FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

MUTA pag gising sa umaga

hi Doc need help. Its already been two days since I had these unusually 'thick' coverings of "muta" in both my eyes everytime I wake up in the morning. I was surprised. I find it hard to open my eyes because they seem to be hardly "glued" together.
I don't have sore eyes, though.

What does this indicate, doc? I know this is a little gross and embarrassing but I need help. Im anxious and curious

Comments

• eyedoceyedoc Member PExer
    Although you say that you don't have sore eyes (er, may I know what your basis is? :) ), I'm more inclined to think that you MAY have it. Either blepharitis (infection of the eyelids) or blepharoconjunctivitis (infection of the eyelids and the conjunctiva - a variant of "sore eyes") may cause this. Of course, I need to see you before I can confirm my suspicion.

Best course of action - see your ophthalmologist.
  • Misa HayaseMisa Hayase Member PExer
    eyedoc... I have been having that problem lately. May one month na siguro. Prior to that I just changed my right contact lens. It's affecting only the right eye. (The one with the changed lens). Parang nasasanay na nga ako, though I'm wondering if this is eventually going to be a more serious problem. Sonetimes, nagkakaroon ng discharge sa corner ng eye (the more medial corner) and I get annoyed kasi it obstructs the vision sa contact lens.
    Misa Hayase - Any other symptoms? Itchiness, blurring of vision, redness, ? Does it happen often? How's the discharge - is it thick, stringy, mucoid, or watery?

Offhand, I'm thinking that it might be an allergy, although if you're using the same solution with both eyes I don't see how that would happen in only 1 eye. Another possibility is blepharitis. Or it may even be as simple as dry eyes.

More info, pls.
    :)
  • Chase_MeridianChase_Meridian POWER. PLEASURE. PAIN. PExer
    I used to experience that when I was in high school. My EENT then told me that it had something to do with my asthma. I also went to an opthalmologist when I noticed that the translucent stuff in my eye became swollen, like when I look at the mirror and move my head sideways, the white part of the eye bunches up. My opthalmologist, Dr. Tamesis, just prescribed me eyedrops. It was kinda recurring then but now not anymore. I suspect it was allergy. I think I aggravated it when I would unconsciously scratch my eyes real hard in my sleep (I tried wearing eye mask but it felt uncomfortable and it didn't help in getting rid of the "muta").
  • Originally posted by eyedoc
    Although you say that you don't have sore eyes (er, may I know what your basis is? :) ), I'm more inclined to think that you MAY have it. Either blepharitis (infection of the eyelids) or blepharoconjunctivitis (infection of the eyelids and the conjunctiva - a variant of "sore eyes") may cause this. Of course, I need to see you before I can confirm my suspicion.

Best course of action - see your ophthalmologist.

hi eyedoc thanks for the reply and info. Actually there are no signs of itchiness. My eyes aren't red, and I can see normally. But dryness at the end of the day, yes. It's because I commute and encounter daily dozes of smoke and pollution on my way home.
    I sleep so late at night, unusually late because of problems and worries in my head. Does pollution and sleeping late influence this kind of "infection" or something?
    Pollution would contribute to either dry eyes, blepharitis or both. Sleeping late may also aggravate the condition.

You can try Tears Naturale II 3x daily to both eyes. This would relieve dryness and may relieve some of your symptoms. However for a more definitive diagnosis and management, it would be better for you to see an ophthalmologist.
    Originally posted by eyedoc
    Misa Hayase - Any other symptoms? Itchiness, blurring of vision, redness, ? Does it happen often? How's the discharge - is it thick, stringy, mucoid, or watery?

Offhand, I'm thinking that it might be an allergy, although if you're using the same solution with both eyes I don't see how that would happen in only 1 eye. Another possibility is blepharitis. Or it may even be as simple as dry eyes.

More info, pls.
    :)
    Itchiness... well, it's not itchy all the time, sometimes lang like when I first put it on in the morning. When I kind of rub the corners (kasi nga makati), my eye gets red and (I don't know if it's just me but) seems to produce more mucous.

