COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

Dan Brown

f0r5aK3nf0r5aK3n Ascendant BridgeBurner PExer
anyone read his books??

my brother has recommended his books to me and I intend to buy one tonight.

Any title recommendations??

Comments

• dudelishdudelish squeak. PExer
    definitely this one.
  • f0r5aK3nf0r5aK3n Ascendant BridgeBurner PExer
    yah.. my brother is raving about da vinci code!! I'll post comments after I read it, aight? :)
    reading Angels and Demons right now. The first book that Robert Langdon and Vittoria Vetre both appear in. :)

Dan Brown is already one of my favorite authors based on this book!
  • da vinci code, right?
  • illuminattyilluminatty spay/neuter ur pet PExer
    I already read his Deception Point. That was after I read Angels and Demons. A&D is heaps better! Kaso lang unlike DP, nahulaan ko yung endieng (i.e., kung sino yung culprit). Ambigrams are so fascinating to look at, I keep turning the book over to check and see how the artist did it. Check out Dan Brown's official webpage to see it, in case you haven't read the book yet.

I just got hold of Da Vinci Code from Powerbooks, P775, ang mahal. Reading the prologue now... I am hoping that it's worth it. I will post my comments here or in the Da Vinci thread after I've read it.
  • agwe23agwe23 über-techie PExer
    dan brown is a nice read. quick pace, short chapters, interesting topics, the only thing is that after reading deception point, angels and demons and the da vinci code, you sort of get already how he structures his story, how his villains operate, etc etc. so it gets predictable. i read his works bec. he writes like michael crichton. you read his novels but you don't merely get a work of fiction, his work is infused with lots of interesting facts like the fibonacci number, ambigrams, history of the illuminati, etc etc.
    I'm a bit disappointed with Da Vinci Code. But maybe it's because I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail many years ago (it was published in 1982) and all those theories about the suppression of the sacred feminine, the bloodline of Jesus, PS, Knights Templar, etc. are all there anyway. Add to that is the "sequel" to Holy Blood, called The Messianic Legacy (published 1989). Also the ancient goddess worship stuff is really nothing new.

It was still a good read though I feel ripped off--it is NOT worth the PhP775.00 that I paid.

:(
  • dudelishdudelish squeak. PExer
    i spent 3 hours trying to write my name in ambigram. that damn book got me obsessed, i had to dust off my calligraphy set.

progress, i managed to convert the first 3 letters of my name.
    Hey dudelish, good for you! Please show everyone when you're done if you don't mind. I'm really curious to see how you did it. :D
    phew! what an ending!!!! and here i was thinking i tagged the bad guy already!!!

:lol: i was pretty exhausted!
  • hey guys! check out this site:
    http://www.ambigram.matic.com/ambigram.htm
    it's an online ambigram qenerator.
    The result is no where near as elegant as that of Angels & Demons,
    but interesting nonetheless :)
    bearybearyclr: dude! thanks!! That is a kicka$$ site. Except my name isn't very well generated.... :(
    yeah, mine too. i tried several combintions of my name/nickname but it's a bit crude and nothing like the ornate calligraphy of the artist in angels and demons. not bad though, i wonder how they made that program--looks like a combination of the the alphabet used in different languages. fun! :D

if you've tried "illuminati" you'll see that it's nothing like how they did it in the book, but my favorite band's name (depeche mode) is decent-looking atleast. so that made my day. thanks to bearybeary (beri-beri? heheh.)!
    I just finished Digital Fortress and I must say, if you're a techie, this book is way, way better than Angels&Demons! Tons of twists!!!
  • b1tch_kab1tch_ka Hi ho! PExer
    hey im selling my copy of digital fortress, if anyone's interested, pm me! :)
  • timmmaytimmmay comfortably numb PExer
    Originally posted by f0r5aK3n
    I just finished Digital Fortress and I must say, if you're a techie, this book is way, way better than Angels&Demons! Tons of twists!!!

if you're a real techie you'll be shaking your head reading this book. some of the stuff in this book about computers are just unrealistic i thought. it didn't seem like he researched it well. dan brown should stay away from techie subjects and stick with religious fictions(?).
    timmmay: Shore, they're unrealistic but not that unrealistic. The thing is, we don't really know how fictional all of it is since they are indeed top secret. If you look at his acknowledgements, he had a real NSA guy as his adviser. The book was also written before "worms" were everyday vocabulary and were everyday threats.

Even the religious fiction that he wrote, you aren't sure how real they were.
  • timmmaytimmmay comfortably numb PExer
    oh yeah it is very unreal, he really went way out on a limb with digital fortress! couple of things i remembered in the book was about storing 64 characters in a 64-bit key? huh! and the three million processor supercomputer? he he! :D even the biggest clustered supercomputer in the world only has a little over 8,000 processors and nsa's supercomputer is not nearly that size. the inaccuracies are terrible but probably still a good fast read for those who aren't tech-savy.

his religious fictions are debatable and i thought that the da vinci code was great. but digital fortress? even fictional stories still have to describe facts based on the right information. for instance, he just can't write that a zip is an encryption algorithm because it's absolutely not.
  • TessariaTessaria Fan Forum's Finest PExer
    He tried to explain Quantum Mechanics in Angels and Demons. I wasn't satisfied.

Goes without saying that I feel the man should stay away from writing his religious agenda in the form of fiction.
  • candleboxcandlebox Touch Me I'm Sick! PExer
    I seriously believe that Dan Brown feels he's Robert Langdon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file