COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Gimli raises axe for Western civilization

DoctorNODoctorNO 0(-v-)0 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
http://www.decentfilms.com/commentary/lotr_junket.html

Gimli raises axe for Western civilization

Perhaps the most passionate observations came from John Rhys-Davies, who plays the dwarf Gimli and voices Treebeard the Ent. Focusing on the necessity of defending civilization in times of crisis, Rhys-Davies took the media to task for failing to appreciate the preciousness of Western civilization, and warned of the potential consequences of rising Muslim extremism and the increasingly Islamic face of Europe.

“I think that Tolkien says that some generations will be challenged,” said Rhys-Davies, “and if they do not rise to meet that challenge, they will lose their civilization. That does have a real resonance with me.”

Pointing a finger at the media, Rhys-Davies went on, “What is unconscionable is that too many of your fellow journalists do not understand how precarious Western civilization is, and what a jewel it is… The abolition of slavery comes from Western democracy. True democracy comes from our Greco-Judeo-Christian Western experience. If we lose these things, then this is a catastrophe for the world.”

Rhys-Davies revealed that as far back as 1955 his father had predicted that “the next World War will be between Islam and the West.” The actor recalled his response: “I said to him, ’Dad, you’re nuts! The Crusades have been over for hundreds of years!’ And he said, ’Well, I know, but militant Islam is on the rise again. And you will see it in your lifetime.’ He’s been dead some years now. But there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think of him and think, ’God, I wish you were here, just so I could tell you that you were right.’”

Looking at the lone female journalist at the table, Rhys-Davies said pointedly, “You should not be in this room [according to Muslim custom]. Because your husband or your father or your husband is not here to guide you. You could only be here in this room with these strange men for immoral purposes.”

Rhys-Davies went on to contemplate the significance of demographic shifts among Western Europeans and Muslims in Europe. “There is a demographic catastrophe happening in Europe that nobody wants to talk about, that we daren’t bring up because we are so cagey about not offending people racially. And rightly we should be. But there is a cultural thing as well… By 2020, fifty percent of the children in Holland under the age of 18 will be of Muslim descent…

“And don’t forget, coupled with this there is this collapse of numbers. Western Europeans are not having any babies. The population of Germany at the end of the century is going to be 56% of what it is now. The populations of France, 52% of what it is now. The population of Italy is going to be down 7 million people.

“There is a change happening in the very complexion of Western civilization in Europe that we should think about at least and argue about. If it just means the replacement of one genetic stock with another genetic stock, that doesn’t matter too much. But if it involves the replacement of Western civilization with a different civilization with different cultural values, then it is something we really ought to discuss — because, [hang it all], I am for dead-white-male culture!”

His fellow filmmakers might not all agree, but Tolkien would have applauded.

Comments

• Gandalf86Gandalf86 Switched to Pronghorn PExer
    I am shocked!!! Really!! Ya mean Rhys-Davies said that?!.... manonood pa naman ako ng RotK premiere mamaya... (I'll still watch it ofcourse!)

SO? ya think his a racist of some kind?

:-)
    Peace
  • green gringreen grin Member PExer
    i think the article mentioned rhys-davies partiality against the religion of islam. islam is a religion, gandalf, not a race. :)

(frodo lives....!)
  • Yuri_PrimeYuri_Prime god-playing megalomaniac PExer
    Originally posted by DoctorNO
    “the next World War will be between Islam and the West.”

We are the people of the East, we are not Arabs and we are not Western people although many of us descended from these people.

In case this war broke out, I suggest we become isolationist, then develop weapon and sell it to them. By the end of this war, we become the new evil empire... err I mean superpower. How's that?
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    a dwarf body and a dwarf mind!

is he saying the world is composed of western christians on one side and muslims on the other?
  • gekokujogekokujo Original Fire PExer
    Nevertheless, Gimli este Rhys-Davies managed to raise awareness concerning a real issue, citing sheer demographics. And he is also right in observing that many Muslim states are dominated by fundamentalists with undemocratic policies. At the same time, he may also be guilty of oversimplification: why did those people of Muslim - or is it Arab? - descent leave their homelands and move to Europe in the first place?

I was a fan of the great Wayne Gretzky in his playing days. A long time ago, the owner of his hockey team was asked about the logic of having an ice hockey team in sunny California. "There are one million people of Canadian origin living in Los Angeles," he said. A few years later, with the team losing money and suffering poor attendance, he was asked what went wrong. "We found out why all those people left Canada," the owner explained: "They hate hockey."
  • green gringreen grin Member PExer
    interesting observation on the reasons for muslim migration to europe, gekokujo. so why do you think it's an oversimplification?

thanks.
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    oh boy!

america and europe is swarming with people from other regions who're there for their own selfish reasons and many of these reasons don't always tally with western interest.

really just an actor.
  • razzprazzp Conjurer of cheap tricks PExer
    Originally posted by mac_bolan00
    a dwarf body and a dwarf mind!

John Rhys-Davies is 6' 1". An elephant I guess. ;)
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    western civilization is overrated.
  • DoctorNODoctorNO 0(-v-)0 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I think the man's concern was the gradual replacement of the Western culture with an Islamic culture.

The muslim immigrants are out-babying the european locals. And they are slowly but surely islamizing the west. For example in Norway (i think) the picture of pigs were banned from government daycares as was complained by a muslim family that it offends their child.
  • HBBHBB Member PExer
    Democracy, eh? The rule of the majority instead of the rule of the wise. :-D
  • Lucca YamazakiLucca Yamazaki die boy abunda die! PExer
    Originally posted by Yuri_Prime
    We are the people of the East, we are not Arabs and we are not Western people although many of us descended from these people.

