Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Yum Cha!!!

markpaulmarkpaul PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Popular ba sa Philippines ang Yum Cha?
Yum Cha in my own is the gastronomic fest of Dim Sims or Dim Sums. I like to Yum Cha but nakakasawa rin pag always, siguro once in a month lang...

Comments

• Do you know any resto that offers this event?
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Any big chinese restaurants during lunch hour where you get to see carts rolled around filled with dimsum, pao, siomai, chinese lettuce, chicken feet, almond desserts, etc. Best experience: Floating Restaurant at Aberdeen Marina, HK.

Yep, did those at least once a week in the 4 years of living in HK. Meron din dito sa Cali kaso have not seen one offered sa Pinas. Maybe in Chinatown?
  • I love Yum Cha! I try to have a Yum Cha feast at least once a month :glee: Dunedain is right Yum Cha in the Floating Restaurant is surreal. Equally, Yum Chas in 5star Hotels in HK is to die for. I had Yum Cha at Repulse Bay and dare I say I was quite disappointed with the quality of food they served.
    Here in SYdney the best ones are in Marigold, East Ocean and Golden Century... :drool2:
  • markpaulmarkpaul PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Love it!!
  • The best meal for any time of the day!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, buy yum cha and dismus is just the same diba?
    I think not!! Yum Cha is the eating and the dimsum is what you eat in the Yum cha
  • Acck! I can't believe I had so many typos!

markpaul.. so I guess since dimsum is popular in Pinas, hence "yum cha' is... or are you talking about what they do in hongkong, , with the carts, tea and all (with dimsum served at those times between breakfast, lunch and dinner), the whole shebang (baka may kasama pang old guys "walking" their pet birds in cages)? :)
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Misa Hayase
    so I guess since dimsum is popular in Pinas, hence "yum cha' is... or are you talking about what they do in hongkong, , with the carts, tea and all (with dimsum served at those times between breakfast, lunch and dinner), the whole shebang (baka may kasama pang old guys "walking" their pet birds in cages)? :)

Er... ...minus the bird cages. What you're referring to is the usual tea houses for the old guys with birds, somewhat like making a Starbucks for folks who collects stamps or something.

Yum Cha is more of an experience of eating what rolled down next to you in a cart without the birds or anything to show. No particular order of whatever goes first and what goes next to eat - it's entirely random so you can just wave anyone who's rolling down a cart and check out if the goodies are worth it or not, eating I mean. Dimsum is not only the one served, but others like rice noodles stuffed with shrimp, chicken feet, beef balls, chinese lettuce (or what the Cantonese call "choy-sum") served with osyter sauce, sticky rice with eggs and whatever wrapped in a lotus leaf, and even deserts like almond jelly and lychee. The main course can be entirely skipped (unless someone wants to splurge a few extra moolah). The only thing that makes Yum Cha as Yum Cha, it is usually practiced only during lunch hours. If you're having it as either breakfast or dinner, then it's not Yum Cha.
  • Originally posted by Dunedain
    The only thing that makes Yum Cha as Yum Cha, it is usually practiced only during lunch hours. If you're having it as either breakfast or dinner, then it's not Yum Cha.
    From a purist's perspective this is the done deal. Increasingly, however, heaps of chinese establishments are offering Yum Chas for breakkie and supper.:yum:
    How much ba ang Yum Cha order sa Pilipinas???
    Sa Brisbane kasi, its $2/order plus free bottomless iced tea!!

The order is like in 3 pcs. like sa Shrimp Dumpling. Siomai, Meat Bun, Chicken Satay etc!!
  • Originally posted by Dunedain
    Er... ...minus the bird cages. What you're referring to is the usual tea houses for the old guys with birds, somewhat like making a Starbucks for folks who collects stamps or something.

my statement about those birds in cages was just a joke ;) hehehe.
    PEACE