FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

! ! ! RP Basketball only ranked 41st ! ! !

124»

Comments

• ateneo10ateneo10 buying Magic cards PM me PExer
    Originally posted by elyserva
    Yeah! The Chinese cannot hang in the air or contort their bodies like we do, but by doing so, expend too much energy. And to think we're smaller than them, we expend twice the energy to make a shot.

that just means we have to have a better, deeper rotation like memphis has, when they play 10 people and have games where they all score at least 5 points...
  • elyservaelyserva Crazy Penguin PExer
    We should teach our big men how to shoot! That's the way to get a better, deeper rotation dahil kahit na sino ipasok is a scoring threat. It's not so hard to do! They should just spend more time to practice shooting.

Shin Dong PA, one of the deadliest shooters I've seen, got his deadly touch by constant practice. He's got the talent but still practice shooting. He said he shoots hundreds of shots daily from all angles. I don't see why our players can't do that. Konting sacrifice lang! E hindi e! Ang pina-practice e kung paanong sumalaksak sa ilalim.
  • Cool_EnzCool_Enz The Sports Guy PExer
    Once and for all, let's look at the difference between the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) Tournament and Asian Games basketball competition.

The ABC is a biennial event, being held one year before a major basketball competition like the Olympics and World Basketball Championship. So the next ABC will be on 2005 (for 2006 WBC), 2007 (for 2008 Olympics) and so on. In short, it is a qualifying tournament. Unlike the ABC, the Asian Games is a quadrennial event but it is just a regional competition and will not qualify a team for any higher basketball competition.

At present, the top two finishers in an ABC tournament (for WBC) qualify for the WBC competition proper and the Champion for the ABC (for Olympics) qualifies for the Olympic Games. In contrast, not even a gold medal in the Asian Games will take a team anywhere.

The ABC quarantees WBC and Olympic slots, while the Asian Games give away medals and nothing else.

Teams (except for this nation) send their best players to compete in the ABC since it is a qualifying event and there are normally 16 competing squads. At the last Asian Games in Busan, only twelve teams competed.

In the present situation (I hope this would change fast!!). The Philippines sends an incompetent team composed of non-PBA players to the ABC but sends it's best comprised of an all-star pro squad to the Asia.

The Philippines has consistently placed outside of the top ten in ABC jousts but has made it to the final four in the Asian Games since the PBA started sending its players in 1990.

At the last ABC in 2003, the Philippines was nothing but a laughingstock placing 15th out of 16 teams (thanks to our SEAG "rivals" Malaysia, but at the last Asiad in 2002, the Philippines gave the host nation a scare and came this close from an assured silver medal.

So there you have it. If only the country's best compete consistently in the ABC and Asian Games...by the way, this phrase has already been mentioned for the nth time.

I'm quite familiar with the Asian basketball scene, yes, several teams have improved but one thing's for sure. The Philippines isn't lagging behind our neighbors in terms of talent and competitiveness.

Yes, may never have a chance to be a world power in basketball that we used to be but the mere fact of qualifying in a WBC or even an Olympics is already a big achievement and a great joy for the millions of hoops crazy pinoys.

:D :socool:
  • KARTOGKARTOG Member PExer
    Cool_Enz
    very well said!
  • zarczarc Restarting ✭✭✭
    this is a very nice topic to discuss! siguro ayusin lang muna ang preparation. step by step. kais yung china mahana naman din yan dati. pero dahil sa preparation & basketball programs nila nagkaroon sila ng organized team na palaging sumasali sa mga international games kaya tuluy-tuloy ang development pati pag-gel ng team.
  • greensoapgreensoap Chill pill PExer
    Even if we send PBA players, chances are still dim. They will not fight tooth and nail, they're professionals! for crying out loud! They have a lot to lose. Besides, other Asian countries have improved a lot, and they're naturally bigger than us. Wait until the ex-Soviet republics starts improving. You're right, our only hope is to improve our lowly ranking, which we don't deserve.

