Home PEx Campus The Academe

How much is a NMR spectrometer?

I understand that there is only one NMR spectrometer here in the Philippines (incidentally, it is housed at the Ateneo Chemistry Department) because it is that expensive (In fact, it was only made possible through the aid of the World Bank).

I am curious, how much does it cost?

Comments

• mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    you have a lot of x-ray spectrometers scattered around the country. they're at UP and the various government technical departments. they're usually specialized and the only existing of their type in the country. if they break down, it's usually goodbye.

i don't know what NMR is.
  • Originally posted by kungpow
    I understand that there is only one NMR spectrometer here in the Philippines (incidentally, it is housed at the Ateneo Chemistry Department) because it is that expensive (In fact, it was only made possible through the aid of the World Bank).

I am curious, how much does it cost?

to answer your question, nmr is the same technology behing MRI used in hospitals. an NMR spec is primarily used in biology and chemistry labs to identify the structures of molecules and chemicals. it uses the "spin" associated with labeled hydrogen or carbon molecules once placed under strong magnetic fields.

in terms of cost, those babies are very expensive and the costs are pretty variable on what type you get. a low end one can go for about US$20,000. a higher end can go as high as US$1.5 million new or about half the price if you buy it used. im not sure what type ateneo chem dept has.

hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the info only1ice. How come you know so much about NMRs? Are you a scientist? :D
  • By the way, according to the Ateneo Chemistry Department website, they have the 400 Mhz NMR.
    By the way, according to the Ateneo Chemistry Department website, they have the 400 Mhz NMR.

a 400mhz nmr is actually at the low end. the standard and i guess most commonly used nmr these days is 600mhz.

im actually surprised to hear that in the whole country there is only one nmr spec. i remember when i was in high school in manila, ateneo was trying to recruit me to their chem program.

anyway, i dont really know a lot yet in terms of nmr but hopefully soon i will learn significantly more. im not a scientist, i just got accepted into graduate school and will start my PhD program this fall in chemistry and biology.
  • Oh! Great! Which graduate school are you going to? :D
  • I keep telling the chem majors at UP Diliman, "It doesn't matter if you get a 100% passing rate in the board and sweep the top-5 spots. What matters is you get a NMR spectrometer!"

They just won't listen. :(
    Oh! Great! Which graduate school are you going to? :D

i will be attending the scripps research institute in san diego, which coincidentally has the only 900mhz nmr spec in the world. funny coincidence.

actually right now, im just happy to finally graduate college... haha...
  • damn! I want to go there! You must be that damn good! Scripps is like one of the top research institutes in the entire world! How did you get in? What are your GPA and GRE scores? (By the way, where did you graduate college?) Congratulations! I can only dream of attending Scripps....
  • Hey, tyanak_me, why do you keep telling that to the U.P. Diliman chem majors? Its not their fault that the DOST chose Ateneo to keep the one and only NMR spectrometer in the Philippines (through the late Fr. Schmitt of Ateneo) because of the Ateneo Chemistry Department's reputation of keeping the government's scientific equipments well-maintained.
    damn! I want to go there! You must be that damn good! Scripps is like one of the top research institutes in the entire world! How did you get in? What are your GPA and GRE scores? (By the way, where did you graduate college?) Congratulations! I can only dream of attending Scripps....

no, i think im just lucky. how i got in? i just applied, they interviewed me, then im in. my gpa isnt that great, i have a 3.89/4.00. gre scores were 760(V), 780(M), 6.0(A). i will be graduating (finally!) from stanford univ. this june.

i think its not the scores that got me in, bec most of the applicants have good scores. most of the good schools i interviewed at were more interested in previous research done. a simple thesis just doesn't cut it anymore. i worked at 2 different research labs, completed an honors thesis and worked at a couple of biotech companies in the summers. some of the other people who interviewed with me actually took one or two years off, working at different companies after college, before applying to strengthen their application.

seriously, i dont think its out of reach. as long as you work hard. i met someone from UP-diliman... i think he was BS MBB, and he is a lab tech there right now. so its not impossible. but id rather see more of us filipinos get degrees than just work. my 2 cents...
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by kungpow
    ...because of the Ateneo Chemistry Department's reputation of keeping the government's scientific equipments well-maintained.
    those in the gov't units get busted fast because they're used often.
  • Oh, that's great only1lice. Its really one of my goals to take up graduate studies at one of the leading programs in the United States (I would love to attend Stanford, your alma mater hehehehe). 3.89/4.00 is not high for you? In the Philippines, a 3.89/4.00 will be more than enough to make you as class valedictorian (although this year's class valedictorian at the Ateneo studied physics and had a GPA of 3.96/4.00).

I'll definitely take on your advice and do more research after I graduated to strengthen my applilcation. Maybe take on a master's degree or two in the physical sciences at UP Diliman. Then after that, maybe I could join you at the Scripps Research Institute hehehehe. :D

Good luck on your studies at Scripps and update me on what type of research you are doing over there.
  • Hao Lian Kei Kang eh Mac-B beybi? This stir how ah? Anything else, also can.