Home PEx Hobbies Cars and Motoring
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

[Merged] Auto Detailing

[I'm not really sure if there's a thread similar to this one. I tried searching manually the whole forum but I found nothing similar to this one.]

Anyone who's into auto detailing? Newbies, wannabes and professionals?

Newbie pa lang po ako and most of my knowledge in auto detailing are only theoretical.

Care to share your knowledge about the subject?

Tnx!
«13

Comments

  • Tnx for the info (though I already read that site).:D

    What I'm looking for is the real trade secret of the pros. I already have all the necessary tools and chemicals but I'm not really sure on how to use them step-by-step. Marami kasi akong nabasa kaso karamihan ay hindi local content kaya di ako maka-relate masyado.

    Yun lang.
  • Check out this local Philippine detailing website. Its very informative: http://groups.msn.com/PinasDetailing

    As for me, i try to wax my car around once a month or so with Meguiars 3 in 1 or Meguiars Yellow wax.

    Another thing, use only terry cloth towels when you wash and wax your car as this helps minimize scratches and swirl marks. Chamois is also OK for drying. Avoid using pranella.
  • Originally posted by slamm
    Check out this local Philippine detailing website. Its very informative: http://groups.msn.com/PinasDetailing

    As for me, i try to wax my car around once a month or so with Meguiars 3 in 1 or Meguiars Yellow wax.

    Another thing, use only terry cloth towels when you wash and wax your car as this helps minimize scratches and swirl marks. Chamois is also OK for drying. Avoid using pranella.

    Pumunta na din ako dun and I tried na magpamember kaya lang eh di na ata active yung group sa pagpo2st dun and di pa din naaapprove yung application ko for membership (2 weeks na yun halos). At alam ko din na mas maraming nagpo2st dito sa PeX kaya malamang eh marami2 din naman sigurong magi2ng interested na makibahagi sa discussion about auto detailing. :D

    Teka, anong pinagkaiba ng terry cloth sa microfiber? Sa Autopia kasi, nire2commend nila yung microfiber sa paglilinis eh. Yun din ang ginagamit ko sa paglilinis (and even for drying). About naman dun sa pranela: bakit di sya advisable na gamitin for drying? Bumili kasi ako ng isang metro nun tapos hinati ko sa apat and yun ang ginagamit ko na applicator (and for drying na rin siguro pag nililinis ko yung loob ng sasakyan). Btw, eto nga pala yung epektus na ginagamit ko:

    * Polyglaze 2 in 1 car wash and deep cleaner (tama ba? basta ito yung liquid na kulay blue at pink... parang bang oil na lumulutang sa tubig)
    * 3M Scratch Remover
    * 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
    * Simoniz Diamond ek-ek Polymer Sealant
    * 3M Show Car Liquid Wax
    * 3M Plastic Polish (para sa mga trimmings)
    * B&D KP600 (2 applicator, 2 wool bonnet tapos yung parang pang-polish)

    OK na kaya ito kung pangbahay lang naman or for the daily driver? Any recommendations I did some quick detailing last saturday and medyo OK naman kinalabasan. I will try to post pics siguro later or tomorrow.

    Yun lang.
  • On terrycloth vs. microfiber, i honestly dont know what the diff is. the advantage of using these is that they "trap" the dirt particles (big and small) inbetween. They keep the dirt from scratching the surface of the paint. With pranela, it doesnt trap the dirt, thus causing the small swirlmarks on the car paint over time.

    I got my terrycloth from S&R Price before (around P200+ for a dozen). I use them for washing and buffing the wax after application. For drying, i still use Kanebo chamois although this too should also be kept clean as it also doesnt trap dirt that well.

    My applicator i got from Meguiars in Kamias along with the waxes. For full detailing, i still bring my car to my friend's detail shop due to lack of time and materials to do a dull detail job myself.
  • As promised, here are some of my ride's pics after I did some "quick and minor" detailing. First time ko ito kaya di ko alam kung pwede na yung nagawa ko. Sensya na sa quality ng pics... 7250i lang ang piangkuha ko nito kaya panget.:mad:

    friends009.jpgfriends010.jpgfriends011.jpgfriends012.jpgfriends013.jpg

    Btw, how much do you pay for full detailing and how long does it take them to do one?