I guess I can say that it happens everyday. Much of it early in the morning, which lessens to none in the evening. Bale when I'd wake up, I get dried mucus sa edges, and then...um... fresh ones at the medial corner, or under the lower eyelid. The consistency ranges from thick, stringy and mucoid. I'd rinse it off and proceed to putting on my lens. However, it's sometimes annoying when I'd put on the lens tapos meron pa palang residue inside my eye. Then my eye would get itchy nanaman and I'd have to take the lens off and rinse it with solution.

Sometimes, it's a bit hard to remove (talagang hindi ako pwede tamarin while rubbing the lens with solution).

Can't wait to get LASIK'd. *sigh* Thanks eyedoc!
    Misa - sounds like allergy all right. Try using Napcon A 3x daily for 5 days. Patanol would be a better choice, but it's much more expensive. Tell me how it goes.
    Thanks Eyedoc...do I have to stop using my contacts for 5 days? Or is it safe to use it, then wear the lens/or use it while the lens is on the eye?
    It would be better if you could avoid the contact lenses in the meantime. If not, you can put on your contact lenses at least about 20 mins after you put on the drops.
    Thanks doc. I bought new lenses for that eye.... it was hard to clean na, and I've started using the Naphcon...update you kung ok na!:) thanks!
  • duhboyduhboy Member PExer
    Hello eyedoc. I was just curious.
    I'd been seeing these tiny little circles from my left eye. I see them occasionally, pag naduduling ako or when I'm out in the sun. I don't know how to describe it - I think they're little tiny water droplets permanently stuck to my cornea. I don't even remember when I started seeing them, whether they were caused by the contact lenses I used to wear for my short-sightedness(which I don't wear anymore).
    Also, when I look at the mirror there's this brown/black little dash next to the black part of my eye (I think you call it the iris??)
    Is this normal?
    I'm not quite sure I understand all your descriptions. Your first concern seems to be vitreous floaters. If it's just occasional, it's probably something not to worry about, unless you find it's becoming more numerous and/or more frequent. Anything different (e.g. color becoming red, vision becoming blurred etc.) should bring you ASAP to your ophthalmologist. I'm not quite sure about the brown/black dash you're saying. Sorry, can't judge without seeing it for myself.
  • duhboyduhboy Member PExer
    Wow, that's cool. I checked out website about vitreous floaters, I think that really is it! Thanks eyedoc! You really ARE an eyedoc. I'm having a general exam at some hospital with my mother next week, will there be an eye exam there?
    It depends on the package that you get. If you chose the one with a ophtha exam, then, bingo. :)
  • kabisekabise Tindero sa 168 PExer
    Pink eye - ano maigi doc, gentamycin ointment or eyedrops?
    hi eyedoc, update lang. I haven't been religiously following the dosage on the Naphcon. I've been using it parang once a day lang. I still have that muta in my right eye! Sometimes when I try to put in my contacts, both eyes will get red and watery (and i get the sniffles), but the irritation will just be momentary for the left eye. It's only the right eye which will be more itchier, red (at the periphery of the contact lens), moist and well, mucous-y. I'm now resigned to wearing my glasses in the meantime para I can put the drops in more often as I should.
    Misa - I still think it's an allergy, maybe due to your solution (Anong brand yung solutiion mo?) Try shifting brands. Or you can try rinsing your contact lenses with NSS after removing from the case and before putting on the eye.
  • MessyMistiqueMessyMistique PeSsimiStic YuN... PExer
    .....eyedoc bakit pag nakalagay n yung contax sa left eye ko parang ang sakit na at my parang nagagalaw yung contax na mahapdi sa loob, sa ryt eye la naman.
    kabise - Magaling ka na siguro by now. Anyway, I prefer eyedrops in general. Ointment blurs the vision. But, I prefer that I see the patient before I prescribe anything.

MessyMistique - Are you sure you haven't inverted the lens? Another reason may be some small cracks in the lens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file