COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Questions About Bible Literacy

rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

just about everybody has heard of this verse. is this supposed to be literal, figurative or symbolic? either way i think it says one thing, its easier to go to heaven if you are poor? i personally don't know of any verse where the rich or people who have qualities of those who are rich such as ambition, and drive have an advantage of going to heaven.

Comments

• DoctorNODoctorNO 0(-v-)0 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Its obviously figurative.

Magdadagdag ako sa biblia...
      DoctorNO 1:1 I say unto thee, It is easier for a hamster to go through a wedding ring than for a poor man to enter into the kingdom of God. MIDDLE CLASS IS THE BEST!!!
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    talk to the INC people they're the best literalists around.
  • PaulDamascusPaulDamascus Praise be YHWH PExer
    Originally posted by rickym
    Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

just about everybody has heard of this verse. is this supposed to be literal, figurative or symbolic? either way i think it says one thing, its easier to go to heaven if you are poor? i personally don't know of any verse where the rich or people who have qualities of those who are rich such as ambition, and drive have an advantage of going to heaven.

Sa bibliya po ay may nasusulat na ganito:
      Pro 28:11 Ang mayaman ay pantas sa ganang kaniyang sarili; Nguni't ang dukha na naguunawa ay sumisiyasat.

Iyan po ang dahilan kung bakit nagiging mahirap pa sa mayaman ang pumasok sa kaharian ng langit. Pero meron pong mayayaman na kaanib sa Iglesia ng Dios sa Bibliya. At ito po ay iyong mga sinabihan ni San Pablo na pagbilinan ni Timoteo.
      1Ti 6:17-19 Ang mayayaman sa sanglibutang ito, ay pagbilinan mo na huwag magsipagmataas ng pagiisip, at huwag umasa sa mga kayamanang di nananatili, kundi sa Dios na siyang nagbibigay sa ating sagana ng lahat ng mga bagay upang ating ikagalak; (18) Na sila'y magsigawa ng mabuti, na sila'y magsiyaman sa mabuting gawa, na sila'y maging handa sa pamimigay, maibigin sa pamamahagi; (19) Na mangagtipon sa kanilang sarili ng isang mabuting kinasasaligan para sa panahong darating, upang sila'y makapanangan sa buhay na tunay na buhay .

Dangan nga lang po ay dapat gawin ng mayayaman ang ipinagbilin na iyan, upang di nila maiwalay ang kaharian ng Dios.
  • HBBHBB Member PExer
    Hyperbole. Remember the Bible is literature. Sacred literature to some, but literature nevertheless. It is not a legal-technical document in its entirety. It has stories, poetry, biographies, lectures, etc.

(You can make a camel go through the eye of a needle if you liquify the beast in a huge blender first. :D )
  • miles79miles79 Member PExer
    i don't know if this is true but iv'e heard that there was actually a place, or a gate, in jerusalem at that time with that name...the eye of a needle or something.
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    the people who wrote the bible were supposedly 'divinely inspired' and therefore could commit no error in the production of the bible. how was their being 'divinely inspired' arrived at?

are there conditions for you to meet to be called 'divinely inspired' or was it just a fancy label?
  • vijdaqvijdaq bisayang dako PExer
    I can't remember the exact argument now, but i think there was a term there that was wrongly translated. Maybe it's the word "camel"...we really should ask the Biblical scholars. Gotta find out what the passage says in the Greek mss., or what Aramaic words Jesus is supposed to have used.
  • micketymocmicketymoc Oversized Member PExer
    Addendum: is there a way of testing the "divine inspiration" of the Bible?

I mean, if you're going to use "divinely inspired" as a talking point in trying to convince non-Christians, then at least show some proof that even nonbelievers can agree on?
  • ahmedahmed Resident Terrorist PExer
    Consistency.
    ahmed said: Consistency

well, if there is inconsistency, i would assume that it is not free from error, but even if it were consistent, that would not guarantee 'divine inspiration'.

so many other books have been written, and i have not heard of any inconsistency complained about them, to mention a few.

conversations with god 1, 2, 3
    a course in miracles

these two books were supposed to talk about jesus's message and are both quite voluminous, i think the latter is now available online since it had its copyright taken off.
    If lesser books are consistent, then a divinely inspired book should be more so. It should be a criteria.
  • piggypiggy Piggy Neroody PExer
    consistency against what?
    i think ahmed means consistent with itself.

but ahmed, what if the so called 'lesser books' assuming you mean.

conversations with god 1, 2, 3
    a course in miracles

are more consistent with the bible or with the quran, would you say that the bible and quran or fakes or would you say that the bible and quran are legit but the 'lesser books' are even closer to god?
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    what is it to be internaly consistent? logic textbooks are consistent, but that doesen't make them any more divinely inspired than the bible or the quran does it?
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    Moral of the story? Let us all be poor so that we may all go to the kingdom of god! :rolleyes:
    CONSISTENCY should be ONE of the criterion. Not the only one. If it fails in this criteria, automatically, it should not qualify as divinely inspired.

You say that those books are more consistent with the bible or quran...I cannot comment on that because I have not read them. I don't know if those two are even consistent with the bible. But I have a guess.
    Originally posted by piggy
    consistency against what?

Itself.
    Another criteria would be that its tenets should not be impossible to follow in everyday life.
  • piggypiggy Piggy Neroody PExer
    have you studied typology of the bible ahmed?
    Before you shoot me with that question, do you agree with what I have said, piggy? And what is typology, another hifallutin' catholic term?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file