Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Many missing in Manila ferry fire

At least 150 are missing after a fire on board a Philippines ferry forced many to abandon ship.

More than 600 other passengers and crew were rescued and there are hopes that the missing people were picked up by other ships.

There were about 860 passengers and crew aboard the Superferry 14, which reportedly has a capacity of well over 1,000 people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3491206.stm

Comments

• mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    the water around corregidor is between 20 and 60 meters deep. at the mouth of the bay, 90 meters. i can't understand why the ship would founder so fast, SF14 is relatively new.
  • Originally posted by mac_bolan00
    the water around corregidor is between 20 and 60 meters deep. at the mouth of the bay, 90 meters. i can't understand why the ship would founder so fast, SF14 is relatively new.
    According to the report it can safely carry over 1000 passengers. Does this estimate compare with other countries recommendations.
    I recall many years ago making 2 trips to a ciinema in Manila. On both occasions the aisles and all standing room was packed.
    In the UK and I presume in most countries this would seriously contravene fire regulations. I don't know if this is still happening but if it is then I wonder if there is also no control of passenger numbers on these ferrries. The report did say that they have a very poor record?
  • and to think superferry is considered to be one of the better carriers. my prayers go for the victims.
  • Pinoy inter-island vessels have passenger accomodations laid out like slave ships.

Double-deck bunk beds are packed side by side with hardly any space for luggage (so isles are cluttered with luggage which poses as a hazard in times of emergency).

During peak season, foldable beds (tejeras - I think) are made available and laid out wherever space permits to "increase passenger capacity". So on top of "standard capacity" we have "peak season capacity". Tsk tsk...

Talk about perverted "Pinoy ingenuity"! :lol:

And the biggest public secret of the passenger shipping industry is that not all of these passengers appear on the passenger manifest!

That's The Pinoy Way for you...

Implementing "efficiency gains" through short-cutting...

...all packaged under the banner of "Filipino Ingenuity"!

:lol:

Visit Get Real Philippines!! for more views like this.
  • brownpaubrownpau PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Just for the laughing emoticons I really should regard that above post as a troll, but I'm going to assume benign0 was on a caffeine high or something.

DNFTT.
    Abu Sayyaf claims to have bombed the ship. No evidence of explosives, however, and none of the injured suffered from shrapnel injuries. Abu Sayyaf just trying to show they haven't jumped the shark?
  • Originally posted by brownpau
    Abu Sayyaf claims to have bombed the ship. No evidence of explosives, however, and none of the injured suffered from shrapnel injuries. Abu Sayyaf just trying to show they haven't jumped the shark?

Maybe this time they really did a Fonzie!
  • Confusion over Manila ferry dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/as...fic/3521671.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/as...ific/175385.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/as...fic/1923453.stm

For debating....my very last post in PEX. When I first joined it was a free for all which in many aspects wasn't good but now it appears to have gone the opposite way, discussion stifled and big brother watching. Better to join a more open forum.
    Good luck to all my firends, hope I didn't make too many enemies :cheers:

:britain: :britain: :britain:
  • Originally posted by brownpau
    Just for the laughing emoticons I really should regard that above post as a troll, but I'm going to assume benign0 was on a caffeine high or something.

DNFTT.
    Being a bit too literal aren't we?

Lighten up, Big Brother.

There is a huge world of meaning out there beyond those "laughing emoticons" you choose to focus your critical eye on.

;)

Visit Get Real Philippines!! for more views like this!
    You know, I'm about as jaded to all the death and disaster inherent to primitive Filipino life as the next Pinoy, and yet, mysteriously, you won't find me posting laughing smileys at mass-casualty incidents like the Superferry fire while critiquing the culture.

But that's just me.

Anyway...
    Double-deck bunk beds are packed side by side with hardly any space for luggage (so isles are cluttered with luggage which poses as a hazard in times of emergency). During peak season, foldable beds (tejeras - I think) are made available and laid out wherever space permits to "increase passenger capacity". So on top of "standard capacity" we have "peak season capacity". Tsk tsk...

I've ridden a couple of Sulpicio Line ships in my lifetime: two overnight trips from Cebu to Leyte and back. I rode "second-class," which means a huge open-air deck with wooden bunk beds as far as the eye can see. Lots of people on deck, and you had to keep an eye on your bags. Benign0's description above is quite accurate for Sulpicio ships. (Or "Sulpicious," as we call them.)

The first-class cabins were belowdecks, small but air conditioned with portholes. Of course this is where the "may kaya" passengers rode, separated from the thronging masses above. It was a "Bapor Tabo" all over again, only with a reversal: the lowly made high, so to speak.

Are accomodations aboard SuperFerries any better? Surely they have better amenities than Sulpicio? In any case, I'm looking at the scenario aboard SuperFerry 14, and if the layouts are similar in any way to the Sulpicio ship I rode (second/third class above, first class cabins below), then the underprivileged passengers may actually have had a better chance of escaping as the ship burned.
    Here we go. Accomodations aboard SF15, which I'm assuming is fairly similar to the unfortunate SF14.

Sure enough: "For the budget conscious travelers, the red section offers open air accommodations, with views of the ocean, cooled by the sea breeze."

Now try to picture it. Explosion belowdecks, decks on fire, ship listing at a dangerous angle, smoke and heat filling the hallways and cabins: where would you rather be aboard this ship?

Update: Oh, even better - SF14 accomodations, though the page has been deleted from their list of ships and the accomodation descriptions appear to be blank.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file