    Tnx!
  • Detailing has different steps and procedures... The usual ones would be "step 1", "Step 2", and "Step 3". Step 1 is just some light work on the car while step 2 would be a moderate job for paints with some light scratches roughness, contamination, etc... Step 3 is the heavy one (for bad paint, heavy scratches) which would use abrasives that wil thin down the clear coat somewhat. The 3 can only be done once in the lifetime of the paint coating AFAIK.

    Price varies from shop to shop, the materials used, and the extent of the paint condition. There's also other add-ons like interior and engine detailing... The time would take anywhere from a day to two days as well.

    Seems like your paint is still in good generally condition based on the pics. As for me, i like maintaining my paint well but i'm not super-"OC" unlike some friends of mine :eek: . I can still live with some scratches and door dings here and there (thats life... especially when a lot of peeps just seem to hit you in parking lots).
  • Diba yung steps is applicable for all car paint conditions and finishes? Sa pagkakaintindi ko eh it goes like this:

    Step 1: Wash car with a good cleaner
    Step 2: Feel the paint. If it isn't smooth, clean it with clay and pre-cleaner wax of sort...
    Step 3: Apply rubbing compounds/swirl mark removers/scratch removers.
    Step 4: Apply Glaze (repeat if necessary)
    Step 5: Apply Sealant (2-4 coats)
    Step 5: Apply polish/wax

    Nagkakaiba lang naman ata ito sa mga chemicals na ginagamit eh (which depends on the car's paint finish). Ewan ko lang po pero correct me if I am wrong. Sabi nga rin ng nanay ko eh parang may sakit na daw ako kasi maya't maya eh lumalapit ako sa sasakyan tapos pupunasan ko.:D

    Isa pang gusto kong malaman is kung may interval ba na sinusunod ang bawat steps na ito. Yung iba kasi ay may curing time eh and that I don't know.

    Yun lang.
  • The "steps" in detail shop is slightly different from what we see off the shelf. These steps are based on what the condition of the paint is. :)

    The off shelf stuff is placed in "steps" so that consumer may understand them better IMO (on what to apply DIY).

    Addicting nga mag detail. :) ganda kasi once you've seen and appreciated the car, especially if its you who did the work... satisfaction... :cool:
  • vaevictisvaevictis PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Kaso, biglang uulan habang dumadaan ka sa North Luzon Expressway! Hahahaha!! :lol:

    Teka, magkano nga ba magpa-detail? Gusto ko sana kasi puro road tar na yung auto namin e, white pa naman.. Lecheng NLEX yan!! :grr:

    Papa-detail ko pagkatpapos ng rainy season hehe.
  • Nakakainis nga when it rains after a nice detail job but take note that the detail/waxes are there to protect you paint work. If you noticed, it easier to wash of the mud and grime if the car has a coating of wax. :)

    On the tar, you can remove it with Kerosene (dont use gasoline or rubbing compounds as it'll strip your finish).
  • Originally posted by vaevictis
    Kaso, biglang uulan habang dumadaan ka sa North Luzon Expressway! Hahahaha!! :lol:

    Teka, magkano nga ba magpa-detail? Gusto ko sana kasi puro road tar na yung auto namin e, white pa naman.. Lecheng NLEX yan!! :grr:

    Papa-detail ko pagkatpapos ng rainy season hehe.

    OK lang naman pag umuulan eh, lalo na pag malufet yung sealant na nilagay mo. Isipin mo ha: yung mga ginagawang tests ng mga kano sa kanilang sasakyan (wax/synthetics test) ay tumatagal ng 4 weeks o higit pa. At alam mo ba kung saan nila sinu-subject ang mga test panels nila? Sa simulated and accelerated storm, salt, bird droppings, etc.! That means mas harsh (sobrang definitely) yung road conditions nila na ikinonsidera. Eh yung sa atin naman eh siguro di ganong kalala...

