PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

61* - Roger Maris

I hope the mods would keep this thread here. :D

has any one seen this film produced and directed by Billy Crystal? I think it showcased the chasing of the greatest record in baseball history by showing just how the tandem of Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle tried to go and beat the legendary Babe Ruth's record of 60 homeruns.

The two could not be more opposite. Roger Maris was a product of years out in the country were in the life was slow and simple while Mantle was the athlete who was always living the fast lane. Maris was the timid and always focused athlete (think Tim Duncan) while Mickey Mantle was the crowd favorite flamboyant type.

I think it's only shown on HBO. Great film.

It could even move you to tears. hehe
:glee:

Comments

• eric21eric21 Banned by Admin PExer
    Vis-a vis, Maris is said to be less talented than Mantle. But with the discipline and dedication he accompished more than what was expected of him.

Mantle was the "promise unfulfilled". Naturally gifted but never gave the game the focus required of it. Yet he set records and still is considered as one of the greatest in the game- that's how talented he was!
  • MJMJ Malaking Jird PExer
    yeah it was a nice film!

bad trip yung commissioner nung time na yun coz he wanted to protect Babe Ruth's record, hence the * in Maris' record..
  • faaip_de_oiadfaaip_de_oiad PEX GOD PExer
    Wala pa si Maris sa Hall of Fame kahit na may 2 MVPs na sya at nagtagal ng 37 years yung record nya bago nakuha ni Mark McGwire at Sammy Sosa.

Astig yung film, kamukha talaga nung mga tao yung original athletes! hehe.
  • neth_rowneth_row Moderator ✭✭
    Onga, sarap magtime-travel para batukan yung commish. :glee:

Barry Pepper is one underrated actor. Which I think is expected, wala kasi siyang charisma. He's good nevertheless.
    sobrang gag0 ng pagpakakaportray kay Mickey Mantle - promiscious, may pagka headcase at walang ingat sa katawan. hehe. medyo tactless pa.

Btw, Mickey Mantle hit the longest homer ever - 565 ft.
    hmmm... medyo damaging talaga to para kay Babe Ruth. Ewan, this is coming from someone who doesn't really quite understand what he was to the game. The only world series that I watched was the D-backs and Yanks some years back.

Kung wala kang alam sa baseball history, magiging idol mo si Roger Maris pagkatapos mong mapanood to.

neth_row: sige, sayo yung commish, akin yung reporters! hehe
  • Chief Wahoo!Chief Wahoo! has CHINITAPHILIA PExer
    Nice portrayal of the movie. I totally loved it.

Barry Pepper REALLY does look like Roger Maris. Great choice for the part.

As for the asterisk (*), I really think it should stay because Maris hit 61 in 162 games while Ruth hit his 60 in 154 games in 1927. Baseball back then only had a 154-game schedule unlike in 1961, the games had been extended to 162 games. If Maris broke the record before the 154th game, then by all means, he does own the record. However, Maris broke the record in his 162nd and final game of the season.

If Bonds is found guilty of taking steroids, would baseball put an asterisk on his 73 in 2001? What about McGwire who admitted to taking steroids when he hit 70 in 1998, should he get an asterisk too? Just a thought, guys...
    Don't you buy Roger Maris' argument on the bigger league and longer road trips? And how about the fact that Babe Ruth had 14 extra games as well when he broke the record (one of the reporters said that during the conference - the pro-Maris guy).

hmmm... McGwire has admitted that he has taken steroids? wow... im sooooo ignorant. hehe. :glee:
    Originally posted by faaip_de_oiad
    sobrang gag0 ng pagpakakaportray kay Mickey Mantle - promiscious, may pagka headcase at walang ingat sa katawan. hehe. medyo tactless pa.

Btw, Mickey Mantle hit the longest homer ever - 565 ft.

I felt the movie kinda portrayed Mantle wrongly although I don't know his life history well enough. I trust that Billy Crystal did his research on Mick's life, aside from the fact that they both knew each other in real life.

Mick hit the longest measured homerun at 565 ft. Unofficially, it was said that Ruth hit one that traveled over 600 ft. He was said to have done it in his last game as a Boston Brave at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh (vs. Pirates) during the 1935 season. Baseball books and the movie "The Babe" reflect this.

The called shot in the 1932 World Series, for me, is still the best homerun ever hit by the Babe.
    Originally posted by faaip_de_oiad
    Don't you buy Roger Maris' argument on the bigger league and longer road trips? And how about the fact that Babe Ruth had 14 extra games as well when he broke the record (one of the reporters said that during the conference - the pro-Maris guy).

hmmm... McGwire has admitted that he has taken steroids? wow... im sooooo ignorant. hehe. :glee:

Yup, the steroids name was andro-something. I forgot...

I didn't really pay attention to that scene when the sportswriters and the baseball commish were talking about the asterisk. In any case, I don't really buy into that "longer road trips and bigger league" argument. I don't believe Ruth had 14 more games than Maris because baseball then in 1927 had 154 games while the game expanded in 1961 to 162 games.

Both records, in my opinion, should stand.
  • AnthonyServinioAnthonyServinio Member In Focus ✭✭✭
    Another factor that should also be considered in this debate aside from the length of the season is the issue of pitching. Major League Baseball has added expansion teams through the years, including four teams (Colorado, Florida, Arizona and Tampa Bay) in the last decade. More teams meant the talent was spread out resulting in the weakening of teams' pitching staffs. Gone are the days when majority of the teams could field a solid four-man pitching rotation. Today, only the few lucky ones can claim a solid four-man rotation. Hence, it was easier for sluggers Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds because they faced relatively weaker pitchers more often.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file