FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

What To Bring To the Hospital For The Big Day [Merged]

Hello everyone! :*)

I just want to know what to bring to the hospital when I give birth. I know na I should bring essentials, like toiletries and clothes for the baby.

But is there anything else I should bring? I need tips tips tips. I'm packing na kasi my hospital bag. And I do not want to forget anything! Especially since I live in Para?aque, and I'm giving birth in Manila!

Help me out. :*)

Comments

• foxxxxyfoxxxxy Uh Oh! PExer
    Usually the hospital will provide whatever you will need
    for you and your baby. I gave birth here in the US and I only
    used 1 set of clothes on my way home.

Just to make sure, and if you're having a natural birth,
    bring lots of sanitary napkins or better yet adult diapers.
    You will bleed a lot after giving birth. Also bring or ask
    from the hospital lots of ice packs too. There's also this
    spray I forgot what's it called and it soothes your thingy
    after giving birth.

For the baby, bring lots of receiving blankets and diapers!
    Here in the States free kasi lahat yan specially kung Pinay
    pa yung nurse. They also give tons of formula for the baby.

Well good luck to you! Be strong and I'll include you in my
    prayers. Btw, I'm also giving birth on December :)
  • flavvvahflavvvah Member PExer
    Thanks foxxxyx! :*)

Super magkalapit pala due dates natin. :*) I'm giving birth end of November. Bka nga umabot pa ng December since it's my first baby.

Sana ganon din dito. The hospital will provide everything. I heard nga daw na in the States, they even provide you with a going-home carseat. Dito hindi ganon, at all. Hayyy. Dito, you have to provide eveyrthing yourself. If the hospital does provide, they'll charge u extra pa. Kaya I wanna bring everything that will minimize the bill.

Goodluck to you too! :*)
  • doc_irenedoc_irene Elmo's World ✭✭
    Originally posted by foxxxxy
    Usually the hospital will provide whatever you will need
    for you and your baby. I gave birth here in the US and I only
    used 1 set of clothes on my way home.

Just to make sure, and if you're having a natural birth,
    bring lots of sanitary napkins or better yet adult diapers.
    You will bleed a lot after giving birth. Also bring or ask
    from the hospital lots of ice packs too. There's also this
    spray I forgot what's it called and it soothes your thingy
    after giving birth.

For the baby, bring lots of receiving blankets and diapers!
    Here in the States free kasi lahat yan specially kung Pinay
    pa yung nurse. They also give tons of formula for the baby.

Well good luck to you! Be strong and I'll include you in my
    prayers. Btw, I'm also giving birth on December :)

You are soo right!:)
    I also gave birth here in the US, and everything the baby needs is provided for by the hospital, except yung car seat. I brought tons of my baby's things when i gave birth di rin nagamit except yung damit nyang ginamit pauwi namin. Pati yung sobra na mga diapers, diaper ointment etc.. na nakalagay dun sa drawer ng crib ng baby ko was given to me by the nurse when we went home, even the blankets and the shirts.

I know about the spray thing that you mentioned. i also used it weeks after i went home, pati yung tucks pads.
  • doc_irenedoc_irene Elmo's World ✭✭
    @ flavvvah

basta bring everything that you know you would use/need.

sa baby bring the basics just in case di magprovide ang hospital.

make a checklist.
  • ChiQuiChiQui Member PExer
    My suggestions are:

FOR YOU
    - nightgowns (if you don't want to wear the hospital gown)\
    - robe
    - slippers
    - toiletries
    - something to read (to while the time away if your labor seems to be too long)
    - maternity underwear (the looser the underwear the better, especially if you have an episiotomy)
    - maternity napkins

FOR THE BABY (is the baby will be roomed in)
    - clothes
    - socks / booties
    - mittens
    - cap
    - blankets
    - lots of diapers
    - lots of wipe cloths
    - diaper wipes
    - bottles
    - formula (if you're not breastfeeding)
    - cotton
    - alcohol
    - cotton buds

Try to bring everything you think you'll need since if you'll get it from the hospital pa, they'll charge you for it. Pro-rated charges pa. :(
    You girls don't know how much I'm taking your advice to heart! :) I'm actually writing all of this down.