baba naman ata ng tingin mo sa mga pba players...khit na they play "for the money"...ginagawa rin nila yun because they love the game, kaya its expected na they'll play their best sa abc not just because of monetary rewards/compensations but also because they also love playing "for the country"...
    We have the skill and they don't??? Hmmm! I wonder why the NBA is scouting in China for talents, not in the Philippines! :rolleyes:

But one thing is sure, they have the height and that we don't!

well, that's CHINA....
  • bchoterbchoter Member PExer
    Originally posted by greensoap
    baba naman ata ng tingin mo sa mga pba players...khit na they play "for the money"...ginagawa rin nila yun because they love the game, kaya its expected na they'll play their best sa abc not just because of monetary rewards/compensations but also because they also love playing "for the country"...
    Originally posted by gakutokamui
    i disagree. this filipino "talent" for basketball is overrated. it really is nothing more than the manifestation of a large population regularly playing the game. at the end of the day, IF the bulk of their population played as much as we did we don't stand a chance. well, maybe a slim one.

the only thing we have going for us is passion. i doubt that that alone will win us anything in this sport of height.

hmmm...that's one way of looking at it...

pero i think it does not follow na porke't ndi fave sport ng ibang countries ang b-ball eh wla na talaga tayong talent dhil sa justification na "the other nations can kick our a_ss if only most of their people knew how to play the sport"...maraming factors to consider (i leave it to the experts like the scholars, doctors, etc. to elaborate on this one)...
    Originally posted by gakutokamui
    i disagree. this filipino "talent" for basketball is overrated. it really is nothing more than the manifestation of a large population regularly playing the game. at the end of the day, IF the bulk of their population played as much as we did we don't stand a chance. well, maybe a slim one.

the only thing we have going for us is passion. i doubt that that alone will win us anything in this sport of height.

hmmm...that's one way of looking at it...

pero i think it does not follow na porke't ndi fave sport ng ibang countries ang b-ball eh wla na talaga tayong talent dhil sa justification na "the other nations can kick our a_ss if only most of their people knew how to play the sport"...maraming factors to consider (i leave it to the experts like the scholars, doctors, etc. to elaborate on this one)...
    We should teach our big men how to shoot! That's the way to get a better, deeper rotation dahil kahit na sino ipasok is a scoring threat. It's not so hard to do! They should just spend more time to practice shooting.

Shin Dong PA, one of the deadliest shooters I've seen, got his deadly touch by constant practice. He's got the talent but still practice shooting. He said he shoots hundreds of shots daily from all angles. I don't see why our players can't do that. Konting sacrifice lang! E hindi e! Ang pina-practice e kung paanong sumalaksak sa ilalim.

dapat nga na mas ma-improve ung rotation natin...i think our speed and physical flexibility are assets, kaya nga our players can drive and contort their bodies..un nga lang pwedeng mapagod agad..

yep, dapat talagang ma-improve ung shooting pero wag naman i-abandon ung pagpractice ng pag-drive sa basket...its always better to be an all around offensive weapon...a scorer...than just being a shooter...
    Nature na ng Pilipino ang ganyang laro, pa-drive-drive, pa-bali-bali ng katawan para maka-shoot lang. Kahit saan ka pumunta, ganyan maglaro ang Pinoy. Ili-layup na lang babaliin pa para magandang tingnan. Very inefficient if you ask me. You don't have to teach them that. What should be taught is to be an "efficient" shooter. Yun bang tipong, uulitin ko ulit, pagnaiwanan e makakashoot. You don't have to score 20+ points a night. Yun bang nakakascore pag-maluwag. Ang problema e walang tiwala sa sarili to shoot.
    Nature na ng Pilipino ang ganyang laro, pa-drive-drive, pa-bali-bali ng katawan para maka-shoot lang. Kahit saan ka pumunta, ganyan maglaro ang Pinoy. Ili-layup na lang babaliin pa para magandang tingnan. Very inefficient if you ask me. You don't have to teach them that. What should be taught is to be an "efficient" shooter. Yun bang tipong, uulitin ko ulit, pagnaiwanan e makakashoot. You don't have to score 20+ points a night. Yun bang nakakascore pag-maluwag. Ang problema e walang tiwala sa sarili to shoot.

