Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

NBC cancels "Frasier"

SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
After 11 seasons, Kelsey Grammer is hanging it up

http://www.courier-journal.com/features/2004/01/20040114dorsey.html

Comments

• illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    All good things come to an end. :( In this case, a very very very good thing....
  • Sad news indeed for hard-core Frasier fans like me. I hope Star World (or any other channel,for that matter) would broadcast Frasier in thee Phils once more. I miss it sooo much. :(
    Are there any DVDs out?
  • I recently became an avid fan of this show... It's so hilarious especially niles!!! I think it's time that dis show must ended coz in the span of 2 decades Frasier Crane rules the TV airwaves since "Cheers" he's an instant star & created him a spin-over his character... But one of the funniest sitcom that I watched... I will miss it...
  • I'll miss that dog. The dog was cool.
    Yeah, Frasier Crane is actually the TV character who's been on the air the longest. :cool:
  • tequilapjtequilapj PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Aww, that's too bad. I'm gonna miss this show, one of the few really funny shows left on tv...

hmm...with "friends" also about to end this season, i wonder how NBC is going to fill the void left by these two shows...:|
  • Originally posted by illumina
    Are there any DVDs out?
    i believe they have DVDs of seasons 1-2. siguro they'll release DVDs of seasons 3 onwards soon. :) i'll definitely miss frasier and roz, daphne and niles, marty and eddie...

have you guys seen the simpsons episode with kelsey grammer as sideshow bob and david hyde pierce as his jealous brother? aliw yun. :D
  • ground_breakground_break PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    frasier was funny but everthing always come to an end.. too bad they end with cancellation.. sana they ended the show bago siya ma cancell para masaya naman ang exit niya!!!
  • Originally posted by tina11
    i believe they have DVDs of seasons 1-2. siguro they'll release DVDs of seasons 3 onwards soon. :) i'll definitely miss frasier and roz, daphne and niles, marty and eddie...

have you guys seen the simpsons episode with kelsey grammer as sideshow bob and david hyde pierce as his jealous brother? aliw yun. :D

BART: (Covering the clown's eyes) Guess who?

Sideshow Cecil: Maris?
  • Originally posted by ESPIKIKAY
    BART: (Covering the clown's eyes) Guess who?

Sideshow Cecil: Maris?

Cla pla un!? Ung Gu2ng pumatay kay Bart na galit rin kay Krusty the Clown....:confused:
  • Oh yeah, I didn't get that joke until I've had a few Frasier eps.
    There's always a character like that in sitcoms...the one always talked about, but never shown. :p
  • I'll sure miss Niles. :( *sniff sniff*
  • As `Frasier' exits, NBC stays closer to `Friends'
    By John Cook
    Chicago Tribune staff reporter

HOLLYWOOD -- It became official last week: One week after the much-anticipated finale of "Friends" in May, the set of "Frasier" will also go dark for good, leaving NBC with two enormous holes in its schedule.

It is not often that a sitcom with 10 years under its belt -- "Friends" began in 1994 -- goes off the air, and NBC, which would prefer the show to stay in production, hopes at least to make some ratings hay out of its last season. It also hopes that the goodwill occasioned by the departure of "Friends" will rub off on "Joey," the spinoff show in which Matt LeBlanc will reprise his character next season.

But in saying goodbye to two mainstays that network chief Jeff Zucker told a gathering of television critics here are "as important to our history as any two shows," NBC is clearly put in the awkward position of choosing a first among equals, and the cast and producers of "Frasier" will have to shout their swan song over a din of tearful farewells to Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe and Monica.

"I suppose it bothered me a little," Kelsey Grammer told a group of reporters Tuesday on the set of "Frasier" in the Paramount Studios lot, referring to the attention that "Friends" is getting (and that, by extension, "Frasier" is not). "But, you know, we've always been sort of a little stepchild show once in a while."

In purely chronological terms, "Frasier" accomplished a rarer feat than "Friends," lasting 11 years on the network. And Grammer has spent an astonishing 20 years playing Dr. Frasier Crane on NBC, first on "Cheers" and later on his spinoff. Zucker was effusive in acknowledging Grammer's service last week, telling reporters that "no show has meant as much to the quality and perception of NBC as this show," and describing Grammer as "the single most important person to NBC for the last 20 years."

But privately, NBC executives acknowledged that the loss of "Frasier" is simply not as big a deal to the network as the loss of "Friends," a circumstance that was evident at the set visits, which the shows' studios arranged for critics last week.

On the "Frasier" set, the cast and producers cheerfully fielded questions from reporters about the show's impact over the years, sharing the secrets -- writing longer scenes, modeling the show after a stage play, deciding not to use music to carry the viewer from scene to scene -- that they hope have differentiated their often cerebral comedy from the rest of the sitcom pack.

"It's the only sitcom still on TV that has no internal score," said co-creator David Lee. "There's no jaunty little melodies telling us it's time to go on to the next scene."

They looked forward to their final wrap party, a weeklong trip for the cast to Hawaii. They made an impassioned case for the relevance of smart, scripted comedy and gleefully took jabs at the runaway success of crass reality television as Zucker, who takes credit for having put "Fear Factor" on the air, watched from the back of the room.

