Home PEx Family and Society Family, Friends and Society

Why I hate Christmas....

Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Call me Scrooge but whenever Christmas season approaches, I feel bitter. Perhaps it's because I feel compelled to give expensive gifts to everyone. Or it just so happens that I enter into bitter arguments with my parents every Christmas. It's also the idea that Christmas feels the same no matter what. Parang nakalimutan na yung real meaning ng Christmas. Here we are, feasting on Christmas dinners, shopping for our relatives and friends and being ridiculously kind to everyone. What's my gripe? Well, why only Christmas? What about the rest of the year? The other day I saw a bunch of people giving toys to street kids, well what about the rest of the year, when they are simply nameless statistics of thousands out on the street? Sometimes I feel that the whole idea of this Christmas spirit is nothing but a fraud. Yeah, I know what you guys are going to say, but before you react, did you ever stop to think about it this way? Do we really have to wait until the birth of Christ to make our lives meaningful?

Comments

• nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    You are right Iceburn that it can be considered deplorable that people only maintain this kind of attitude for one time of the year, and lose the generous heart when the Holidays are over. But Festivities happen, and traditions take place. Do not hate a tradition because it suddenly makes people more giving or more joyous.

The true spirit of Christmas is only fully realized when it is lived each day. Not too many people understand this, and when they do, they don't really put it into practice. But there are those who are Christlike all year round.

Give of yourself, practice what you consider is right, and don't let a wonderful occassion bring down your spirits. Remember, we are after all commemorating Christ's birth. Now that is a reason to celebrate!!!
  • Ooohh.. Merry Christmas?!? Just kidding!

Good points! Sad but, umm.. at least people DO take time.. kahit na pag Christmas season lang =(

Hey! There's a good side to it! Wouldn't it be worse kung wala?
  • ice burn: tama sila 'no. Even if kahit for just one single day lang ang tao for the whole year naging mabait at thoughful and considerate of other peoples rights/lives or whatever, don't you think it still amkes a difference even if it is just a small one.....
  • woah, hhmmmmmm, ako iba reasons ko...(medyo mababaw)
    why i hate christmas:
    1. fruitcake...'nuff said
    2. me as ninong...need i say more?
    3. rel/family gimmick....we get together, plastikan to the max, then go on a drama session crying our hearts out on what we think of each other. (parang psy session)siyempre oblige ka mag-onstage kasi kups talaga mga magulang eh...tapos we exchange gift giving really crappy ***** lalo na pag one size smaller ang ibinibigay sa'yo (every year sheesh)...tapos bago umuwi, may hihirit na naman na mag free therapy ulit (girl of course, 'coz they're just damn too emotional)...then we go home.

xs, i'm a pracitcing atheist since hs (although baptized r.catholic) so none of the birth stuff for me....
    oneday shopping, this mute kid came up to me and ask for donation 'coz their center needed a sewing machine. i didn't give him any money altough i had some...really felt bad ('alalang)...
  • i dont like christmas also. but not because of the reasons given before me. i dislike christmas because i cant give to everyone i know. and it makes me feel bad that there's someone that i cant give to. and you are sometimes obliged to give to people that you do not like. like if you pick someone you're not close to for your exchange gift. then you have to spend time in thinking what they'd like even if you dont know them personally and you end up giving them a picture frame or something.
    and then there's when you recieve something you dont want. it is the thought that counts but what are you going to do with a figurine?
    it's true that christmas is for the children. every year we grow older and in my case i receive less presents from relatives. this past christmas we ate noche buena before 10:00 and my father was asleep by 10:30. we dont have a christmas tree because it's just a waste of time to put it up and keep it after. i was supposed to go to my girlfriend's house but there was no one to bring me there. (they dont allow me to drive eventhough i have a license) before i thought christmas was supposed to be spent with the family. but now i know that they dont mind me not being home during christmas. they allowed me to go i just cant leave.
    i can think of many reasons why i dislike christmas but i still wouldn't want christmas to stop. and if i go on, nobody would read my post anymore. :)
  • uptowngirluptowngirl PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    What I really hate, kahit hindi Christmas, eh yung pag super saya ng family niyo, for example, you just had a good time talking and just enjoying each others company, tapos, out of the blue, bigla na lang magkakaasaran or something... I really hate it kasi alam ko, something or someone will surely burst our bubble. Bad trip lang talaga! :(
  • Merry Christmas To All Pexers!!!

