Home PEx Hobbies Cars and Motoring
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

[Merged] ECU / Computer Box Questions

just recently I had my worst car problem, and it was caused by my ECU. do you guys know any shops selling or fixing ECUs. The new ones cost about 50k at CitiMotors and about 10K for them to repair it. I bought a surplus ECU at Evangelista for 5k and so far its doing fine.

Comments

• The ECU is one of the vital components of a car nowadays and can be a real headache to fix since parts and service for these things don't come cheap... I spent about 15k to have my ECU fixed when my alternator shorted and fried the circuits... :eek:
  • Hey! Your car suppose to have fuses to protect it from power fluctuations, don't you have it? :confused:
  • Yup it does, but fuses can only do so much... they're not a 100% guarantee... I can't remember exactly, but in certain extreme situations, the current can sometimes reverse its flow and this can damage the ECU... at least that's what I was told... in my case I think it was the fuel pump or something like that... I can't really remember anymore... but any number of things can degrade the ECU... say habitually leaving your car under the blazing sun for example... this really depends on the car, but in some cars like the Civics, the ECU is located under the dashboard by the right side of the passenger seat... this is well inside the cabin and a car left in the heat can get temperatures up in that area pretty high... one time won't do it, but years of habitually leaving the car in the blazing heat can eventually degrade a car's ECU... I dunno where the ECU is in other cars, but it's always good to know where it is... this isn't really an issue in other countries like Japan or the US, but here were it can get really hot, it's a potential problem... :|
  • I just had a problem with my ECU, but it wasn't the program that was damaged but the contact of the cable and wiring. Somehow the extreme difference in temperatures here in LA coz one of the wire contact to separate when the temperature in the engine compartment goes up. Diagnosing and finding the right cable/ wire contact location took a long time. My odometer and speed sensor is electronic, fuel mixture is dependent on the speed and acceleartion of the car. Everytime that specific contact was separated my speedometer and odometer stopped working, my ABS and my dynamic stability control was not working and the worst part was the car was running in default fuel mixture settings which was very rich. My gasoline consumption was very high.
  • Just a warning on when some CASA shops diagnose the ECU, always get a second opinion before you take their advice on changing it. I've already exprienced twice some mehanics putting the problem of my friend's cars on the ECU... what we did was to remove the ECU and get one from a functioning, identical vehicle and plugged it in (and vice versa)... the problem was still with the ailing car and the healthy one still functioned well with the supposedly bad ECU.

What problems did you complain that made them diagnose the ECU? :)
  • if ur ECU's are fried, as in burned beyond recognition. replacement is recommended. of course no. 1 choice is casa. if you have the moolah. 2nd choice is surplus shops. who knows you could find a civic type-r ecu for your common civic!

ECU's are not that complicated. they are just capacitors, fuses, diodes , etc that are soldered into a board. any competent electrician can repair it.
  • Originally posted by sx8
    ECU's are not that complicated. they are just capacitors, fuses, diodes , etc that are soldered into a board. any competent electrician can repair it.

True... but even a simple ECU has to be calibrated correctly... you wouldn't want your idle to hold at just 500 rpm or at 2500 rpm right? It's still best to have an experienced electrician who knows the workings of an engine... :D
  • I had my car examined by three mechanics, and two of them pointed the ECU as the culprit, so what i did was to borrow the ECU from my friends car (same make of course), and the car worked normal.

Things to check. See if the "Check Engine" indicator is lit permanently, it is a sign of a faulty ECU. On normal ocasion, when you start your engine it will light for about five seconds, then it will turn off.
  • My Nissan Sentra's ECU conked out exactly 1 year ago and UMC quoted 50 T for a new one. Of course, I brought (actually towed) my car to Banawe but couldn't find a proper replacement at the surplus shops. Ended up having it "rewired" for about 4T. I still have the cellphone number of the "technician". Have minor problems though (like the engine dies when I execute hard braking). Had batteries, fuel lines, electrical wiring checked and there seems to be no problems with them. I'm suspecting it's the "rewiring". Incidentally, since the ECU is basically an IC board, my Dad said he could have fixed it himself (highly doubt it though).
  • Originally posted by quarkstorm
    My Nissan Sentra's ECU conked out exactly 1 year ago and UMC quoted 50 T for a new one. Of course, I brought (actually towed) my car to Banawe but couldn't find a proper replacement at the surplus shops. Ended up having it "rewired" for about 4T. I still have the cellphone number of the "technician". Have minor problems though (like the engine dies when I execute hard braking). Had batteries, fuel lines, electrical wiring checked and there seems to be no problems with them. I'm suspecting it's the "rewiring". Incidentally, since the ECU is basically an IC board, my Dad said he could have fixed it himself (highly doubt it though).

What year is your car and whats the engine? Do you experience this with the AC on or off? Do you get some divebombing idling when you rev high then release the gas pedal?

Did the technician simply change the wires or did he change the wiring set-up? If its the latter, thats kinda risky IMO.
  • It's a 1998 Nissan Sentra Series III, 1.6 L. I'm using the A/C most of the time so I don't really notice. No divebombing after said maneuver. Don't exactly know what they did but it looks like he just changed the wires. Oh well, it's time for a vehicle change anyway.
  • The Nissan GA series engines are quite known for divebombing or erratic idle when they age. The usual culprits could be any of the following:

- dirty PCV, AAC, MAF, and/or throttle body... these are all located in the intake plenum of the GA16DNE engine (where the air filter intake connects to in the engine). It can be taken apart and the said parts (except the MAF) can be cleaned with carb cleaner. Clean the MAF with contact cleaner.

- an "off" MAF. The MAF (Mass Air Flow) measures the intake air and gives a signal to the ECU to give the proper A/F mixture. Over time, the MAF sensor becomes corroded or dirty and thus sends a wrong signal to the ECU.

- Wrong spark plugs... Are you using NGK BKR5E's or BKR6E's?

Such repairs can be done DIY but i'm not so familiar with the GA16DNE engine intake plenum in the B14 "series 3" model. It has a diff intake from the one in the GA16DE engine in the B13 "series 2" model where i've already done some DIY fixing.
  • Some dealers will blame the ECU for any problems they can't diagnose. It is always advisable to get a 2nd opinion from an experienced mechanic (most casa mechanics are student mechanics).
  • cuchcuch PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    do you know a shop or someone who repairs computer box for automatic trans of mitsu rvr? may nagturo sa amin sa pampanga kaso ang layo, dito sana sa manila-qc area. thanks, hope you can help us.
  • ei guys can you pls tell me whats the use of this device at our car ? , and how can you tell if its busted already ??
  • ECU controls the vital functions in the engine, fuel systems, a/f ratio, sensors, etc...

If you think its busted, the best to do is to get a good ECU from another similar car and plug it into your car and vice versa. This will help. :)
  • Our car once had a busted ECU (not the Vios). As a result the automatic transmission would no longer engage low gear and overdrive...parang it got stuck on 2nd and 3rd gear.
  • cuchcuch PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    mga pre may alam ba kayo na gumagawa ng computer box ng a/t? saan at magkano damage? salamat!
  • for what car? paano sira? sometimes its better off to get a new one, or 2nd hand.
  • For what ride? What were the problems with your old ECU?