FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Top 15 Nba Rookies( Who Will Make An Impact)

mertzvoxmertzvox Member PExer
Impact Rookies

By Rick Kamla

Don't know if you've heard about it yet, but NBA.com is hosting a new game called Fantasy NBA: The Rookies.
Within a seven-day period, you pick a different rookie each night and rack up points based on points, rebounds, and assists. It's as simple as that.

I'm here to help you win Fantasy NBA: The Rookies by forecasting the freshmen who will have the most impact in 2003-04. And because you'll need seven different rookies each week, we'll take a look at the top 15 based on points, rebounds, and assists.

15. Zarko Cabarkapa, F, Suns: Zarko had hernia surgery in early October, but he should be 100 percent by early-to-mid November. The Suns love Zarko's length and open-court game, so he'll see the court when healthy.

14. Mike Sweetney, F, Knicks: Mike's game is anything but sweet, as he crashes the glass and pummels you in the paint. Unfortunately, Dikembe Mutombo's arrival moves Kurt Thomas to the four (Sweet's natural position), making it tough for the ninth overall pick to crack New York's nine-man rotation.

Video: Rick Kamla talks about his top five picks on NBA TV

E-mail photo | Buy photos

Miami's Dwyane Wade, the fifth-overall pick in the 2003 Draft, should go higher in your rookie game fantasy draft.
Fernando Medina
NBAE/Getty Images
13. Kirk Hinrich, G, Bulls: Sorry, but I don't think Hinrich's heartland game will translate to the NBA. I know it won't happen as a rookie. Still, the Bulls plan to give Hinrich some run behind Jamal Crawfordbecause Jay Williams is out for the year.

12. David West, F, Hornets: Don't sleep on the 2002-03 AP College Basketball Player of the Year. West is a tenacious rebounder and defender, just like his teammate and mentor, P.J. Brown. West is buried under Brown, starting center Jamaal Magloire, and veterans Robert Traylor and Sean Rooks. However, it won't take long for West's hustle to make him the No. 3 big man in New Orleans.

11. Reece Gaines, G, Magic: Doc Rivers probably won't start the regular season with Gaines running the point. Even though the 15th overall pick has struggled in training camps, he should see the floor and help your fantasy team right off the bat.

10. Darko Milicic, F, Pistons: The Pistons want to bring Darko along slowly, which is fine. However, big men Elden Campbell and Zeljko Rebraca are injury-prone, and Darko is a supremely talented player. There's more immediate upside to Darko than you think.

9. Jarvis Hayes, G-F, Wizards: With Jerry Stackhouse (knee) out indefinitely, Hayes could open the season as Washington's starting three. Even if he shares time with Jared Jeffries, the 10th overall pick should get at least 20 minutes a night. Hayes isn't known as a passer or rebounder, but he's a threat to score 15-20 every night because of his strong mid-range game.

8. Chris Kaman, C, Clippers: Thanks to back and calf injuries, Kaman has been limited this preseason. But in his Clipper debut on Oct. 10, the sixth overall pick scored 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting in 21 minutes. Once Kaman kicks these injuries, he will probably split time with recently acquired center Peja Drobnjak. But 20-plus minutes should enable Kaman to average at least eight points and five rebounds.

7. Marcus Banks, G, Celtics: The Celtics have three point guards with Banks, Tony Delk, and Mike James. But Delk is a two in a one's body and James is a journeyman. Banks may not start right away, but he'll get minutes for the Cs either way. Banks is a stocky, feisty point guard, so you can expect decent rebounds in addition to the points and assists.

6. Boris Diaw, G-F, Hawks: Diaw is a weekly starter in this rookie game because he's going to fill up the stat sheet. He's always around the ball, so the rebounds are there. He has terrific vision and instincts, so you know the assists will be there. Plus, he has a versatile offensive game, so he'll score a little as well. Diaw might not start, but he'll get plenty of clock backing up the one, two, and three.

5. T.J. Ford, G, Bucks: I know Ford has trouble with his shot, but the rookie game doesn't include field-goal percentage. His scoring will be erratic, but Ford is a gifted passer and underrated rebounder. The lingering presence of Erick Strickland will probably cost Ford some minutes, but he'll be involved enough to be in your weekly rotation.

