FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Mavs get Antoine Walker from Celtics in five-player deal

Comments

• carshowcarshow The Generator PExer
    Originally posted by spongklong
    hehehe! :) mahilig siguro maglaro si cuban ng nba live franchise mode! :) hahahaha trade lang ng trade basta all-star ang makuha! :D

Eksakto! :D
  • peacelove143peacelove143 The Kingpin PExer
    clutch 5:

pg nash
    sg finley
    sf jamison
    pf walker
    c dirk

whoa: trifecta-mania...

boston: hmmm... must be ainge at work... building a team in his image, with o'brien's consent.

welsch will provide backcourt depth
    mills will start at the 3 (or be eric williams' backup, highly unlikely)
    lafrentz could be an all-star (says a lot about lack of center depth in the east)

i keep on thinking about the high octane offense of golden state and denver of old...
  • out of orderout of order Member PExer
    which team would like to deal their center for an antoine walker? almost all the big men in the NBA are committed already to a certain team. this is one crazy ball club.
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    Horrible trade and at first glance I thought it was a joke because the Mavs always pull off a highway robbery on their deals. First of, I'm not disappointed that Raef is gone because he's more of a halfcourt player so he won't fit in on the Don Nelson system.... but I predict he's going to be an all-star or top 5 center in the east. What I'm peeved off about the trade is the departure of Jiri Welsch, but oh well. I don't care about Antoine Walker so I'm going to ignore him and post a few tidbits to the discussion:
    • Nellie said that he and Jamison mutually agreed to a sixth man role, which means Walker is automatically a starter.
    • Tony Delk is a Bobby Jackson-type player. Very quick defender, can score on the break and has playoff experience.
    • Walker's contract ends after next season giving them some serious cap relief which they can then use to resign Nash - already hinting a max salary with his interviews and the way he's playing at preseason games.
    • Nelson said that he doesn't want Antoine to jack up 3s all night long and insists that he's only allowed a maximum of 8 per game. That probably solves the "3-pointer machine" dillema.
    • One other shocking revelation: Nowitzki will play center at times and the big 5 will be on the floor at the end of IMPORTANT games.

sheep.jpg
  • orange#12orange#12 mistaken identity PExer
    sayang. should've grabbed mutombo instead.
    i just couldn't picture mutombo playing for the mavs.
    i've just read in espn.com that Danny Fortson would be the starting post guy for the Mavericks. so it means that the starting lineup would be Nash, Finley, Walker, Nowitzki and Fortson. Fortson was a decent rebounder in the West before he got injured. let's see if he still has it.
  • bonafide31bonafide31 Member PExer
    jamison would come off the bench. dallas shouldn't have given jiri welsch away. 6-7 combo guard that they could have developed if ever nash bolts out after this year. they could have just given best ( which the celts wanted since last year) or bradley. then just get antoine and kendrick perkins. dapat di na kinuha si delk, sayang ang playing time na para kay josh howard ( sleeper!). this trade for the celts brings a lot of pressure to kedrick brown and vin baker. they lost a scorer and they need to plug a whole on it, much more pressure on vin baker, with all these "preseason hype" around him showing flashes of his old self, dapat he should bring it on.
  • bonafide31bonafide31 Member PExer
    eto pa! nelly said he would give a lot of minutes to dirk diggler on the middle? on offense he would be very effective kasi he can bring the opponents big guy outside and open up the middle. pero sa defense? WHA! wala! depensa ni dirk puro sundot. danny fortson would be a great solution pero he's just 6-8. undersized. they need to trade up for a reliable bigman or sign one, one guy available is vladimir stepania.

and one more thing. the mavs should just be called "ALLAS" because the team has no D .
    Originally posted by orange#12
    sayang. should've grabbed mutombo instead.

Deek? This is 2003, not 1995.

1] Dallas traded Raef for salary cap relief. What makes you think they're willing to take Mutombo's "Stoudamire-bad" contract?

