Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

Does garlic really help the heart and lowers cholesterol?

i was just wondering... coz lately ive been eating things with garlic and started taking garlic supplements to help lower cholesterol and help my heart... i wanted to know if it really helps... and how does it help :)

tnx!

:smokin:

Comments

• IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A study in 2000 revealed that garlic may help to reduce LDL or "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides. However, the lowering of bad cholesterol is only short-term (1-3 mos.). No further reductions were noted after 6 mos. There is no research evidence that garlic has a beneficial impact on blood pressure or diabetes, either. The evidence was also inconclusive about garlic's role in protecting against cancer.

However, if you choose to continue with the garlic supplements, there is no harm in that. Maybe further research in the future will reveal that there is really a health benefit in using garlic.
  • thanks Ira :) you said that it's short term right? does that mean that even if you continuosly take garlic supplements after 1-3 mos, wala na effect? Or if i take them continuously, there will be a constant improvement?
    According to the study, after 6 months, you should not expect your bad cholesterol to go down lower even if you take it continuously. It would just help maintain the level of cholesterol into a constant level, assuming that you keep to a relatively healthy diet.
  • oh okay :) thanks. but there are other good effects naman daw diba? like its an antioxidant and it helps lower the risk of cancer?

would you know of any bad side effects?

and would you know if taking a little more than the RDA is bad? like 3 capsules a day instead of 2? (kasi usually i take more of dosages coz im a relatively big person)
    No side effects if taken as directed, so take the capsules as directed by the bottle. Different brands have different doses.