Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Why talk peace with the MILF?

Do we really have to waste our time trying to forge a peace pact with the MILF? To my mind and to what I have been seeing in the papers lately, there is not an ounce of sincerity in this group. So why bother? Why not just blast them to oblivion? As I recall, their group was virtually forgotten by the rest of the country until the government thought of talking to them, thus allowing them all the time to regroup and even strengthen its ranks. I don't want to sound 'war-freakish' but I just believe that there is no point whatsoever in continuing with this exercise and wasting time. Akala ko ba sabi ni Erap "hindi bine-baby ang rebellion, ito ay pinupuksa..."

Comments

• Well, it's what diplomacy is all about. The government must exhaust all peaceful means before embarking on war. Peace talks every so often simply signify the government's dedication to a peaceful solution to the insurgency.

However, I do think you've got a point, jjeronimo. People are dying uselessly in the south simply because of the lack of political will to contain the MILF. I think the government simply doesn't have the resources to finish the issue once and for all. Now, if this were the United States...
  • hmmm... i'd like to think that peace is worth all the effort we're giving it. if at anything, kulang sa attention. whether we like it or not, these people are pinoys with grievances. they wouldn't wage a war naman if wala silang gustong i-tama. i mean, if its grievances they're talking about, then the government SHOULD, and i daresay, IS MORALLY BOUND, to listen and address these grievances. minority nga sila, majority tayo. but remember that one of the most wonderful things in a democracy is that although it is the will of the majority that prevails, the minority still has a voice to speak with. to ignore them and dismiss the peace efforts as a waste of time would be marginalize them and worsen the situation. we have to address their needs, not ignore them.

[This message has been edited by blue babe (edited 01-20-2000).]
  • i am from the south and sometimes i wish i were a moslem so i'd also understand what is truly going on, what they are fighting for... i'm sure i'd probably do the same if i were in their position ... i mean one wouldn't join a rebellion just for kicks, di ba? it's a serious thing and the reason for joining such a group has to be valid and moving..

i agree with aragorn that government must exhaust all peaceful means before embarking on a war ... but i think blue babe has a more valid point in saying that "to ignore them and dismiss the peace efforts as a waste of time would be to marginalize them and worsen the situation." ... in a sense, the only option is a sincere dialogue ... pretty idealistic huh? may even sound impossible but i guess peace wouldn't be as prized and valued as it is if it were as easy as wishing for it or if no loved ones had to die for it... sad huh? it is seems to be a fact of life...

historically speaking, mindanao is their land ... in a sense we are invaders in a land that has its own rich culture and tradition, one which was theirs... but the reality now is that we have to live together ... whose fault it is/was should mean less now as now see each other as equals (i hope!) ... "we" has to mean people from both sides of the fence ... i am not sure if this rebellion is still a religous issue or if the gov't only uses this to steer away from more pertinent concerns of mindanao.. but if it were, i'd say that islam and christianity have more in common if one really thinks about it... i even sometimes think that the bond that these religions share can bring peace ... if only christians were true christians and moslems were true moslems ...

to fight fire with fire would only worsen things... i'm not saying that they instantly be given what they ask for ... to be honest, i don't think anyone really knows what's the best way to solve this since no one can be in both sides of the problem as to clearly see what the issue really is and fight for "our" common interests.. i guess we have to be patient, and also contribute to peace in our little way ... our quest for peace will become a reality, if we want it bad enough and believe in it ... we did it before in EDSA '86 .. why not again?

:)

[This message has been edited by ruff (edited 01-22-2000).]
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Certainly the priority should always be peace and even if there is but a flicker of hope, this is something that should be aspired to. If the government has agreed that the MILF is a hopeless case, then the leadership should have the political will to end this once and for all.
This discussion has been closed.