well, hindi naman talaga kailangan na turuan pa ang pinoy kung paano mag-drive to the basket properly kasi un nga isa sa specialty natin eh...pero dapat magpractice pa rin sa area na un para ndi mawala ung skill...although its a big, big plus in learning how to hit those jumpers consistently...pangit namang maging 1-dimensional player lang na puro shoot lang kasi delikado pag "inalat o off night sa outside"...mas maganda all-around ang offensive (and defensive) skills...

cguro kelangan lng ituro na wag magyabang at mag acrobatic masyado at madalas sa tira....
    Yun nga ang hirap e, pag-inalat yung shooters natin! Who will take up the slack? Maganda talaga yung kung sino ang malibre mataas ang porsyento na maso-shoot. Problema pa ng defense ng kalaban yun. Hindi naman sila magiging one-dimensional, in fact, madadagdagan pa sila ng offensive weapon, di ba? Practice lang naman ang kailangan para magkaroon ng self-confidence. Konting sacrifice lang, tutal yan naman ang pinagkakakitaan nila. Mahirap kasi yung style natin na puro bali-bali, remember, whether we like it or not maliliit, talaga tayo. Merong malalaki pero mabagal dahil hindi yan ang natural size natin.

Tama ka diyan, wag yung puro "Showtime".
  • BatsBats newbie Turntablist PExer
    actually, kaya tayo nahirapan sa last asian games e hindi tayo nag rely sa skill, athleticism at speed natin. puro post up, kick out then shoot tayo. ok sana kung malakas talaga yung inside game natin. siguradong malilibre yung shooters. e wala naman kwenta si Taulava against China.

We should adapt a running game. matinding scrambling defense (ewan ko kung papaano to :Lol: ) tapos fast break everytime may opportunity. para mapagod din sa defense yung mga kalaban.

I remember dati ('94 ata) , wala sa kanilang makapigil kay Meneses. isolate lang siya palagi, tapos iwan yung bantay niya. and palagi siya nakakakuha ng fouls.

i agree with ateneo10, we should also use our speed and agility. dun lang tayo pwede lumamang e. talo na tayo sa size (against china).

ok siguro yung system ng Coke. parang motion offense din yun. they don't have a dominant big man pero gulpi sa kanila yung ibang teams .
    Originally posted by Bats
    actually, kaya tayo nahirapan sa last asian games e hindi tayo nag rely sa skill, athleticism at speed natin. puro post up, kick out then shoot tayo. ok sana kung malakas talaga yung inside game natin. siguradong malilibre yung shooters. e wala naman kwenta si Taulava against China.

We should adapt a running game. matinding scrambling defense (ewan ko kung papaano to :Lol: ) tapos fast break everytime may opportunity. para mapagod din sa defense yung mga kalaban.

I remember dati ('94 ata) , wala sa kanilang makapigil kay Meneses. isolate lang siya palagi, tapos iwan yung bantay niya. and palagi siya nakakakuha ng fouls.

i agree with ateneo10, we should also use our speed and agility. dun lang tayo pwede lumamang e. talo na tayo sa size (against china).

ok siguro yung system ng Coke. parang motion offense din yun. they don't have a dominant big man pero gulpi sa kanila yung ibang teams .

agree :up:

pero may chance siguro na makalibre ung shooters natin if ndi China ung kalaban...

pero tama, i agree that its better if we adopt a running game, pwede natin i-minimize ung effects ng ating lack of size and i-maximize ung assets natin like speed and agility

and it'll be a tremendous boost if we'll be able to develop a consistent outside shot (think about what Korea did to us during the last asian games...)

in other words...dapat "complete offensive package" ung players natin...pero siyempre dapat marunong din sa defense
  • eydzheyeydzhey WinGmAN PExer
    asa pa tayong tataas yan ranking na anytime soon....like everything else in this country...
124»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file