Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

Can you open an account in a US bank locally? Or get a US-issued Credit Card?

zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Many merchant and payment programs - like Paypal - required US issued bank accounts, or credit cards. Is it possible to open one here in the Philippines, at a local branch?

Comments

• dont think thats possible. you need a US address to open an account and the us bank branch need to approve it. i have used my locally issued visa and mastercard to buy at amazon. my experience is that some sites accept certain cards. bpi mastercard seem to have no problem being accepted.

why dont you try asking a relative of yours to get you a us bank credit card? this is quite easy and really not a problem. then ask your relative to have the credit card mailed to you. of course you have to figure out a way to pay your relative when you do use the card. you can even check your balances and purchases through the net.
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    my local cards are fine. for BUYING. you need the US cards to accept money.
    I'm now looking at services that will send you a debit card like Mastercard.

Example:
    http://www.netpay.tv
  • cramnhojcramnhoj PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    How about something like Smart Money? I heard it's supposed to be also a MasterCard, can that be used in buying nline?
    Yes. Smart Money is Mastercard Electronic. It's only for local purchases, though, and it seems that it didn't take off as a product.
  • katehkateh PEx Rookie ⭐
    you can get a US credit cart ONLY is you have a social security number. that's pretty much a requirement for any business transaction in the US. that's how they check your credit background as well as your employment status.
  • Originally posted by abcxyz
    dont think thats possible. you need a US address to open an account and the us bank branch need to approve it. i have used my locally issued visa and mastercard to buy at amazon. my experience is that some sites accept certain cards. bpi mastercard seem to have no problem being accepted.

why dont you try asking a relative of yours to get you a us bank credit card? this is quite easy and really not a problem. then ask your relative to have the credit card mailed to you. of course you have to figure out a way to pay your relative when you do use the card. you can even check your balances and purchases through the net.

I agree..or try a debit card.
  • in mah case. i am a supplementary holder of my sis credit card (from US). well i can use it and stil use it for emergency purposes like shoppin.. hehejust kiddin. but for real. i can use it here...
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You don't need a social security card to open a US debit account, and it still goes through as a visa/mastercard transaction with PayPal. I opened one with Bank of America in the West Coast and People's Bank in the Northeast when I was still holding a tourist visa. All you need to do is to show your passport with the valid visa and another ID with a photo. Although I think it's much easier if you're actually in the US rather than trying to open a US bank account from Manila.
  • Strong7PowerStrong7Power Member PEx Moderator
    Maaari nga ba??? 🙄