Thanks doc_irene!

And thanks Chiqui for the very detailed list!
  • food. :yum:
    no, seriously. cause sometimes labor makes you nauseated so you'll be wanting the food that you were okay with in the morning sickness days.

and it's not really nice to have to deal with spoons and forks when you're having contractions... lollipops are good. :yum: and ice chips. i think some hospitals provide the ice chips. cardinal santos does. but then... that's just frozen water. you're right... everything else will turn up in the bill. from cotton balls to lactacyd that magically appears in your post-delivery room.
    :confused:

a massager! the happy face wooden kind...

towels... and it's a good idea to bring for more than the time you assume you'll be staying, to avoid having to send for more things.

good luck... happy birthday!
  • iaraiara marooned PExer
    food. not for you but for your husband. seriously. you don't know how long your labor will last so best to be prepared. your rah-rah person has to eat so he can cheer you on and comfort you when your delivery time comes.
    Thanks tortangpagong and thanks iara!

I made a list na, maybe you guys can add more or delete some items for me. :*)

-what to expect when you're expecting book
    -cds + discman
    -camera
    -toiletries
    -massager (thanks for the tip tortangpagong ;) )
    -beanbag
    -food
    -socks
    -nightgowns
    -underwear
    -brush
    -face towels
    -make up
    -mirror
    -napkins/adult diapers
    -playing cards
    -thank u notes
    -breaspump
    -nursing bra
    -breastpads
    -fibrous food (to help me move bowels faster!)
    -kool aid and lemonade mix
    -bedtray

4 the baby:
    -receiving blankets (is 2 enuff?)
    -1 pack disposable diapers (24? ok na ba yun?)
    -booties (2 pairs)
    -mittens (2 pairs)
    -tie sides (5 pcs)
    -lactaderm wash
    -wipes
    -bottles + nipples
    -formula (just in case)
    -cotton
    -alcohol
    -cotton buds

whatcha guys think? ok na ba 'to?
  • annieliseannielise sui generis PExer
    Flavvvah: I think you listed more than what is necessary. You're just gonna stay 2-3 days at most at the hospital. Here is what my hospital told me to bring:

Hospital Checklist

For You:
    Insurance Cards
    Robe, nightgown (open in front), slippers
    Supportive or nursing bra
    Comb, brush
    Toothpaste, toothbrush
    Cosmetics and toiletries
    Shower Cap
    Discharge Clothes (maternity, not your normal size)
    Focal point object if you plan to use one
    napkins (for overnight or the thick ones)

For Your Coach (Hubby)
    Snacks, refreshments
    Telephone numbers
    Change of clothing (in the event of a long labor)
    Camera or camcorder
    Tapes, films, extra batteries

For Baby
    Receiving blanket
    Discharge Clothes
    Diapers
    Car seat (don't forget this! don't carry baby on your lap for the trip home it's dangerous)

For Labor
    Hard candy on a stick
    Socks
    Pillows
    Focal point
    Tennis balls, rolling pin
    Lip balm

Optional
    Watch
    Pen and address book
    Birth announcements
    Stationery and stamps
    Books, magazines

The reason why not a lot of stuff was listed for baby is because most of his clothes and stuff will be provided by the hospital (at least here in our area). But bring breastfeeding supplies too because you'll be breastfeeding immediately.

By the way are you having your baby circumcised? We are. So if you are don't forget to bring one big tub of Vaseline petroleum jelly. :)
    wow I didn't know you can eat during your labor!
    when I had mine I ws told not to eat anything.
    Just ice chips! They were giving me only a few pa nga eh!

