[MERGED] The Rabies Thread (From Dogs, Cats, Bats, etc.)

Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Yesterday I was bitten by a stray puppy in my own house for that matter! It got in through the gate and my dog went after it. As soon as my dog ran past me while chasing the puppy, I grabbed the collar of my dog but the puppy lunged for an attack on my dog and I got bitten instead.

Here's the bad thing, I had the puppy caught and brought to the vet which they diagnosed as rabid because it had all the symptoms...frothing, tendency to bite, twitching. So the vet put it to sleep, sent it to the animal center and advised me to go for rabies shots since they were 100% certain it was rabid.

Well, I went to San Lazaro yesterday for rabies shot and boy do they hurt, both on my arms and on the pocket. I got 1 ATS, 1 Tetavax, 1 PDEV and no ARS yet because it's out of stock as a result, I have to look for this other alternative to ARS which costs around P2500 a shot. Sheesh! Now I have to got back for treatment on sheduled days to receive these expensive shots.

My question is, am I considered rabid at this point? Should people be drinking from my glass or using my spoon? Or can my boyfriend even kiss me? Also, what sickness will I get from this. Please help. I am extremely worried because my great-grandma died from a puppy bite.

Comments

• SassySassy Member PExer
    what i know is aside from getting rabies shots you should also get tetanus shots. i think you'll be okay if they were able to give you the shots right after the dog bit you.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Sassy: She did get tetanus shots already--the ATS and Tetavax.

Ice Burn: Unless the dog's head has been sent to RITM to have it examined, the vet can't say that it has rabies. Frothing, twitching, and a tendency to bite may just be signs of fright, or even distemper. Don't worry, though; the essential components of rabies postexposure prophylaxis are wound treatment and, for previously unvaccinated persons, the administration of both the serum (ATS or its substitute) and vaccine (PDEV), which you got already. What is the substitute they used for ARS, by the way? The important thing to remember is that you have to be faithful in going back for your next shots over the 90-day period; otherwise, the vaccine will not work. However, if you complete the shots, chances of you developing rabies is zero--studies conducted in the United States by CDC have documented that a regimen of antiserum and five doses of HDCV (a substitute of PDEV, which is only available in the US) over a 28-day period was safe and induced an excellent antibody response in ALL recipients. So, you are not rabid if you just continue with the treatment. :) Your boyfriend and your family will not catch rabies from you, unless you are really rabid and you bite them or lick an open wound on their body. Otherwise, with normal caution against open wounds, they are safe. Apart from corneal transplants, bite and nonbite exposures inflicted by infected humans could theoretically transmit rabies, but no laboratory-diagnosed cases occurring under such situations have ever been documented.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The substitute for ARS is Human Rabies Immoglobulin(?) can't understand this bad handwriting on my prescription...

Apparently ARS is out of stock even in the RITM there's none so I was given this P2500 per shot drug.

Anyway, the vet has sent it for animal testing but I better complete the shots because the damn pooch is a stray!

Thanks! You make me feel a lot a better! :)
  • blue babeblue babe Member PExer
    iceburn:
    yikes! wawa ka naman...
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Actually, human rabies immunoglobulin is the recommended form of vaccination over ARS in other countries. ARS is offered only when the immunoglobulin is unavailable. Most probably, they offered ARS here as the first line, only because it's cheaper to purchase than the immunoglobulin. :)
  • ebtgebtg Member PExer
    Well, I'm sorry to alarm you but I remember I read somewhere that rabies is one of the diseases which has a mortality rate of 100%.

I certainly hope you're the exception. Seriously.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Untreated, rabies mortality is almost (but not) 100%. With proper and prompt treatment, mortality is almost 0%. Ice Burn has already received proper treatment, so let's not alarm her needlessly, okay? :)
    Oh jeez...If I am just going to kick the bucket, I wish I did not spend more than P20,000.00 on those damn shots...

Seriously, I am not worried. Of course I knowI can die from rabies if I am stupid enough not to get it treated. My great-grandma died from a puppy bite.

Mas nakaka-awa yung mga nasa San Lazaro. Most of those bitten there are impoverished children at wala silang pera for the shots. Awang-awa nga ako eh. I mean here's how much the drugs cost.

PDEV - P870 - 5 shots of 1/2 CC's
    ARS - P450 - depends on body weight
    ARV - P1280 - 5 shots of 1/2 CC's
    HRI - P3500 - depends on body weight and if there is no ARS.

By the way, what is the difference of PDEV and ARV? Why do kids usually get ARV?

Tapos some of the kids are bitten in the face. How in God's name could they afford such treatment? You'd think that the government would do something about it.
  • ebtgebtg Member PExer
    Ira: Damn, you can never trust GQ for good medical advice. Hahaha...