Future of comedy

Asked to assess the future comedy landscape with so many shows -- including HBO's "Sex and the City" and CBS' "Everybody Loves Raymond" -- either ending or threatening to end soon, Grammer ruefully answered, "reality." To which Lee added, "Which is sort of a cosmic joke. . . . The difference between now and 11 years ago is the people occupying the positions of creativity are basically businesspeople."

And though the producers have not yet written the last episode, they expressed a firm desire to end gracefully and with subtlety, a strategy that is at odds with NBC's habit of pulling programming stunts and "supersizing" episodes.

"I think we'd like to go out the way we started, which is to do something sort of classy," said executive producer Christopher Lloyd. "We would like to not do one of those big, bloated endings that seems like you're just squeezing every ounce out that you can. The best thing would have been probably to do a half hour and really do one solid episode and say goodbye." (The next day, Zucker announced that "Frasier" would end with an hour-long retrospective followed by an hour-long finale.)

After the press conference, the reporters adjourned to lunch outside the studio, and the cast joined them soon after to mingle and reminisce about favorite episodes, unattended by PR minders.

At a similar set visit for "Friends" the next day on the Warner Bros. lot, attended by nearly twice as many reporters, nobody bothered to ask the cast about the future of comedy. The event, which was carefully stage-managed and tightly controlled, was devoted almost exclusively to questions that sought to plumb the depths of the cast's despair over leaving the show.

"We're like very delicate china right now," said Jennifer Aniston, "and we're speeding toward a brick wall of inevitable pain."

"It's going to be brutal," said David Schwimmer.

Tight security

Security for the visit was extremely tight. Security guards wearing blue blazers and earphones monitored the reporters as they boarded the bus to the studio lot, and more guards dressed like extras from "CHiPs," complete with motorcycles, were on hand when they arrived.

The reporters arranged themselves into a line that stretched around the corner from Studio 24, where "Friends" is shot, and waited for 15 minutes -- at one point a determined and dour-looking Paul Rudd, who has been playing a recurring role as Phoebe's fiance, drove past, edging some milling journalists out of the way with his car -- before filing into the set.

Once there, Zucker introduced the cast and producers -- as he had at the "Frasier" visit -- by saying, "To make it easy for those of you who were with us yesterday at `Frasier,' just take what I said there, take out `Frasier,' put in `Friends,' and we're good."

The mood was generally somber, and the cast seemed genuinely despondent as they fielded questions about how devastating the end of this phenomenal success will be on their friendships, if not on their careers.

There will be no cast party in Hawaii, co-creator Marta Kauffman said, because of scheduling difficulties (Hollywood will have to suffice). The studio allowed only one question per reporter, and PR assistants were on hand to quickly relieve each questioner of the microphone as soon as the question was asked, rendering follow-ups impossible. Although reporters did mingle on the Warner Bros. lot after the press conference, none of the "Friends" joined them.

The details of the final episode have been guarded by NBC, and a few half-hearted attempts to glean details were deflected by the cast.

Several reporters asked about the prospects of a reunion, inspired perhaps by false reports that the cast had been offered $2 million each per episode to shoot a Thanksgiving reunion, but they appeared puzzled by the thought.

"A reunion?" Aniston said. "We haven't even left yet."

Aniston and the rest of "Friends" will indeed leave with what Zucker called a "two-hour extravaganza" on May 6.

The extravaganza will undoubtedly overshadow "Frasier's" signoff, but Grammer at least is taking it in stride. Asked about an NBC promotion touting "Friends" as the "best comedy ever," Grammer seemed resigned to the fact that networks will say what they must.

"Well, I don't blame them for saying that," he said. "Although we all know it's not true."

Personally, I prefer Frasier over Friends. Friends as the "best comedy" ever? No way! :D
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    well, I guess Kelsey's trepidation isn't completely unfounded. Amidst all this hype and hoopla about the "Friends" finale tonight, people have practically forgotten about the fact that "Frasier" is signing off as well. And at 11 seasons, "Frasier" has actually ran longer than "Friends".
    Thankfully for "Frasier" fans though, "Dateline NBC" will be visiting the set of "Frasier" next Tuesday night for a final retrospective.
  • Originally posted by illumina
    There's always a character like that in sitcoms...the one always talked about, but never shown. :p
    now i'm curious. other than cheers, what other sitcoms have "characters" that were never shown onscreen? :)
    Originally posted by CyberShiva
    Cla pla un!? Ung Gu2ng pumatay kay Bart na galit rin kay Krusty the Clown....:confused:
    yup! that was kelsey grammer. david hyde pierce guest-starred for one episode lang yata, as sideshow bob's brother who also wanted to be a clown but was always in his big brother's shadow.
    Kelsey Grammer...class act. :)

...Tina...I used to have a long list in my head.... :D ...Now, I can just remember Stan Walker on Will and Grace, and for a long time on Just Shoot Me, Jack's wife Ally.... But they sooner showed her on the show, in some (sad, I think) attempt to boost ratings for the season finale. :lol:
  • I think Frasier is the most satisfyingly-written show in the genre in recent memory that I've seen...

The ensemble cast and production team behind it are all top-notch...

And its true, after the departure of the two shows, only Everybody Loves Raymond remains as the standard-bearer for network comedies...