In case this war broke out, I suggest we become isolationist, then develop weapon and sell it to them. By the end of this war, we become the new evil empire... err I mean superpower. How's that?

Hehe, Yuri, I like your style...

Though I'd be more with becoming neutral and having all the other countries' techies and intellectuals come over here and do their thing for us.

Pinoy Empire Forever!!!
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    me just decided to make my space hotel an orbital weapons platform once teh war is over.
  • jeff_kaithjeff_kaith kindred spirit PExer
    heavens help europe then if that truly is the case ...
  • SpellbindMediaSpellbindMedia Fantasy=Reality PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Ischaramoochie
    western civilization is overrated.

Ditto.

I feel they have but one objective: to protect the American way of life at the expense of others.

Well here's a message for you Uncle Sam: not everyone wants your way of life.

God bless America? Bull. Why should only America merit God's blessings? God is not yours.
  • QuentinQuentin Montejo PExer
    would i be overly generalizing if i said that islam is the only religion has the tendency to generate the most modern dangerous fundamentalists? no offense to our muslim posters here ofcourse.

but it seems like it's the pattern (??)
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Quentin said:
    "would i be overly generalizing if i said that islam is the only religion has the tendency to generate the most modern dangerous fundamentalists? no offense to our muslim posters here ofcourse.
    but it seems like it's the pattern (??)"

hmmm.... try looking from another angle and see how that idea would conflict/reconcile with this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0%2C2763%2C1076084%2C00.html
    Israel outraged as EU poll names it a threat to peace
    Originally posted by SpellbindMedia
    Ditto.

I feel they have but one objective: to protect the American way of life at the expense of others.

Well here's a message for you Uncle Sam: not everyone wants your way of life.

God bless America? Bull. Why should only America merit God's blessings? God is not yours.

:lol: Their motto doesnt say "God bless America ONLY"

And i think what they are trying to protect is the DEMOCRATIC way of life. Democracy did have its roots in Europe.

Anyway even Muslims love complete Freedom even though they love to blame America for it.
  • SpellbindMediaSpellbindMedia Fantasy=Reality PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by DoctorNO
    :lol: Their motto doesnt say "God bless America ONLY"

And i think what they are trying to protect is the DEMOCRATIC way of life. Democracy did have its roots in Europe.

Anyway even Muslims love complete Freedom even though they love to blame America for it.

Apologies if I sounded so harsh. I have nothing against democracy, but I seldom see that the US fight for democracy for the sake of democracy.

What's actually bothering me is US Capitalism and their Globalization Policies. Take for example the war on Iraq...they justified the war by saying Saddam has WMDs which, until now, havn't been found. Which to me makes the Iraq liberalization an Iraq invasion. This after a majority of the UN members has said that it won't support such a war. Then after the country has been rid of Saddam, they issue sanctions and limitations on companies that can help build Iraq, the "spoils of war go to the victors" policy. Just an example of the US being a Military Economy.

Another is free trade agreements with developing countries like the Philippines. At first sight it is a good example of democracy: two nations, regardless of economic status, trade fairly and equally. That is until we realize that our products (for example, agriculture) can't really compete with the US' because of their cheaper price, the effect of US government financial benefits provided to American farmers. Again the protection of American Capitalism way of life.

No wonder Jessica Zafra doesn't have an issue with buying pirated software (according to an article she wrote that's been passed around as an email). Don't take it the wrong way, I don't agree with her, though she does make valid points.

Democracy is good, but it doesn't benefit everyone. It benefits those with the financial capability and economic machinery that utilizes the very idea of a "free world" to their advantage.

I guess Steinbeck was right: everyone is indeed equal, but some are more equal than others.

Just my 2 bits.
    What's actually bothering me is US Capitalism and their Globalization Policies.
    Me I just count my blessings. Any superpower is destined to influence the world. The way the U.S. extends it influence through trade, technology and entertainment is fine by me. I would rather have that compared to the communists, nazis, muslims, and japanese & british imperialists.
    Take for example the war on Iraq...they justified the war by saying Saddam has WMDs which, until now, havn't been found.
    They probably made a critical mistake. Afterall Sadam did gas the kurds.
    Which to me makes the Iraq liberalization an Iraq invasion. This after a majority of the UN members has said that it won't support such a war. Then after the country has been rid of Saddam, they issue sanctions and limitations on companies that can help build Iraq, the "spoils of war go to the victors" policy. Just an example of the US being a Military Economy.
    Well thats the way it goes. Americans aint saints and angels.

Another is free trade agreements with developing countries like the Philippines. At first sight it is a good example of democracy: two nations, regardless of economic status, trade fairly and equally. That is until we realize that our products (for example, agriculture) can't really compete with the US' because of their cheaper price, the effect of US government financial benefits provided to American farmers. Again the protection of American Capitalism way of life.
    Pinoys cant compete because of the following combination:

* Aint cheap enough like mexican products.
    * Aint high tech enough like chinese products
    * Aint quality enough korean products
    * Government instability thanks to islamist terrorists and corruption.

Democracy is good, but it doesn't benefit everyone. It benefits those with the financial capability and economic machinery that utilizes the very idea of a "free world" to their advantage.
    South Korea & Taiwan did not begin with financial capability and economic machinery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file