Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

MONK : the Series

moonshinemoonshine PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
i saw this about a month ago, somewhere on cable and i really liked it. akala ko, movie lang siya about this cop na super obsessive-compulsive at maraming quirky behavior. nakakatawa siya because of the cop's quirkiness (think john cage of ally mcbeal) pero seryoso din because sincere ang pagkagusto niya na magampanan ang pagiging pulis niya.
ipapalabas na raw ang series sa star tv... so i am looking forward to that.
btw...nanalo pala ang MONK ng emmy.

heto isa pang writeup about it: from msn entertainment
http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=525930

Monk [TV Series] (2002)
Comedy Drama 1 hrs. 0 min.

Tony Shalhoub

Avg. Rating 4.7

The versatile Tony Shalhoub starred in this weekly, hour-long mystery series as Adrian Monk, an unorthodox but undeniably brilliant San Francisco police detective. Quitting the force after the death of his wife, Monk suddenly began developing profound and bizarre obsessive-compulsive tendencies, allowing his many phobias -- including a morbi fear of heights, germs, darkness, crowds, even dairy products ... Read moreThe versatile Tony Shalhoub starred in this weekly, hour-long mystery series as Adrian Monk, an unorthodox but undeniably brilliant San Francisco police detective. Quitting the force after the death of his wife, Monk suddenly began developing profound and bizarre obsessive-compulsive tendencies, allowing his many phobias -- including a morbi fear of heights, germs, darkness, crowds, even dairy products -- to compromise his skills as a forensic investigator. Nonetheless, Monk flourished as a private detective with the help of his live-in nurse Sharona Fleming (Bitty Schram) and the grudging assistance of his envious former SFPD superior Captain Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine). A marvelous blend of high humor and deadly seriousness (in the two-hour opener, Monk had to chase a perpetrator into the sewer system, nearly causing him to go into a hissy-fit when his immaculate wardrobe picked up a stain or two), Monk debuted with much fanfare over the USA cable network on July 12, 2002. ~ Hal Erickson

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    eto nga pala iyong link sa official website ng MONK...

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/
  • looking forward to this series on StarWorld.
    Q&A with Tony Shalhoub
    from USA Network

For more than a decade, Tony Shalhoub has been entertaining America. He's perhaps best known for playing taxi driver "Antonio Scarpacci" on the long-running NBC comedy Wings. Since then, he's dazzled audiences on the big screen as well, appearing in numerous blockbuster films including Men in Black, Galaxy Quest, and Spy Kids. USA caught up with him while he was shooting the two-hour pilot for Monk.

USA: What attracted you to the character of Monk?

TONY SHALHOUB: Taking a familiar genre and turning it on its ear. Monk's an unlikely hero. He's got a very severe case of obsessive-compulsive disorder, which in some ways inhibits him from functioning in the world and in his job.

USA: What's his situation?

SHALHOUB: Monk's a detective who's been kicked off the police force. He's become dysfunctional since he lost his wife, who was killed in a mysterious car-bomb accident. He was very much in love with her and hasn't been able to face her loss. And even though he's a genius at figuring out crimes, he's at a loss with what happened to her. He's too close to it.

USA: But he'd like to get back on the force?

SHALHOUB: That's his goal. But it's hampered by his obsessive-compulsive disorder.

USA: How did you prepare to play a character with OCD?

SHALHOUB: I had a few sessions with a clinical psychologist who deals with obsessive-compulsive patients. He gave me a lot of invaluable material. And even though this show is an hour-long drama laced with humor, OCD is a serious problem, and we deal with it in a respectful way.

USA: Are there parts of your own personality that people might consider compulsive?

SHALHOUB: I always have to re-stack the dishwasher, because no one ever does it the right way. And the refrigerator - I hate it when people put short things on the tall shelf. Then there's no room for tall things on the tall shelves. Monk has this, too - magnified about a hundred times - and a number of phobias as well.

USA: Such as?

SHALHOUB: What've you got? He has a fear of heights. A fear of the dark. A fear of milk.

USA: How could someone be afraid of milk?

SHALHOUB: He's germophobic, afraid of bacteria.

USA: So why do people put up with Monk?

