COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

what do u think of mary magdalene?

baalzebubbaalzebub lurker no more PExer
what do u think of her?

upon watching a feture on her on discovery channel, i believe that she is one heck of a woman... she showed much faith and strength, that even peter (the apostle), showed contempt towards her... the docu even showcased mary magdalene as the bond between the apostles... i believe that her image was delibertaley ruined by the church, painting her as a prostitute

the book, da vinci code, even theorizes that she is the wife of jesus christ.. hmmmm it can be a possibility

Comments

• baby_07baby_07 Take me to Paris. PExer
    i have nothing against her actually. maybe nowadays, she represents erring women who are easily tempted by carnal pleasures. but you know, each and everyone of us is a sinner.

Jesus accepted her even if He's aware of her mistakes. Kaya we don't have the right to torment women like her. :no:

She repented eventually and was worthy of a second chance with God. Dapat tayo rin. :D
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    When was this shown on Discovery Channel?!?! I missed it!
  • ahmedahmed Resident Terrorist PExer
    Was Mary Magdalene's being a prostitute biblical?
  • baalzebubbaalzebub lurker no more PExer
    the mary prostitute and mary magdalene are two different people... the church deliberately misrepresented her because the fact that she is a woman... upon watching the docu, malalaman kung paano dinistort ang image niya from being jesus christ's most loyal companion to an erring prostitute... magtataka ka rin kung bakit hindi siya kinikilala bilang isang apostle, which in fact she is... she spread jc's teachings at masasabi ring isa siya sa founder ng christian faith...

to any bible readers here, please help me for references...
  • ahmedahmed Resident Terrorist PExer
    Isa nanaman bang pagkakamali yan ng mga katoliko?
  • fatkeefatkee Member PExer
    check the internet for the entries MARY MAGDALENE and BETHANY. you could also look for LAZARUS.

a book entittled HOLY BLOOD HOLY GRAIL discusses a connection between MARY MAGDALENE, LAZARUS, and JESUS CHRIST.
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    fatkee said:
    "check the internet for the entries MARY MAGDALENE and BETHANY. you could also look for LAZARUS.
    a book entittled HOLY BLOOD HOLY GRAIL discusses a connection between MARY MAGDALENE, LAZARUS, and JESUS CHRIST"

isn't that the book that says mary magdalene is the mother of jesus christ's children?
  • tylerdurdentylerdurden hobbit PExer
    guys, great read yung book na Da VINCI CODE. Fictional yung book pero based on facts yung arguments presented in the book.
    Sinasabi ng book na Mary Magdalene was the wife of jesus christ. In fact when Christ died on the cross, he appointed Magdalene to lead his Church but because of church's politics, they perpetuated her image as a ***** and prostitute.
    Nagkaroon pa nga cla ng anak na babae. who lived in france and their bloodline survived up until now. (Merovingian race).
    There is said to be a different gospel written by Mary Magdalene and Jesus Christ himself.

The Holy Grail is said to be the TOMB of MAgdalene plus documents written that proves her importance. and is secretly guarded by the Knights Templar, the Masons, the secret society Priory of Sion.

In fact, when you look at the Last Supper painting by Leonardo Da vinci, you can undoubtedly see that there is a woman sitting beside Jesus!

3magnification_of_person_accompanying_jesus.jpg

A great read and seems plausible. It got me thinking when i read the book.
  • ninoAninoninoAnino indolent PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    :wow:
  • Silent_TyperSilent_Typer Weakness: Harem no Jutsu PExer
    The problem is that the book did not mention plausible references.
    The details may be true, but without significant basis, it does not hold water.

I read and regard it as a novel per se. Eye-opening - yes, but credible - no.
  • ninoAninoninoAnino indolent PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Whay are there so many theories and myths about Mary Magdalene... :D

I believe what the Bible says about Mary Magdalene... The Bible never explicitly says that Mary Magdalene was ever a prostitute at any point in her life.
  • rampagerampage reinventing eve PExer
    i like her.
  • enhancementenhancement Banned by Admin PExer
    According to Christian teachings, she was a skank who changed for the better after Jesus saved her from being stoned (was she just paranoid or was she just stoned?)

COULD WE START AGAIN, PLEASE?

MARY MAGDALENE

I've been living to see you.
    Dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
    This was unexpected,
    What do I do now?
    Could we start again please?
    I've been very hopeful, so far.
    Now for the first time, I think we're going wrong.
    Hurry up and tell me,
    This is just a dream.
    Oh could we start again please?

