FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Anyone interested in Sweden?

Hi everyone,

This is my first thread posting so bear with me. I lived in Sweden for 5 years until it got too cold for my Philippines bones.

I'm looking to chat with people interested in that wonderful country noted for their beautiful people. Jag pratar svenska t.o.m.

Comments

• tina11tina11 Member PExer
    hi JB! christianne from the PEx Book Club here :wave:

my husband is actually half swedish and he lived there for about 3 years. he wants us to stay in the ice hotel when we go there. he even showed me a pic... but like you, i don't think i could stand the cold :eek:

were you working or studying while you were there? what places did you like to visit?
  • JB NalangJB Nalang Member PExer
    Hi Tina,

I was wondering why your last name is Sandstig. :)

I was an AIESEC trainee in Gothenburg. Went there after graduating from DLSU for a 6 month's traineeship at Volvo, fell in love with my reception officer, and ended up working for them for 12 years in Sweden, Japan and Thailand. Whew!

heard of the Ice Hotel but I'd rather go up Kebenekaiser (Sweden's highest mountain). But my traveling days must be postponed as I'm full up with my Kinabuhayan Cafe Bed&Breakfast at the foothills of the mystic Mt. Banahaw.

Why don't you and your hubby come over? :) I'd appreciate an introduction to swedes in the Philippines. All my swedish friends have left and I need to practice my swedish.

For places to visit in Sweden, I would suggest any of the Stads Museums, the museum of the sculptor Milles in Stockholm (can't remember if that's his name but he did the famous angel statue in the Rockefeller Ice Skating Rink in New York), University Town Upsalla during the Valborg festival, and Gothenburg's little mini-village set up in the middle ages.

Be sure to go summertime!!!

/jb (aka winston baltasar
    0917 327 1106
    0917 524 1106
    [email protected]
    http://www.klar.us/kinabuhayan_cafe
    what an interesting way to start a career at volvo :glee: my husband's been trying to teach me swedish but it's so hard! matigas pa naman dila ko. :hopeless:

yup, i heard that sweden has no shortage of museums and natural wonders. can't wait to go there :)
    Madali lang yang swedish. Open your mouth and say "ishkiduldiduldidul". :)
  • black_deathblack_death Banned by Admin PExer
    I would really like to go there and meet Swedish women. Aiyt? :)
    Mayroon ding mga dumadating sa Pinas. Go to the beaches, especially the ones frequented by foreigners in Puerto Galera and Boracay.

But honestly, black_death, after living in Sweden for 5 years, sa Pinay pa rin ako.
  • bahiamanbahiaman Member PExer
    i had only been to stockholm, and only for a few days. but i had a great time. i thought the swedes are one of the nicest people in the world not to mention good looking

if i were to go back where do you suggest me to go?

i have to say that stockholm could be the place for the sosyal Pinoys. i met 3 pinoys while i was there, one was a ramp model, the other owns a huge art gallery and the last one a socialite. a pinay socialite who works on charity almost 100% in stockholm, unbelievable
  • kyle618kyle618 Member PExer
    Can you tell me more about the city of Helsingborg? I got accepted to a summer school at Lund University. If it's from June 5-18, how much would I expect to pay total for lunch, dinner, and pocket money? The program is going to pay for my accomodation already. I'm not sure if it's okay though to live in a hostel there. Also, would you know how much the round trip airfare is from Manila to Helsingborg and back? The airport nearest is the one in Copenhagen (Kastrup). What would the weather be like around that time?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by bahiaman
    i had only been to stockholm, and only for a few days. but i had a great time. i thought the swedes are one of the nicest people in the world not to mention good looking

if i were to go back where do you suggest me to go?

I've always wanted to go up Kebenekaiser, the highest mountain in Sweden. Then cross to westwards to Norway to take the Sjutiruten (don't know if I spelled that right) which is a boat that will take you down to the beautiful town of Bergen. Beautiful scenic fjords on the way.

But you asked about Sweden, not Norway. Please read my first post for suggestions on where to go.

Also important is WHEN to go. Summer is best when it's 20 and sometimes even 30% celcius. And the people are friendlier. Yes, they're moods are seasonal. :)
    Originally posted by kyle618
    Can you tell me more about the city of Helsingborg? I got accepted to a summer school at Lund University. If it's from June 5-18, how much would I expect to pay total for lunch, dinner, and pocket money? The program is going to pay for my accomodation already. I'm not sure if it's okay though to live in a hostel there. Also, would you know how much the round trip airfare is from Manila to Helsingborg and back? The airport nearest is the one in Copenhagen (Kastrup). What would the weather be like around that time?

Thanks!

Helsingborg is pretty. It's like the gentle south in the US. Try and get as dark as you can prior to going because that makes you really exotic. :)

Sorry I can't help you with prices. I haven't been there in 7 years. I suggest you find a good travel agent.