SHALHOUB: He has an amazing attention to detail, which gives him this ability to read people and crime scenes and to see things that other people don't see. The way his mind works is like Sherlock Holmes. It's all about the logic of how things happen and why.

USA: How does he read a crime scene?

SHALHOUB: He has a kind of overview, a sense of things, using his vision, sense of smell, whatever clues he feels in the air. He sees things that nobody else can, even thought they're in the same room.

USA: Your assistant is Sharona, played by Bitty Schram. What's her role?

SHALHOUB: Sharona is Monk's right hand. She doesn't have a lot of patience for his problems, but she has this great respect for his skill.

USA: She's also protective of him.

SHALHOUB: Yeah, she's a single mom. And she sometimes treats Monk like a second child. He needs that much caretaking.

USA: But just when he begins to believe that his disorder is stabilized, something happens and he realizes...

SHALHOUB: Well, yeah, just when he think he's on top of things, he'll notice something in the room that's bothersome. And he can't help but fixate on it, even though what he was doing first is urgent and important.

USA: What's the biggest challenge in playing Monk?

SHALHOUB: I'm always on two tracks. Its doing whatever the plot calls for. And it's simultaneously dealing with my own anxieties, my own phobias.

USA: You did a scene in the sewer - basically Monk's worst nightmare, right?

SHALHOUB: We were underground in 16 inches of murky water. It was like hell for Monk. Rats and filth and... well, there wasn't a whole lot of acting necessary.
  • Tony Shalhoub won an emmy for this series. He's brilliant.
  • This show is so funny... I've watched the entire first and second seasons, and it never failed to make me laugh... :)
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Have to see it on Star World yet.... I loved Tony Shalhoub in Stark Raving Mad.... :)
  • watch it guys..its really different from other shows..and tama si sweet_n_bubbly...nakakatuwa! hehe..and he deserves that emmy for that show..galing nya eh!
    suwerte niyo napanood niyo na, dito sa pinas papalabas pa lang: on cable pa. been searching for some episodes sa kazaa pero no luck yet.
  • woohoo for TS for scoring an Emmy!

He's quite the character and woohoo, the setting is in the beautiful San Francisco :up:
    when is this showing on startv? may date na ba or wala pa din?
  • that's it, i'm sold. i'm gonna watch out for this show...
  • wala pa atang sked for Star World. but i'm gonna watch this show. sabi daw magaling talaga siyang mag-solve ng crime.
    premieres tuesday na, oct 14! woohoooo!!! :D
  • cant wait :bounce2: been looking for a new series to get hooked on :D
  • oct 14 na? anong oras? yay, parati na akong naintriga at natawa sa commercial niya eh. and i can relate with the OCD, mejo ganun din ako eh :D
  • i watch this show whenever i get the chance....really entertaining...characters are never exaggerated (well the main guy was a bit...but he did have a reason to be one with his obsessive-compulsive disorder hehehe)...but this show is a good time out from those forensic-solving crime series...not particularly bashing on CSI...but sometimes i do need a break from it heheheh
  • Adrian Monk..yeah, he's quite a character. I saw this independent film by Stanly Tucci the other day called The Impostors ( I like it), and Tony Shaloub was there, he played one of the bad guys.

Did anyone see that movie with Angelina Jolie? Something about a psychic saying that she's gonna die next week? Well Tony Shaloub played the curbside prophet in the movie.

Anyone seen Spy Kids? He's in there too :D
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by juve_grrrl10
    oct 14 na? anong oras? yay, parati na akong naintriga at natawa sa commercial niya eh. and i can relate with the OCD, mejo ganun din ako eh :D
    This coming Tuesday, right after the Drew Carey hour! (9 pm). :bounce2: If there were still Six Feet Under sa HBO, sobrang hindi na ako makakaalis sa harap ng TV. :lol:
  • hmm will definitely watch out for this then! :-)
    does anyone here remember the title of the sitcom that Tony Shalhoub had with Neil Patrick Harris (of Doogie Howser)? Used to watch it on channel 9. Tony was an eccentric gothic author who loved playing pranks tapos publisher 'ata niya si Neil, something like that....
  • This series has just started in Australia. Super funny nung first episode. I make a habit of watching it now.