I'm sorry if I caused you, Ice Burn, any worries.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    ARV (Absorbed Rabies Vaccine) is made from a strain of rabies virus grown in a fetal rhesus lung diploid cell culture (highfaluting terms kuno---just means, roughly, it was grown in a culture of lung cells from monkey fetus). This is the vaccine of choice in the US and causes less side effects than PDEV, although it's more expensive. PDEV (Purified Duck Embryo Vaccine)is just another type of vaccine available in this country (they don't use it in the US), and has more side effects than ARV.

If you're going to base it purely on a medical decision (i.e.,no monetary considerations involved--the National Institute of Health recommends ARV over PDEV in adults and children), ARV should be the drug of choice, if it's readily available. I could only guess that San Lazaro is making the most out of its limited sources and playing it safe by giving the kids the more expensive ARV vaccine since it does not cause as much side effects. A child who develops a side effect with PDEV may be in more danger than an adult in the same situation. So why give PDEV at all? Because PDEV is also an effective and a cheaper vaccine than ARV. Maybe because San Lazaro works on a very tight budget and very limited funds and supplies--it's cheaper and more practical to give their stock PDEV to an adult who can tolerate side effects better, rather than finish their stock ARV by prescribing it to both adults and children when PDEV can do the same work. I'm sure you know what I mean, since you've seen how miserable the facilities are and how poor their patient population is. But I'm just making a guess here, okay?
  • Road DoggRoad Dogg Smell My Face!!! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Don't worry...I don't bite! :D
  • cloneclone Member PExer
    Ice Burn: I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you're feeling better. Have you heard anything about the autopsy result on the dog yet? If rabies was definitely NOT present on DFAT (direct fluorescent antibody testing) of the animal brain, ask your doctor if further injections are still needed.

Ira: Your responses were very informative, as usual. Here's additional info: In the U.S. they use HRIG (human rabies immune globulin) for immediate passive immunity, and the rabies vaccine for those with no prior immunity. The two vaccines approved here are HDCV (human diploid cell vaccine), and RVA (rabies vaccine, adsorbed) which is what Ice Burn received.

[This message has been edited by clone (edited 05-19-2000).]
    Ice Burn: I'm just wondering how you are doing with your dog bite treatments. It has been 3 weeks since you were bitten by a puppy whom you thought was rabid. Was that ever proven conclusively? Please give us a follow-up report on how you're doing.

[This message has been edited by clone (edited 05-27-2000).]
  • CalypsoCalypso Member PExer
    Ice Burn: Good for you that you're taking shots!!

I was also bitten by a puppy long ago. In 1993 or 1994, I think. Is it true that when a rabid dog bites, they die shortly afterwards? Because the doggy died after two weeks. I suspected that the dog had distemper, but since it was a really mangy dog and barely my pet, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

I didn't make a fuss about the bite, since my hands only bore little scratches, and possibly a small wound. But what scared me a year after that was when I read somewhere that untreated rabies can slowly kill a victim. It could take 20 years, or less daw. Yipes! It's been 6 years since the incident... should I be displaying signs of insanity by now, or something?
    Well, the dog is indeed rabid...I'm going on my 4th shot on June 2.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    The rabid dog won't die because it has bit a human--biting someone or something won't kill it. Unlike humans, dogs die quickly once infected with rabies (5-7 days after getting infected). As to what caused your pooch's death, your guess is as good as mine.

The rabies incubation period may range from 10 days to many years, but is usually 3-7 weeks only. So the years-long incubation is more of an exception rather than a rule. The interval is dependent in part on the distance of the wound from the central nervous system.
  • GLoCKsGLoCKs Member PExer
    paano yong bf mo ngayon? baka matakot na siyo sa iyo! lol.gif
    Ira: Isn't it true that rabies can be diagnosed by measuring the antibody titer to rabies virus in serum or cerebrospinal fluid in individuals who have not previously received passive or active immunization.

If this were true, that may be one way to allay Calypso's doubts about her harboring a dormant rabies infection despite being reassured that she is most likely out of danger after all these years post-dog bite.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Unfortunately, no single test can be performed to rule out rabies with certainty. You have to undergo skin biopsy, lumbar puncture, and serum analysis to test for rabies antibodies. Having these tests for what I believe is most probably just a bite from a non-rabid dog is not only expensive and inconvenient, it's also too drastic. Calypso's history does not warrant these exams.
  • CalypsoCalypso Member PExer
    clone: Hey, thanks for the concern! :D

Doc Ira: Thanks for the info!! :)

Actually, my fears have long been allayed by the fact that I've been deemed healthy by doctors who've taken my blood and who've done a lot of poking and looking into my body (ngyak! ang sama ng dating!) but didn't find anything unusual. Although it IS true that I really did get scared when I read that article (i forget where... grrrr, i'll bite them as soon as I remember) that talked about the possible 20-year incubation period of rabies.

I'm almost certain, if not super certain, that I'm not rabid. I was just wondering what symptoms I would have been manifesting by now, if indeed I were rabid for 6 years-- or should I have been dead-o by now?

[This message has been edited by Calypso (edited 05-31-2000).]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file