FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

One event you can wipe out

If you have the power to wipe out ONE event in our history, what would it be?

I would wipe out Martial Law. This country, prior to that period, was way ahead of our neighboring Asian countries. What would you choose?

Comments

• WangieWangie Member PExer
    Being the fatalist that i am (in terms of events and happenings shaping society anyway), i'd say i don't want to change anything in the course of history. everything that happened all did so for a reason.

i wouldn't change martial law either...we wouldn't have understood that value of democracy that way.

:)
  • KamatayanKamatayan www.digitalfrap.com PExer
    I would wipe out the invention of the necktie...
  • The SaintThe Saint Registered User PExer
    Martial Law is definitely the sole reason why we are so behind. Before Martial Law, the Philippine Airforce was the most feared in Asia. It was the Philippines who first acquired jet planes and it was the Philippines who first acquired supersonic jetfighters (F-5). PAL is Asia's first Airline. A Singaporean once said that the first toilet flush he saw in the Philippines. The exchange rate then was PhP2 to USD1.

• batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator ✭✭
    First of all, let me say that I would keep things the way they were - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.

Secondly, let me point out that while the Philippines was the site of many firsts in Asia, the truth is, there is certainly no assurance that we would have maintained that leadership. We are a much less homogenous society compared to Korea or Japan and we lack their discipline and determination as a people. Don't get me wrong, I'm as pro-Filipino as they come but while we certainly would be better off perhaps overall without Martial Law, we've all learned a few lessons from this experience - one of which was just recently evident - the fact that our economy withered the recent and still ongoing economic crisis relatively well.

BTW, the P2-$1 was a very artificial rate and not a floating and during the latter period where this was still the "official" rate, trades were being made regularly at a blackmarket rate that valued the peso much lower (eg. P5 to P7 to $1).
  • DavidDavid Member PExer
    Erap becoming President.
  • AngelaneAngelane Member PExer
    ERAP WINNING THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!
  • abraqkadabraabraqkadabra resident lurker PExer
    marcos' second term and eventually he declaring martial law...
  • dondon es muy guapo, ese! PExer
    definitely marcos becoming president. everything in the philippines got worse since then, but i think that its greatest victim is innocence. i never lived in those times, obviously, but i'd like to think that in the old days, politics, the military, and law enforcement were respected professions. the widespread corruption created cynics out of all of us, i guess. now, it's commonplace to hear politicos stealing and soldiers and policemen abusing their power. that really sucks.
  • XandersXanders Doctor of Thuganomics PExer
    Erap being born.
  • topixtopix Member PExer
    If I have the power to change history.... I just wish Imelda Marcos was never born in this world. She was the reason for all our foreign debt, the martial law and almost all the national problem that we have. She is also the reason for the culture of corruption and cryonism that is already lurking and deeply embedded in our system and in the way of life of most Filipinos now a days.
  • bunnybunny s p u n k y PExer
    That poverty didnt exist. event ba yun? :)
  • Orion D.Orion D. ex-MODE-rator PExer
    Batang Uliran: I definitely agree with you on the points you raised in your second paragraph about the differences we have with Japan and Korea. (cultural homogeneity and level of discipline)

It is for this same reason as well, that when people use such countries as Thailand, Korea, Japan as reference points to the Philippines, I complain about the comparison not being an "apples to apples" one... (Most especially when people raise the "why do we need to use a foreign language like English, when Thailand, Korea, and Japan don't?..." question.)

As for what would I wish were wiped out, I wouldn't give you an event, but I'd prefer to have the Filipino's FORGETFULNESS wiped out. Why, so many people forget about the atrocities committed during Martial Law, and have allowed the Marcoses to come back to positions of power. Others forget about who the cronies were and have placed these same dorks back into the companies they stole into.

And of course, so many people forget how stupid one particular actor was and who he was friends with (those same cronies and that family who's patriarch was to blame for martial law) and still got him to lead this country into the dumps...

So many of us are so damned forgetful... That's what should be wiped out! :)

• clowned_outclowned_out Banned by Admin PExer
    I would wipe out Noynoy Aquino's presidency.
  • vonrichtoffenvonrichtoffen The Baron PExer
    I would wipe out Noynoy Aquino's presidency.

ako rin. baka maging nightmare ito.
  • HelpWantedHelpWanted Member PExer
    I would wipe out the event that would lead to the stupidity, the laziness etc. of many Filipinos.
  • wowpinaswowpinas Anyone But Noy! PExer
    Wipe out Cory Presidency - one of the worst disasters for the Philippines. We're still dealing with legacy problems left by her administration now.
  • HoremHoremHoremHorem Gumagawa ng Orasyon PExer
    Wow, inungkat talaga ang thread na ito ah.

I think I want to wipe out the Holocaust.
  • omiboyomiboy Member PExer
    wowpinas wrote: »
    Wipe out Cory Presidency - one of the worst disasters for the Philippines. We're still dealing with legacy problems left by her administration now.

cory presidency was an effect, you have to wipe out the root which was marcos and martial law.. think of butterfly effect.. or better yet, diosdado macapagal (so that we wouldn't have to contend with an illegitimate daughter who is now an illegitimate president).. :lol:
  • mayagibsonmayagibson Member PExer
    If I can remove anything in history, I'll remove the day Hitler was born.

Based on the majority of posts in this thread -- "Ignorance is indeed a bliss" --- quite amusing that a person "accused and never proven to be guilty" of wrong-doings is a bigger priority to be removed than a man who is responsible for WW2 (with an estimated 55 million deaths worldwide - from soldiers, civilians and deaths of millions of Jews due to ethnic cleansing)
  • wowpinaswowpinas Anyone But Noy! PExer
    omiboy wrote: »
    cory presidency was an effect, you have to wipe out the root which was marcos and martial law.. think of butterfly effect.. or better yet, diosdado macapagal (so that we wouldn't have to contend with an illegitimate daughter who is now an illegitimate president).. :lol:

No, if someone more competent had taken over after Marcos, the Philippines would have been better off. It was a chance to begin anew, while building on Macoy's accomplishments. Doy Laurel, for example. Cory stole the presidency from him :bop:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file