[MERGED] Urinary tract infection ( UTI )

Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
When I got it before, my mom accused me of sleeping around (like duh?). My doctor, however asked me if I was holding my piss for long hours (actually I am guilty of that) or if I just finished my period. She says that napkins also cause it. What really causes it?

From what I gathered...
Sex
Holding urine for long periods
Harsh Chemicals in napkins
Washing your butt the wrong way after defecating
Lack of water

I also learned that 35% of the female population have UTI mainly because of holding it for long periods of time in traffic. After all, women don't and will not piss on the walls like dogs.

Is there any other causes?

Comments

• IraIra Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Tell your mom that you don't necessarily have to be a slut to get UTI. ;) Even virgins can get UTI--it's a result of bacteria spontaneously ascending from the vagina to the bladder. Some evidence exists that repeated UTIs in certain women may be due to blood factors that increase the urethra's and vagina's susceptibility for binding bacteria to their walls.

While the most common cause of UTI in females is sex, women are by nature more prone to develop UTI. The female urethra (1 1/2 inches) is a lot shorter than the male urethra (8 inches), which facilitates the ascent of organisms into your bladder. Some women also inherently lack fucosyltransferase activity, dooming them to forever be prone to UTIs. Other causes of UTI include failure to empty your bladder, diabetes, pregnancy, "non-breathable" panties (e.g. nylon--use cotton-crotch undies and pantihoses instead) and napkins (esp. if you don't change it frequently), tightfitting pants, lack of fluid intake, holding your urine, wiping from back to front after using the toilet (or not wiping at all), menopause, blood type (some women have a P1 blood group subtype, which causes them to have large numbers of vaginal and urethral cells that attract and bind a strain of E. coli resistant to normal infection-fighting mechanisms; some have a higher incidence of factors called Lewis blood group antigens which decrease their resistance), using strong antibacterial soaps to clean your genitalia (kills the friendly bacterial colonizers--use feminine washes instead), strong detergents in laundering your undies, perfume/bath oils/powder application on the genitalia, smoking, using the bathtub, presence of kidney stones, and for the pediatric population, a structural problem causing what is known as vesicoureteral reflux.
  • avajavaj activegal PExer
    i agree with you Doc Ira!

Anyway, when i had it, my doctor told me to intake a lot of water and juices to cure it. And she's right cause i have more problem regariding this.
  • doc ira!!

im also suffering the same problem like ice burn's..
    i already have UTI since i was in grade skul, pero it got cured na already...until i've been engaged on sex...
    it was my first time though,
    andnow m rily having a hard time peeing and my lowerback always ache, does it mean dt my UTI is attacking me again...
    and my big problem is io cant ask help to my mon because i'm afraid she'll know that m already having a sexual intercourse...HELP!
  • jhoenathanjhoenathan Member PExer
    Originally posted by marshmallows
    doc ira!!

i already have UTI since i was in grade skul, pero it got cured na already...until i've been engaged on sex...
    andnow m rily having a hard time peeing and my lowerback always ache, does it mean dt my UTI is attacking me again...
    and my big problem is io cant ask help to my mon because i'm afraid she'll know that m already having a sexual intercourse...HELP!

sorry doc ira inunahan kita. i think meron kang UTI kasi ung friend ko sumasakit ung likod at masakit pag umiihi. Nang nagpacheck-up sya, ang sabi ng doctor meron siyang UTI.
    Originally posted by marshmallows
    doc ira!!

Go to a laboratory and have a urinalysis done. Post the results here and let's see what we can do. Do you have fever, by the way?
  • cakescakes Member PExer
    Why do you get UTI when its your first time to have sex?
    Ganun ba palagi yun?:)
    You don't get UTI automatically the first time you have sex. There is no difference between first timers and veterans when it comes to susceptibility to UTI due to sex.
  • DELISYUSDELISYUS Only 15% Lesbian PExer
    err...doc ira...what about pregnancy and UTI???