2] Mutombo is a wash. There's a reason why his contract was bought off and that's because he's half the man he used to be, add to that his inefficiency in a run-and-gun team like the Nets. What more if he plays in a team that plays a faster run-and-gun style?

sheep.jpg
  • EcKo_01EcKo_01 Alam mo NA!!! :-p PExer
    asar tong trade, sayang and they let walker go.
    sabagay, choker kasi nung nj-celts eh kaya na-trade. I'm hoping the best ppara sa celtics ngayung may legit na center na sila.
  • beedjheybeedjhey Member PExer
    i agree that walker would be a trade bait...and i think that the mavs got the better end of the deal coz they got an all-star and a very reliable point guard...delk would be a good back up for nash
  • sp0ckmansp0ckman Spocker PExer
    I have to think Dallas is acquiring bodies that they could use to trade for a Center. That's the only logical reason I can think of for this trade. Of course, since this is Mark Cuban we're talking about I can't assume logic. Otherwise, all they've done is made themselves weaker where they're already weak - Center, and duplicated themselves elsewhere.
  • joey_sixdigitjoey_sixdigit pakaang-kaang kng san san PExer
    Originally posted by sp0ckman
    I have to think Dallas is acquiring bodies that they could use to trade for a Center. That's the only logical reason I can think of for this trade. Of course, since this is Mark Cuban we're talking about I can't assume logic. Otherwise, all they've done is made themselves weaker where they're already weak - Center, and duplicated themselves elsewhere.

i agree! :cool: it seems to be a longshot, pero obtainable. kund hindi naman, well its a poor decision for the management. i think they are targeting a more blockbuster trade. and is still for a center, what the team needs.
    Double post
    Up to now I still don't understand the logic behind this trade (except for saving $38-million dollars and counting depending on whether Walker re-signs, but the word 'budget' is alien to Cuban) and I don't see it as trade bait either because Antoine Walker's market value is very low, as proven by the fact that they barely got any decent offers for him during the offseason.

But you guys have to realize that eventhough Dallas needs a center, there's no one left in the market that's better than Raef. The 2 candidates being dangled at Dallas are Kurt Thomas and Antonio Davis, both players with serious drawbacks. Kurt - undersized and twice as foul prone as Raef, while the other guy - Antonio Davis, is another undersized center, old and injury prone. Add to that, their stats were padded in the weak East and that's probably the reason why the Mavs refused to put the green light on the deal.

sheep.jpg
  • hanskyuthanskyut kyut na pexer PExer
    theres a rumor na trade bait si jamison para kay davis of toronto
    another one is finley will go to the bulls

sayang wala ako insider sa sporting news
    It's not a rumor, it's a sports writers unilateral wet dream. The Toronto papers make BS trade rumors with Nash ending up in the Raps since the old days, and the same goes with the Tribune and their endless pursuit of Finley (a Chicagoan) via bogus trade ideas disguised as rumors. Remember: before the draft they dropped a bombshell of the Bulls shipping Marshall, Robinson, Crawford and their 1st round pick for Finley.... but Cuban denied that such a deal took place nor was the offer on the table.

sheep.jpg
  • XetraDAXXetraDAX Konnichiwa! PExer
    ei guys,, ano tingin niyo starting five ng favorite kong Celtics?

eto akin...

PG- Marcus Banks
    SG- Paul Pierce
    SF- Jumaine Jones
    PF- Raef LaFrentz
    C- Vin Baker or Tony Battie
  • Altis6453Altis6453 Member PExer
    Originally posted by XetraDAX
    ei guys,, ano tingin niyo starting five ng favorite kong Celtics?

eto akin...

PG- Marcus Banks
    SG- Paul Pierce
    SF- Jumaine Jones
    PF- Raef LaFrentz
    C- Vin Baker or Tony Battie

Good starting five for the Eastern Conference. An alternative would be:

PG-Marcus Banks
    SG-Paul Pierce
    SF-Eric Williams
    PF-Mark Blount
    C-Vin Baker (if he's finally healthy and in near all-star form)

The key substitutes would be:

PG - Mike James
    SG - Kedrick Brown
    SF - Jumaine Jones (that is, if Coach O'Brien elects to have him come off the bench)
    PF - Tony Battie/Walter McCarty
    C - Raef La Frentz (who you can also alternate at the PF spot)

All in all, I like the depth that the current Celtics roster provides. One cause for concern is the assist totals. Being a rookie, Marcus Banks would commit a lot of mistakes and will have to learn to run the team as the season goes. Losing Walker means losing one of their best passers.

I'd like to see them do well against the likes of New Jersey, Detroit and Indiana. Against the Western Conference teams, they may have trouble with top tier teams like the Lakers, Spurs and Sacramento since they have tall, athletic combo guards. Since teams were pretty high on Jiri Welsch, let's hope he develops his game with Boston.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file