As for the weather, please see my previous post.
    I got accepted to a summer school at Lund University. If it's from June 5-18, how much would I expect to pay total for lunch, dinner, and pocket money? The program is going to pay for my accomodation already. I'm not sure if it's okay though to live in a hostel there. Also, would you know how much the round trip airfare is from Manila to Helsingborg and back? The airport nearest is the one in Copenhagen (Kastrup). What would the weather be like around that time?

first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! :handsdown: i'm jealous - i want to study there too... someday :) mind if i ask how you applied for the summer program?

i'll ask my husband if he knows how much airfare costs, but he's mentioned that trains are a cheaper way to travel within sweden and the trains there are really fast and (compared to the trains here in pinas) comfortable.

mura lang daw ang airfare within europe if you fly via ryanair. it's the airfare from asia to europe that's going to hurt you ;) so i guess you can fly via the big airlines to amsterdam or some other big european city, then find out which is nearer to helsinborg -stockholm or gothenberg (did i spell that right?), fly there via ryanair, then take the train to helsinborg.

some helpful links:
    www.ryanair.com
    http://www.visit-sweden.com/gb/frontpage.asp
    Originally posted by black_death
    I would really like to go there and meet Swedish women. Aiyt? :)

With all due humility, I've been there and done that. Sa pinay pa rin ako. :)
  • EinaEina Member PExer

Thanks!

kyle, have you tried visiting The Helsingborg Guide ?

How much money you'll need will of course vary considerably depending on where you plan to eat, but my rough estimate would be 2,000-3,000 SEK (about 10,000-15,000 PHP).

If you want to save, go for fastfood. A hamburger (and yeah, I mean the plain hamburger) and medium soda at McDonald's will cost you about a 100 pesos. If eating healthy is a priority, they also offer salads and the like. 7-Eleven usually has different kinds of pasta and hotdogs and you can buy sandwiches at the Pressbyr?n. Also, check out the school cafeteria. And there's always the hotdog kiosk.

If you'd prefer sit-down dining, restaurants usually post their daily specials (d?gens r?tt) on a board standing on the sidewalk, so keep an eye out for those.

If you'll need to commute to school, consider getting a Rabattkort so you can save on the bus fare.

I'm sure the univeristy would secure decent accommodations for you. However, if you know the name of the hostel, you could try searching for it on the web to put your mind at ease.

The roundtrip Manila-Helsingborg airfare will cost about USD1,200.00 through a travel agent. Don't purchase directly from an airline as that will be more expensive.

June is summertime, but keep a light jacket/windbreaker or pullover handy.

Hope your trip will be fun and fruitful.
  • EinaEina Member PExer
    Oops, just checked the exchange rate. It's now at 6.86, so 2,000-3,000 SEK would be closer to 14,000-21,000 PHP

That 19kr McDonald's hamburger and drink combo is now going to cost 140 pesos. I'm only using that as an example to give you an idea of how much things in Sweden cost in comparison to the Philippines. You probably won't feel full after that meal and I'm not suggesting that you eat it day in and day out. I think 50-75kr per meal is probably more realistic for fastfood unless you're not much of an eater.

Bus fare is 12kr per trip, 9.60kr if you get the 100kr Rabattkort.
    Kyle,

When I started in Sweden as a trainee for Volvo, I bought bread (usually the long french baguette), butter and ham. Also green vegetables para healthy. :)

That's as cheap as you can get. hehe.

Always better to buy food and prepare at home. After I got tired of bread, I learned to cook. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? Hopefully, there will be a stove available for you.

I believe there are asian food stores in the major cities, and even some small towns as more asians have immigrated to Sweden. You can get asian rice, delatas, and even vegetables airfreighted in.
  • John MayerJohn Mayer City Love PExer
    Ala bang visa na kelangan dito?
  • fr34kfr34k Banned by Admin PExer
    honga...parang feel kong pumunta ng sweden for a vacation lang, pero kung madaming hassles like getting a tourist visa and all that jazz, huwag na lang...

i'm from hawaii, btw....gusto ko lang maitry ang ibang environment.
  • BaLdoMarOBaLdoMarO Member PExer
    Originally posted by fr34k
    honga...parang feel kong pumunta ng sweden for a vacation lang, pero kung madaming hassles like getting a tourist visa and all that jazz, huwag na lang...

i'm from hawaii, btw....gusto ko lang maitry ang ibang environment.
    If you have an American Passport, you wont need a Visa to gain entry.

JB Nalang- How many days would I need to see the major sights of Scandinavia (excluding Iceland) and what is the avg. temp in Summer?
    Originally posted by BaLdoMarO
    JB Nalang- How many days would I need to see the major sights of Scandinavia (excluding Iceland) and what is the avg. temp in Summer?

That's a difficult question to answer (no. of days) because it's very subjective. For some people 30 minutes in a museum is enough for them, for others they want a week.

Let me instead enumerate some sights to see in each of the major cities then bahala ka na how many days you want to stay.

Stockholm:
    - The Vasa museum: sunken ship restored
    - The National museum
    - The Milles museum: this sculptor made the famous sculpture at that famous ice skating rink in New York which is featured in many movies.

Oslo, Norway:
    - The Viggelund park, filled with interesting sculptures
    - The National museum
    - The Thor Hejerdahl boat (can't remember if it was the Ra or the Kon-tiki

Copenhagen, Denmark:
    - The Little Mermaid statue: You'll be surprised when you see her face. Most pictures show her back.
    - Can't remember much more but they had a great Carneval on the streets sometime in May, I think.

Finland, I don't know much of.

Summer is perfect weather (unless it rains). Temperature ranges from 20 to 35 degrees celsius. But it might get colder if there is a cold wave.

Have fun!
  • junben_cjunben_c Member PExer
    sweden is ranked no. 2 among the world's best places to live in behind norway (another nordic country). parang ang sarap mag immigrate sa mga countries na to. any idea as to how?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file