when i had it last january, and a friend had it too (she was preggy), everybody thought we were both preggy coz almost all those who've had it before (thw women) had it the first time they had sex.....and when they first got pregnant....
    While it is much more common for pregnant women to develop UTI (because the hormonal and anatomic changes make the urinary tract more bacteria-friendly), it does not automatically mean that just because you have UTI you're pregnant. Not all pregnant women have UTI.
  • phantomphantom Member PExer
    Is it true that drinking cranberry juice helps cure UTI?
    Yup, it's true. Cranberry juice prevents UTI's not because of the acidic nature of the cranberry juice, nor because of the Vitamin C content, but rather due to compounds called proanthocyanidins which prevent the attachment of E.Coli to the walls of the urinary tract. E. Coli is a major culprit in UTI's. Blueberry juice works as well. This does not imply that a regimen of cranberry juice should replace antibiotics as the therapy of choice when treatment is needed, but it could be a useful adjunct to treatment. Cranberry juice works best with asymptomatic, mild UTI, but it would be better to take antibiotics once symptoms occur.
  • dreyesdreyes Member PExer
    I think I'm having UTI. What antibiotic is usually given to this disease?

Thanks.
    What are your symptoms and did you ever have a history of UTI in the past? If so, what antibiotics were previously given to you and did you take them at the right dose and at the length of time your doctor prescribed you?
  • bluemoon88bluemoon88 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hello doc Ira.
    is it UTI when I cant pee properly?
    there's no pain associated with it naman, pero
    napipigil yung pag-pee ko.
    like for ex: I just pee, tpos parang feeling mo, you're still naiihi na naman pero wala naman.
    is it UTI kaya? i dont have any fevers rin like yung symptoms ng UTI.

pls help me:(
  • DELISYUSDELISYUS Only 15% Lesbian PExer
    it may be UTI..... and i suggest you go to a doctor... and have a urinalysis first... even Doc Ira can't really conclude anything until you've had the urinalysis.....

and self-medicating is bad practice :)

meanwhile...drink cranberry or buko juice.....
  • dreyesdreyes Member PExer
    Hi Doc Ira,
    This is the first time I had UTI. My symptoms are:
    1. pain in the back and below the abdomen
    2. frequent urinating

I'm taking Unasyn 375 mg for 3 days (twice a day) and I forgot my medicine in Manila. I can't find this medicine here and my symptoms recur.

Any alternive medicine for this?

Thanks
    bluemoon88: Are you male or female? Are you sexually active? Any other symptom like fever, abdominal pain, etc.? If you want, you can go to any laboratory, request for a urinalysis and post the results here.
    dreyes: Sounds like you have cystitis, a form of lower urinary tract infection. Since you've been taking antibiotics for 3 days now I seriously doubt if a urinalysis would still reveal anything out of the ordinary. You can take co-trimoxazole 800/160mg (this is the generic name--any brand will do, and it's widely available) 2x a day for 7 days. Please complete the 1 week antibiotic treatment even if you already feel better, otherwise there is a chance that it's going to be suboptimally treated and will recur.
  • dudelishdudelish squeak. PExer
    i had hematuria (blood traces in my urine) and after a couple of uncomfortable tests, like pumping my system with iodine to take an x-ray of my kidneys, and shoving an optic cable the size of a mouse cord up my urethra past the prostate and into the bladder, turns out there was an infection. they found culture in my urine sample.

my doctor gave me macrobid, a common antibiotic. see your doctor first. it might be something more than that. an inflamed bladder, kidney or prostate (hopefully not the last one if you're female).

doc ira, was it really necessary to shove a scope up my pututuy to diagnose my situation? or should they have waited for the culture first?
  • bluemoon88bluemoon88 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Ira
    bluemoon88: Are you male or female? Are you sexually active? Any other symptom like fever, abdominal pain, etc.? If you want, you can go to any laboratory, request for a urinalysis and post the results here.

hello doc I'm a Female, I'm not that sexually active.
    But yeah, when I urinate especially at mornin, I experience some abdominal pains although not that severe naman. pero the rest of the day ok na naman pag-wee-wee ko.
    Pero occassionally during the day, I still experience it.
    What can you advice? should I seek an Eurologist?

thanks for replyin doc!:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file