TRy to check this out I found at Very Best Baby
  • WittygurlWittygurl Pectore Velnus PExer
    Originally posted by foxxxxy
    wow I didn't know you can eat during your labor!
    when I had mine I ws told not to eat anything.
    Just ice chips! They were giving me only a few pa nga eh!

ice chips? I was told naman na walang bawal.. i can eat whatever I want.. yun nga lang, i don't have the appetite to eat coz of the pain.
    Thanks annielise, foxxxy and wittygurl!

annielise, here kasi sa 'pinas they charge you with everything they use on the baby. from the baby wash down to the cotton balls. kaya i wanna bring everything needed to minimize costs.

Friend ko rin, walang pinakain sakanya. kasi daw digestion might interfere with labor.

tanong ko lang, up to how many hours before can you eat talaga?
    Well my hostpital only recommended hard candy, and on a stick pa!! It's okay as long as it's just used to relieve the stress. Saka maybe it's not during active labor but during the first few hours of it lang.
  • JoYcE`TiKJoYcE`TiK Member PExer
    pinaka-importante eto para sa akin:
    camera with film AND batteries
    baby's going-home outfit
    your going-home outfit maski isa lang (i ended up using my hospital clothes cuz i was too tired to even change into my own clothes)
    slippers (mag-chinelas ka na lang on your way to the hospital)

ask what the hospital will provide. kung hindi kasama diapers dun, bring a lot of diapers and wipes. alcohol for the baby's belly. snacks (hospital food sucks). breast pads. madaming receiving blanket kasi mahirap na baka mag-leak yung diaper ng baby. he'll poop a lot i swear i'm telling ya!! hehehehehh.
    Originally posted by flavvvah

tanong ko lang, up to how many hours before can you eat talaga?

I gave birth at exactly 8:25 pm (w/ a 10 hour labor!)
    They put me in my room at around 12:00am I think.
    Then they let me order food. So I guess after you've
    seen your baby and you're finally relieved from giving birth
    you can already eat.
    My gosh, nakakagutom pala manganak ah! I didn't know ganon ka tagal before you could actually eat again!

Hmm.. sana short lang labor ko. I've been walking walking walking nga almost everyday sa malls eh. Para mabilis lang labor.

Well, thanks you guys for all the tips and info!
  • walking really helps... i think it speeds up labor cause it kinda hurries the baby's descent. i would have had a really fast labor, i was already fully effaced and our baby was right there but for some reason i couldn't dilate past 6 cm! so i had to push to force dilation... oww... but it was really quick after that.

you can eat whatever you want, actually... the only problem is moving your bowels while giving birth, but thats more of your embarrassment than anything harmful... thy used to not allow eating during labor because in theyt only used general anaesthesia and the danger was you might inhale your stomach contents into your lungs cause of no control... so i guess if you do feel up to eating, stick to easily digested food...

the massager is really the best! it really, really helped. also... if you get bothered by music that you don't like, it's a good idea to bring your own music and player... we forgot that and were stuck listening to the nurse's radio station. actually, we kept switching the karaoke to our station but they also kept switching back... so... there. :)

yes, you get really hungry. i only had one piece of bread before a twelve hour labor! i spent around an hour of whiling away contractions by thinking of all the food i wanted to eat after... i wanted pizza, a coffee shake, a chewy fudge cookie... haaay. :)
    I hope I go into labor when I wake up first thing in the morning! Para naman my energy level is still at its peak, and I could eat muna a little breakfast. Grabe, I can't believe I'm actually giving birth soon. Parang my days are running out! I'm scared! Pero I'm also excited. I wanna see my baby boy na! :)

Again, thanks tortangpagong! :)
    Flavvvah, when exactly are you due? I'm due supposedly on Oct. 20th, but I have this feeling that I'm gonna be due earlier. Had another ultrasound and my baby is already 6.1 lbs and I'm just on my 33rd week! His size is already for 36 weeks. I hope I won't get induced, although my OB hasn't said anything to me about inducing yet. I guess I'll give birth earlier than you will. I'll keep you posted about my labor :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file