Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought

what does it really mean when you put "quotation marks" on words?

.. or sentences? :D

Comments

• balutbalut PEx Rookie ⭐
    it means thats whats in question
  • oh "reeeeaaalllyyy"? :D jke/
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    normal words should be understood by denotation. quoted words should be understood by connotation.
  • Originally posted by Ischaramoochie
    normal words should be understood by denotation. quoted words should be understood by connotation.

Uhm??? pano nga ba uli tatalino? :confused:

deh joke hanapin ko nalang sa dictionary.
  • Pinoys tend to abuse the double quotes.

eg

Mac "en" Me (some foodhaus)
    City Hall "via" Commonwealth (or somesuch, found on the side of a jeepney)

I'll try to remember the rest.
  • In writing, quotation marks are used mainly for two purposes:

1. To cite a direct quote
    - e.g. In a speech she gave last year, she said: "I won't run for a second term".

2. To denote that a word has a meaning different from its original one (not to be taken literally)
    - e.g. She is my brother's "friend".
    or: Just how old is that "fresh" fish, anyway?

Quotation marks are also used to enclose titles of works (such as plays, etc) when being discussed.
    - e.g. Have you seen the movie "Paycheck"? It was so bad that I should have stayed at home and finished reading "The Lord of the Rings" instead.

The use of italics instead of enclosing in quotation marks is also accepted.
    - e.g. Have you seen the movie Paycheck? It was so bad that I should have stayed at home and finished reading The Lord of the Rings instead.

Quotation marks have also been used when a word being used is a foreign word (meaning not an English word)
    - e.g. My cousin prefers his farm "kubo" than his city apartment.

However, for the last example, it is more appropriate to use italics instead.
    - e.g. My cousin prefers his farm kubo than his city apartment.

I know there are other reasons for using quotation marks, but the above-mentioned ones are the most common.
  • lightoflife2.gif
    :imu: when you put quotation,it means that you are referring to someonelse's word or phrase,or you are using specific term to emphasize what you really mean.
  • for citation and/or for emphasis, (though the meaning of the phrase emphasized is still contextual).
    if done for the purpose of citation, quoting then means trapping the author in his/her pristine thought, in order to ensure the objectivity of one's exposition.
  • Strunk and White had a term for that: putting on airs. It's like you have a connotation for the word or phrase that only an exclusive group understands.
  • pag may quotation marks para bang may different meaning or hidden meaning. o kaya pag ibang language pag hndi nakaitalize. or kapag kinoquote lang ung sinabi ng isang tao...
  • Or you can also look up the "Uses of Quotation Marks"
    in your dictionary, which is the most handy reference
    you've got at home.

;)
  • It means you do not want to be misinterpreted. The analytical philosopher Wittgenstein is who I recommend to you about the metaphysical aspects of the uses of language and symbols.
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    earlier or later wittgenstein?