4. Chris Bosh, F, Raptors: I know it's just the preseason, but the fourth overall pick has the look of a 20-10 forward who will rack up the hustle-board stats. I'm not saying Bosh becomes that player this year, but it won't be long. If the Raptors could ever pull off a mercy trade involving Antonio Davis, Bosh could enter the Rookie of the Year race.

3. Dwyane Wade, G, Heat: In his preseason debut, Wade gave us a glimpse of the future with 18 points, eight rebounds, five steals, four assists, and four blocks. Uh, wow. Assuming his left ankle injury is minor, as the team says it is, Wade will start and play 30-plus minutes right away. His production will fluctuate, especially early on, but Wade will give you a little bit of everything every night.

2. Carmelo Anthony, F, Nuggets: I see 'Melo averaging right around 20 points, six rebounds, and two assists as a rookie. But because you can only use him once a week, you gotta look at Denver's opposition, rate the small forwards, and pick the best matchup for Anthony. For instance, you might want to avoid starting 'Melo against swingman stoppers like Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant, and Paul Pierce.

1. LeBron James, G-F, Cavaliers: What we have here is the NBA Rookie of the Year as well as the MVP of Fantasy NBA: The Rookies. James might not score as much as Anthony, but he'll have slightly more rebounds and a lot more assists. Plus, he'll average 15-20 points and triple-doubles are in play every night. Like 'Melo, you'll want to start LeBron against inexperienced defenders so you can get his best game of the week.

Comments

• bichbich :| PExer
    wade, anthony akin... instant leaders agad e. and lebron papala kaso nagkakalat pa e.
  • what about that one japanese dude? i think he'll make an impact.
  • bichbich :| PExer
    drafted ba cya? direct ata cya e
  • burn_stampedeburn_stampede [Gryffindor S?eker] PExer
    i think carmelo anthony, tj ford and dwyane wade would make an impact on the game...

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"
    :bookworm2:
  • peacelove143peacelove143 The Kingpin PExer
    those who are asked to do much immediately would be highly valued.

ex. ford, melo, james.
  • Carmelo "Melo" Anthony most probably "Rookie of the Year"
  • kixterkixter LordoftheMonsters PExer
    Originally posted by reginalddennisk
    Carmelo "Melo" Anthony most probably "Rookie of the Year"

agreed... :cheers:

this pre-season, melo has been showing to us his versatility... he scored 20 points in one game, grabs 11 rebounds on the next, gave out 6 dimes the next and so on... he is just proving why he is the ROY.... he can take you inside and outside, just pick your poison...

LeBron, he has game but he can't shoot from the outside... and besides, hes still young and will be a forece to reckon with in the coming years, not just now...

the other rookies to watch for in my opinion are

TJ Ford
    Dwayne Wade
    Chris Bosh
    Darko Milicic and
    Jarvis Hayes

:hiphop:
  • mertzvoxmertzvox Member PExer
    bump lang tau!!!
  • VoOdoOVoOdoO molecule mad PExer
    marcus banks starts for boston

natrade na si tony delk eh so malamang sya starter..

10+ pts 6+ assists
  • VINCEsanityVINCEsanity Member PExer
    Carmelo Anthony!
  • 9ino9ino -=ProFesSoR DuNk=- PExer
    4 pamato kong rookies this season:

1. Chris Bosh - The Big Bosh Man. Watch out NBA! T-Dot got a steal with this guy. Believe me.
    2. Carmelo Anthony - A Glen Robinson with a winning attitude and a much bigger heart.
    3. Darko Milicic - Medyo tahimik this preseason. Just wait.
    4. Dwyane Wade - I've seen some Heat preseason games and grabe puso nitong batang to! Kahit exhibition game lang nagpapakamatay sa bola eh. parang Iverson.

june_dunk.gif
  • out of orderout of order Member PExer
    how about TJ Ford? he's the starting PG for the Bucks right?
  • mertzvoxmertzvox Member PExer
  • NINJeremyNINJeremy The Wretched PExer
    ^^^^^^
    spam.gif

:glee:

NINJeremy
    stickman.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file