PETER

I think you've made your point now.
    You've even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
    Before it gets too frightening,
    We ought to call a vote,
    So could we start again please?

ALL

I've been living to see you.
    Dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
    This was unexpected,
    What do I do now?
    Could we start again please?
    I think you've made your point now.
    You've even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
    Before it gets too frightening,
    We ought to call a vote,
    So could we start again please?
    Could we start again please? (Repeat 5 times)

MARY MAGDALENE

Could we start again?
  • brownpaubrownpau Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I'm sorry, but "The Da Vinci Code" makes use of spurious anti-Catholic historical documents by politically-motivated revisionists to achieve its propaganda. I have a weblog entry detailing Dan Brown's various sources and errors here:
    http://www.brownpau.com/blog/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=1920
  • PusaichiPusaichi re-member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The latest scriptures found, that were not included on the bible mentioned of a Mary magdalene as a constant companion of Jesus. She could be one of Jesus deciples. Quiet interesting that feature on discovery channel and those gospels by Philip? and another person.
  • shaoronshaoron Jesus Freak PExer
    wait a minute! i thought mary magdalene was the one who Jesus casted 7 demons out of her?

checks the bible

Mark 16:9
    When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.

the prostitute that was almost stoned was a different person!
  • simonesezsimonesez Spearo Schmero PExer
    Da Vinci Code was meant to be read as fiction though Dan Brown made allusions to discussion circulating among theologians and historians about Mary Magdalene being the wife of Jesus Christ and having children with him, the so-called Merovingian dynasty of France. Holy Blood Holy Grail by Elaine Pagels is a good reference about Magdalene. Pagels was quoted by Time magazine in an article last December 22, 2003 regarding the lost gospels. The lost gospels included the famous Gospel of St. Thomas (Doubting Thomas) and the Gospel of Mary Magdalene. The gospels were found in Nag Hammadi, Egypt and written in coptic.
  • simonesezsimonesez Spearo Schmero PExer
    Originally posted by simonesez
    Da Vinci Code was meant to be read as fiction though Dan Brown made allusions to discussion circulating among theologians and historians about Mary Magdalene being the wife of Jesus Christ and having children with him, the so-called Merovingian dynasty of France. Holy Blood Holy Grail by Elaine Pagels is a good reference about Magdalene. Pagels was quoted by Time magazine in an article last December 22, 2003 regarding the lost gospels. The lost gospels included the famous Gospel of St. Thomas (Doubting Thomas) and the Gospel of Mary Magdalene. The gospels were found in Nag Hammadi, Egypt and written in coptic.

Correction:

The Pagels book I was referring to was Gnostic Gospels, which describes besides the so-called lost gospels, Mary Magdalene's very human relationship to Jesus.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail was written by Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, and Richard Leigh. It is the story of the Knights Templar, and a behind-the-scenes society called the Priory of Sion (mentioned in Da Vinci Code), and its involvement in reinstating descendants of the Merovingian bloodline into political power.
  • JoulesJoules Registered User PExer
    Originally posted by baalzebub
    what do u think of her?

upon watching a feture on her on discovery channel, i believe that she is one heck of a woman... she showed much faith and strength, that even peter (the apostle), showed contempt towards her... the docu even showcased mary magdalene as the bond between the apostles... i believe that her image was delibertaley ruined by the church, painting her as a prostitute
    ]

what was the the title of the program shown in discovery? there's another documentary shown in PBS-Frontline called from "From Jesus to Christ" which among others delve into this subject of the role of women during the formation and beginnings of Christianity. The show's website is quite interesting and illuminating too.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/women.html

I think there is quite a number of publications and articles (e.g. Time, Newsweek, etc.) which resulted to the controversies brought about by the DaVinci novel.
    (e.g. Time's "Mary Magdalene Saint or Sinner?" written by D. Biema, Aug-2003)
    http://www.danbrown.com/media/morenews/time.html

Anyway, there are lots of other scholarly articles, which indeed study how the early male-dominated Christian church sort of downplay the significant role and contribution of Christian women. And we're just beginning to understand all of these now.
    The Catholic church actually cleared already that misconception about Mary Magdalene, being a prostitute, in an encyclical released during the 1960s; however, maybe, many priests and Catholic religion teachers are still unaware of this (or they're simply stupid to care). There are growing evidence now the Mary Magdalene was indeed a very influential Christian during its formative years and who was "harlotized" by the later popes because she's seen a threat.
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Can't wait for the Da Vinci Code movie...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file