XMASSUX!
  • christmas isn't as fun anymore......unlike when i was a kid...i used to look forward to it with rapture and excitement in my heart....

maybe bcoz it's my turn to give gifts now....

but no....

oh well....i still like Christmas.....ppl may gripe about us being hypocrites, being only thoughtful and kind for a month....

but at least we had that one month!!!
  • i have never looked forward to christmas. to christmas vacation, yes, but only because i get to have time off from school. but that's entirely different. ;)

i never liked going to big family reunions where i have to talk to all of my relatives, shrink in shame when i dont remember their names (i'm not a big-family person, what can i say?). as one of my black sheep uncles once said, "the only thing we really do in our family reunions is bragging." of course there are some that i love seeing, those close-yet-not-so-close cousins and uncles and aunts of mine.

all of my christmases were cold. whenever christmastime comes, i usually dont have anybody special to spend it with (excluding my family ok?). that's pretty depressing especially when u go out and see other couples romancing each other.

i have always looked forward to the gift-giving though. i love seeing people opening their gifts, and of course i love opening mine :D

hmm there are a lot of things i would have liked to experience when it's christmas (be with a HAPPY family, etc), but for now, since i havent had them yet, i guess i'll still continue NOT liking it. lol.gif
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sinong nagbuhay sa thread na to...Di pa Christmas. lol.gif

Naalala ko na naman tuloy na malapit na ang pasko. Bwiset!
  • yeah that's what I hate....it's always the same each year and for some reason it becomes more boring.....
  • QuentinQuentin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    lost it Ice Burn?

Christmas gains meaning to me when i go to a place to ponder, sit still and let the faint music enter my head

i suddenly get surprised at how things unravel before me ... my godchildren, my mom, dad, bro ... by separating the flashy lights and see only people, only people ice burn ...
  • i agree with iceburn... ende ganito everday of the year...

all i can say is at least there is one day even ONE PATHETIC DAY that some people have tranquility in their lives... i do not wish to remove that. that is the only time i am at peace with my parents... :(
  • I am not much for christmas.. but I am grateful that it is there..

Because even for at least once a year, there is one day in which everyone at least pretends to be nice to everyone else. That however low mankind can get, there is still hope for it..
  • ako rin ... kapag chrismas arrives, daming jinx na nangyayari ...

grrr ... pero, okei lang. seeing other people makes me happy too ...

ayaw ko lang makakita ng mga kids, mga "poor" sa tv ... makes me wanna cry ...
    huhuhuhuhuhu ...
  • Originally posted by Ice Burn:
    Sinong nagbuhay sa thread na to...Di pa Christmas. lol.gif

Naalala ko na naman tuloy na malapit na ang pasko. Bwiset!

AKO PO MASTER! :):) ganda kse ng topic eh!
  • Christmas is another way to acknowledge the superiority of the Christians against other religions.

Even Shinto Japan and Daoist, Buddhist China celebrate Christmas.

Rock On! evil.gif
  • Then again, Christmas can be looked upon as a great marketing campaign!

Whichever way you look at it, Christmas the way it was intended to be is dead.

• Originally posted by CzarinaT:
    all of my christmases were cold. whenever christmastime comes, i usually dont have anybody special to spend it with (excluding my family ok?). that's pretty depressing especially when u go out and see other couples romancing each other.

hmm there are a lot of things i would have liked to experience when it's christmas (be with a HAPPY family, etc), but for now, since i havent had them yet, i guess i'll still continue NOT liking it. lol.gif

uuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! mukhang looking for someone ka na talga ha...totoo na ba yan? tumatanda ka na talga girl.gif
  • QuentinQuentin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by basho:
    Then again, Christmas can be looked upon as a great marketing campaign!

Whichever way you look at it, Christmas the way it was intended to be is dead.

y'know, i like the origin of your nick dude. matsuo basho ... hehe

anyway, tagal ko nang di nagigreet si C. Hi-C !!