Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought

A body with a spirit or a spirit in a body?...

...Or a body and a spirit?

What are you?

Comments

• My thoughts and my personality are a consequence of my physical self (neurons, brain cells, nerves, whatnot) - if that's my "spirit", then doesn't that mean my "spirit" and "body" are one and the same?
  • rickymrickym PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    am not sure what it is cause
    the spirit was created before the body, but the body has certain faculties which the spirit does not have.
  • How was the "spirit created before the body"? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that our brains, and therefore our personalities, were developed along with our bodies -

- that "spirit" is locked irretrievably into the state of our physical neurons and associated cells -

- that our "spirit" goes the same way as our body when we pass away?

Look at brain disease or injury - sometimes an entire personality changes with certain damage done in a particular area of the brain. Does that mean the spirit has changed along with the body? Or doesn't that point to the fact that "spirit" and "body" are meaningless divisions of the same indivisible physical unit?
  • monism? (vs dualism)
  • ako naniniwala ako na we are spirits in a body, that is why if a person dies, our spirit moves on...
  • ako naniniwala na kathang-isip lang ang espirito. tulad ng sinabi ni micketymoc, pano nga kaya kung nagkainjury ung isang tao tapos naging violent ung personality nya? ibig sabihin ba nun nagbago na rin ung spirit?
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    the body is matter and the spirit is its form
  • Is there a scientific basis and an evidence that the spirit truly exist?
  • Anecdotal evidence aside, not much.
  • mooch: Just what do you mean by "form"?

micketymoc: Then there wouldn't be any difference between man and animal? Some say that it is spirit that differentiates man from animal: man is able to create buildings and space ships, organize itself into governments, and create just about anything that he puts his mind into.
    form is how matter is arranged. it is required to make something a substance. matter would be the cells of your hand that all die every 7 years. the form would be the "hand-ness" of your hand that persists even if new cells take the place of the ones that die.
  • how about the 21 grams thing? When somebody die the body loses 21 grams of weight. people believes that this is the human soul. Is this true? anyone know more about this? kindly post.
  • that's probably all the air that the lungs retain while a person's alive. :)

Ischa, if a person's form is defined by his/her "spirit," then how do you explain people who are born with physical defects? is that a reflection of a deformity in the person's spirit as well?

my personal take: Body is the physical characteristic of man, whereas Spirit is that characteristic of man that gives him rational and emotional consciousness. neither one can really be extracted from one another, and both interact with each opther constantly as the person grows in bodily and spiritual experiences and challenges. :)
  • If i'd be a body with a spirit: then all the vital organs, especially areas of the brain specific for emotions acted upon by hypothalamus and limbic system including the neurotransmitters and receptors would be, by no other means, my spirit>, that cannot be oh my oh my...or i am so being a hypo-<dugtungan n'yo na lang ekekek :-) >

If i'd be a spirit in a body: then, it'd be a possessed body by, i don't know, maybe evil spirit...grrrr...hope not... :-) i don't wanna be controlled by one...kayo na lang brrrrr... (lamig sa baguio, uwi na ako balik sa dati kung job grrrr :-) ooops, nagpaparinig lang kay bagyoboy>

If i'd be a body and a spirit: sya sya sya...i am made up of both the body and a spirit...dunno...i need help on this...HEEEEELP! :-)

haaay, drink with me na lang with a spirit, solve na problema ko hik hehehe :-) oh my, i really miss you all... :-)

haaay ulit, see you all...in the next year or so... :-)

kartoonista, isulat mo na lang ako ng puro inspirational thoughts sa personal relationship with Christ hehehe... :-) i miss u all there and hope to see u all one of these days...syempre dito sa PEx ulit :-)

:ghost:

I'm Not Perfect
  • freakster2k1freakster2k1 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i am none of the above.

what am i then? i am merely a being in which is conscious of itself, but not as a 'solid thing' but rather, conscious of my mind and the events that happen, in which i play the key figure. the moment, we become unconscious of the I, and of its place in the universe, we cease to exist. Or in the 'I''s case, the moment we become unconscious of the other, it ceases to exist.

it sounds ****ed up, but it does incorporate, what it ought to incorporate, that of, drastic dynamism that occurs in one life; that of birth and of death.. or in some people, that of married life.
    Originally posted by raggster
    that's probably all the air that the lungs retain while a person's alive. :)

Ischa, if a person's form is defined by his/her "spirit," then how do you explain people who are born with physical defects? is that a reflection of a deformity in the person's spirit as well?

for me, yes. that's the physicalist POV. however, note that "spirit" in this context is not to be confused with the religious usage. a drunk person is a high-spirited person :crazy:
    Originally posted by freakster2k1
    i am none of the above.

what am i then? i am merely a being in which is conscious of itself, but not as a 'solid thing' but rather, conscious of my mind and the events that happen, in which i play the key figure. the moment, we become unconscious of the I, and of its place in the universe, we cease to exist. Or in the 'I''s case, the moment we become unconscious of the other, it ceases to exist.

it sounds ****ed up, but it does incorporate, what it ought to incorporate, that of, drastic dynamism that occurs in one life; that of birth and of death.. or in some people, that of married life.

you're beginning to sound Buddhist... or Humean.
    i always held such view. that my existence is dependent upon my consciousness. and my consciousness is how i interpret and remember my experiences. and experiences are dependent upon the nervous system, which is possibly stored in a 'physical' being. and thus, the cycle of life... damn, it does sound buddhist. i guess, mataba rin ako, so ok lang....
    anyone, coffee tomorrow? intersting discussion, the nature of the self? hehe
    sorry, cant. going to baguio tomorrow, anyone for a cold EB :lol: