Home PEx Sports NBA

Does Lebron James lived up to the hype?

For an 18-year old to be paid over $100 million dollars of endorsement deal by NIKE alone. That's a very huge amount of cash for a kid who has yet to proved his skills as a player in the NBA. Plus being picked as #1, puts a lot of weight on his shoulder. Watching some of the games so far, it clearly shows that he is still adjusting playing against MEN in the league. Unlike during his highschool days, wherein as if he is playing MAN against boys. Although it is also apparent that he's got mad skills but sometimes he looks lost. If you look at his statistics he is doing well compared to other youngsters who jump directly in the NBA without college experience. To name a few you have KOBE, TMAC, K. GARNETT, R. LEWIS, & J. ONEAL. But lets also consider that he is playing on a team that doesn't have a lot of offensive option. Based on the statistics so far and the 8-19 win-loss card of the Cavaliers. The question now does he lived up to the hype of being the best all-around player?

2003-04 Statistics
PPG 19.2
RPG 6.00
APG 6.2

If you asked me he isn't. Not now, but give him a year or two probably we could see the real LEBRON JAMES.

Comments

• You say he isn't? Sheeshh. Give him a break. He's an 18 year old monster. This guy has hops, great court awareness, and accurate passing. Unselfish. Lived up to the hype? I guess my expectations were surpassed. I didn't expect him to play like the way he has done so far.

But then again, we are entitled to have our OWN opinion. Peace.
  • HE is living up to the hype! Have you seen his last few games after trading Ricky Davis? He's like averaging 28 ppg plus 6 assist and 6 rebounds. He's definitely living up to his potential. He's a born leader and will continue to get better as he gets used to his new role as the man in Cleveland. Look for more trades in Cleveland as they try to build the team around Lebron.

I can't believe people are disappointed with his performance. Anyway, just watch the games and you'll see why.
  • Dalawa lang naman ang lalabas na argument dito eh, Yes because just check his stats and no coz they still aren't any closer to the playoffs. I'd prefer to sit and watch for 2 more seasons before passing judgement.
  • DI10DI10 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    too early to tell.

and about this one...
    Originally posted by joealley
    The question now does he lived up to the hype of being the best all-around player?

the best all around player? man that's huge! parang walang respeto kaagad yan sa mga legends ng game. best all around player sa cleveland pwede pa siguro.
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    He's lived up to SOME of the hype. The passing, slashing, court vision, and athleticism he's been known for is evident in his game while his jumper is as horrible as advertised. I'm reserving my judgment 'till postseason comes because that's where most players crumble and LeBron hasn't been in anything remotely resembling an 82-game season in his career.

If there's anything that hasn't lived up to the hype -- it's the anti-LeBron bandwagon. They with their candidates Darko and Carmelo. Darko is a talented guy but I give him 3-4 years before he starts contributing while Carmelo is just disappointing. He's a more horrible jumpshooter than LeBron and the "defensive ability" they keep throwing around that he apparently possesses is nowhere to be seen. The 29th pick Josh Howard smokes him in both rebounding and defense -- I mean, 14 and 13 boards against Team Sasquatch (Lakers) and holding Kobe to a combined 11-41 shooting in the 2 games he played? You can't see him, you can't see him....

sheep.jpg
  • yes, he's living up to the hype so far. no brainer, really.

june_dunk.gif
  • SO FAR, yes he does...

But like the others, I'll wait first before a final say. Remember that Miami Heat's Harold Miner was labeled "baby Jordan" in his first year (remember him?)...I don't think I heard from him again after that season...
  • dj_ouchdj_ouch sPin doCtor PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    He DEFINITELY has lived up to the hype! Was Kobe, Jermaine or Kg able to this on their freshman year? - NO!
    Originally posted by dj_ouch
    He DEFINITELY has lived up to the hype! Was Kobe, Jermaine or Kg able to this on their freshman year? - NO!

That's not a fair comparison.
    [b]Kobe Bryant:[/b] 6 games started, 15.5 minutes per game
    [b]Jermaine O'Neal:[/b] 0 games started, 10.2 mpg
    [b]Kevin Garnett:[/b] 43 games started, 28.7 mpg

Not to mention that LeBron is the focal part of the team offense. Silas will draw out isolation plays and then give LeBron the green light to jack up as many shots as he likes. Those 3 didn't have the luxury of having that freedom.

sheep.jpg
  • i think he lived up to th hype for an 18 yr old that carries his team on his back..he good *okay*

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"
    :santa2:
  • Originally posted by 9ino
    yes, he's living up to the hype so far. no brainer, really.

june_dunk.gif

:lol:
  • Originally posted by Pandaemonaeon
    That's not a fair comparison.

[b]Kobe Bryant:[/b] 6 games started, 15.5 minutes per game
    [b]Jermaine O'Neal:[/b] 0 games started, 10.2 mpg
    [b]Kevin Garnett:[/b] 43 games started, 28.7 mpg

Not to mention that LeBron is the focal part of the team offense. Silas will draw out isolation plays and then give LeBron the green light to jack up as many shots as he likes. Those 3 didn't have the luxury of having that freedom.

sheep.jpg

To use these statistics against LeBron is just plain idiotic.

There's a reason why those people were given those limited minutes. They were not ready.

Let's not even get into discussions that they had better teams, and hence had better players, which means it was tougher to get minutes.

The most successful of the abovementioned bunch, Kevin Garnett, was in a team whose best players were Tom Gugliotta and Isaiah Rider. Now, compare that to a team that has an all star in Ilgauskas, (had) scorer Ricky Davis, a Darius Miles and a Carlos Boozer.

Both teams are at least equal in quality (or lack thereof). If Garnett had been anywhere near ready to be the focal point of his team, he would have been. But he wasn't. He wasn't ready.

LeBron is now the focal point of this Cleveland team. Yes, he is averaging 40 plus minutes per game, but that is not something to diminish the value of his performance. He is an 18 year old, one who is trusted enough to remain in the game for all but eight minutes. He is phenomenally athletic, much like Garnett, Bryant, McGrady, and O'neal before him. But unlike them, LeBron-the-rookie has the mental game of an All-Star, perhaps not (yet) that of the game's best player, but one that is remarkable nonetheless.

That he has not (yet?) succumbed to the pressures of being the most hyped pick in NBA history, in itself, is more than living up to the hype in my opinion. That his numbers are this impressive this early gives me the hope that the second coming is really here.

Nobody expected LeBron to be the best player in the league as a rookie. Most expected only flashes of brilliance from a gifted youngster. Many gave him 2, maybe 3 years before reaching an admirable level.

Whether you admit it or not, he is admirable now.

Much more admirable than Bryant, Garnett, McGrady, and O'neal in their rookie years...

Minutes or no minutes.

Peace.
  • Road DoggRoad Dogg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    as of now, he is... :)

can i get a lay-up? :glee:
  • no doubt he is definitely living up to the hype...

to the guys around here....when was the last time you saw a NBA rookie score 30+ pts. for more than 5 games?

my answer: Iverson...

bilangin niyo ilang years na lumipas from AI's rookie season;)
  • yes.

galing ni lebron.
  • The kid can be just amazing sometimes. It's hard for me to fathom that he just came out of highschool. Highschool! He plays extremely well, and he's exceeded my expectations. He's the best kid to come straight out of highschool imo, and I think he is already one of the top 10 players in the entire Eastern Conference. forget Carmelo, Lebron for ROY.
  • the stats say's it all 19.2 ppg 6 rebs, 6 assts for an 18 yo, cmon now mr joe alley. thats why they traded ricky davis to give way for james as their numero uno offensive player and since ricky departed hes been averaging around 27 ppg and he jus scored 34 this afternoon againts the magic. you said that hes doing well againts other high school kids who came into the league before, haha, cmon kobe only avraged about 7 pts/gme, KG averaged only 10 per game and T-mac only averaged 7 per game, those are not comparable to lebron's numbers as a rookie. when he plays its really hard to tell that hes only an 18 yo kid coz of his poise and understanding of the game, very polished with his moves, great quickness and ofcourse his outstanding passing skill. lebron is not on the top of his game yet, when he gets more experience watch out, hes gonna be scary.
    Originally posted by Greener Ranger
    To use these statistics against LeBron is just plain idiotic.

Hey now, I'm not discrediting LeBron because he's a phenomenal athlete... but saying that no other high school player has played better than him is a bit misleading. What if these guys were allowed to play more minutes? What if the coach drawed out plays for them? You never know.
    There's a reason why those people were given those limited minutes. They were not ready. Let's not even get into discussions that they had better teams, and hence had better players, which means it was tougher to get minutes. The most successful of the abovementioned bunch, Kevin Garnett, was in a team whose best players were Tom Gugliotta and Isaiah Rider. Now, compare that to a team that has an all star in Ilgauskas, (had) scorer Ricky Davis, a Darius Miles and a Carlos Boozer. Both teams are at least equal in quality (or lack thereof). If Garnett had been anywhere near ready to be the focal point of his team, he would have been. But he wasn't. He wasn't ready.

Kobe and O'Neal didn't get PT not because they're not ready, it's a personnel issue. But yeah they had some minor issues - Kobe's turnovers and O'Neal's young body which makes coaches hesitant to play them.

KG on the other hand, you're right: he has no excuse, because he doesn't have to compete with anyone for PT but like I said... he grabs 6.30 rebounds in 28.7 minutes to go along with blocks and steals. If he were allowed to play more there's no question those stats will be better. And one other thing: HE IS SHOOTING 49% FROM THE FIELD so why isn't he allowed to shoot more? His fg attempts total was 735 as opposed to LeBron's 509 so far and we're not halfway through the season yet.
    LeBron is now the focal point of this Cleveland team. Yes, he is averaging 40 plus minutes per game, but that is not something to diminish the value of his performance. He is an 18 year old, one who is trusted enough to remain in the game for all but eight minutes. He is phenomenally athletic, much like Garnett, Bryant, McGrady, and O'neal before him. But unlike them, LeBron-the-rookie has the mental game of an All-Star, perhaps not (yet) that of the game's best player, but one that is remarkable nonetheless.

KG also had the mental game of an all-star. He would provide some big defensive plays during crunch time by blocking shots and draw charges and MOST IMPORTANTLY his total turnovers are 110 for the whole season compared to LeBron's 103 and like I said we're not halfway through the season yet.

sheep.jpg
  • Originally posted by Pandaemonaeon
    Hey now, I'm not discrediting LeBron because he's a phenomenal athlete... but saying that no other high school player has played better than him is a bit misleading. What if these guys were allowed to play more minutes? What if the coach drawed out plays for them? You never know.

Kobe and O'Neal didn't get PT not because they're not ready, it's a personnel issue. But yeah they had some minor issues - Kobe's turnovers and O'Neal's young body which makes coaches hesitant to play them.

KG on the other hand, you're right: he has no excuse, because he doesn't have to compete with anyone for PT but like I said... he grabs 6.30 rebounds in 28.7 minutes to go along with blocks and steals. If he were allowed to play more there's no question those stats will be better. And one other thing: HE IS SHOOTING 49% FROM THE FIELD so why isn't he allowed to shoot more? His fg attempts total was 735 as opposed to LeBron's 509 so far and we're not halfway through the season yet.

KG also had the mental game of an all-star. He would provide some big defensive plays during crunch time by blocking shots and draw charges and MOST IMPORTANTLY his total turnovers are 110 for the whole season compared to LeBron's 103 and like I said we're not halfway through the season yet.

sheep.jpg

Sorry, but your argument just wouldn't cut it. You deal too much with what could have been - what if they were given more minutes, what if, what if. I, on the other hand, am dealing with fact - what was and what is.

You said it yourself. KG, in his rookie year, didn't have to compete with anyone for PT. Then you say that if he were given more minutes, he would have churned out better numbers.

Now, answer me this: why wasn't he given more minutes?

We both already ruled out PT competition. What, then, would you attribute this to? That he had a stupid coach? One who didn't know that he had a gem in his hands all this time?

Of course not.

I said it before, I said it again. He wasn't ready. He wasn't ready to be played more. Perhaps it was an 18 year old kid not used to the 48 minute game, perhaps his ultra-thin frame then proved to be a mismatch against thicker forwards. Perhaps it was another reason. But one thing is certain. If he had been ready at that time, then he would have played more. No ifs and buts about it.

Moreover, it takes more than singular plays to be able to call a player's mental game of All-Star caliber. It takes the mental capacity to carry a team on your back when you need to. Garnett has it now, yes, but during his rookie year? No way. LeBron, on the other hand, has shown signs that he does have it now. The Cavs, in more ways than one, have truly become Team LeBron.

Field goal attempts? Garnett wasn't the main man of his team, so obviously, he wouldn't be high up there in terms of shots. That should be simple enough.

But more than that, jacking up shots comes with the territory when you're the star of your team. LeBron is currently number 10 in terms of total shot attempts. Baron Davis, TMac, Paul Pierce, and Allen Iverson, all certified main men in the league, rank #'s 1, 2, 3, and 6 respectively. You know what's interesting? They're all shooting lower FG percentages than LeBron. In other words, LeBron is not taking more shots than he can handle. Shot attempts come with being a main man. That LeBron is an able main man at this age is, plain and simple, awe-inspiring.

Turnovers? Let's see:

Issue # 1. If you're not a main man, as Garnett wasn't in his rookie year, you don't handle the ball as much. Hence, there's a much lower chance of making a mistake with the ball.

Issue # 2. If you're an inside player, as Garnett was [and still is], the only areas you handle the ball in are mostly the a) low post, b) high post. These areas are very limited, and hence, with limited movement, comes greater ball control. With greater ball control, come less turnovers.

Issue # 3. If you're a main man, you have the ball most of the time. If you're a guard.... check that... a point guard, you will have to handle the ball through the entire backcourt, and many times, going through the hoop, not to mention that you're in charge of making plays work and making decisions. These factors by themselves, more than explain a higher rate of turnovers. This is not to mention that LeBron is, in fact, a rookie - who, in normal circumstances, would be appraised with more leeway. That he is being evaluated in not only non-rookie standards, but in All-Star standards, at 18 years old, is unheard of.

My point is simply this: People take LeBron's phenomenal performance for granted. His numbers, impressive as they are, are downplayed with the claim that it's because he's playing so many minutes.

For some reason, people now say that it's not fair to compare LeBron to the other High School stars in their rookie years. I say: why the hell not??

They were all 18-year-olds. They were all given roster spots in teams. Some may have been drafted by better teams, but many, like Garnett, were not.

LeBron has outplayed all of them. By several, several miles.

At 18 years old.

Despite the hype.

Above the hype.

This is fact, not theory.