    How much magpadetail? Php1700-2000 (actually it depends sa size ng vehicle mo). The price I gave you is for a 1.6 sedan. Try mo Big Bert's sa Araneta (dating Redline racing na spot). Magaling at mura sila magdetail dun.

    Yun lang.
  • vaevictisvaevictis PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ahh.. Ganun ba yun? Kasi lagi ako dumadaan sa NLEX, e ang lubak lubak dun kaya madami akong nakukuhabg mga road tar dun..

    Yung mga road tar ba matatanggal pag pina detail mo? O kaya pagkatapos mo magpadetail mahirap na silang kumapit?
  • The tar will still stick though... I remember working on our white car one whole morning to remove all the tar then waxed it... then they paved our subdivison road with a fresh coat of asphalt a week later...
  • You know those are some seriously long detail procedures to follow. And alot of them are over kill if you ask me. If you drive your car everyday, you should only do a full detail every 2-3 months. Alot of your time is wasted waxing and preping and with the weather in the PI and condition it sucks. Your car wont get any shinnier, or last any longer verses a quick wash and quick wax. Waxs dont last long in PI sun...id say a week. I recommend Zymol to you guys. It drys extremely fast and one coat is good enough. Your not supposed to let Zymol sit, apply to two body panels and wipe dry.

    Some other tips not listed:
    For full detail, wash with Dawn Dish Washing Soap, the blue one. Only use this if you are doing a full detail. DO NOT USE THIS FOR REGULAR WASH, YOU WILL SERIOUSLY JACK UP THE PAINT. Do not use any dish washing liquid for regular wash.

    The towels should be 100% cotton or microfiber. I can atest to the microfiber towels..they are awesome and really do not leave swirls. Also make sure you wash the clothes withOUT detergent. Detergent makes the towels less absorbant.

    Quick Detail spray by Meguires or Eagle 1 works well.
  • vaevictis: Definitely matatanggal sya pag nagpa-detail ka but I'm not sure kung mabilis syang matanggal if your car is already detailed. IMHO, depende yung sa chemicals (sealants and waxes) na nilagay nung nagdetail sa ride mo. If it's Simoniz (and the likes), maaaring di tumagal yung protection. But if they'll be going for Klasse (or kung medyo maswerte ka talaga- Zaino), added protection yun.

    slamm: You don't have to work the whole morning para lang tanggalin yung road tar. Kerosene/gas ang gamit mo noh? I suggest you go for 3M bug, tar and wax remover. Wala pang isang oras, alis agad yan kahit mala-piso pa ang size ng grime.

    Dimasalang: Are you referring to the procedures I posted? [Kung OO], my procedures are already the standard in auto detailing, if not relatively short/simple as compared to the pros. AFAIK, matino pa weather satin as compared sa states kasi rain and pollution lang ang kalaban natin. Sa U.S., they have rain (severe acid rain for that matter), pollution, snow and salt. Since na ang mga synthetics ngayon ay gawa sa ibang bansa, expect it to perform here in our country pretty well kasi nga na-subject na yun sa mas malalang weather condition. If you really want protection, go for Zaino (Z2 or Z5). Layer it (about 2-4 coats) and top it off with S100 or Pinnacle Souveran... ewan ko lang kung di tumagal ito ng 6 months to a year. Just be sure to use the right tools when cleaning your car (wash mitts, MF towels, etc.)

    About sa Dawn: maraming gumagamit nito, esp. when prepping up a car for detailing. Highly concentrated kasi sya at medyo tough sa tar and grime. Pero a detergent is still a detergent, kahit na anong gawin natin. Di ko alam kung saan makakabili nito sa Pinas pero If I'll be buying one, sa kusina pa rin namin ang bagsak nito.:D Agree po ako sa sinabi mo na di dapat regular ang paggamit nito when cleaning cars.

    FYI lang: Meguiar's Quick Detailer did pretty bad in the latest Guru reports about waxes. It placed second to the last (last yung Pledge- typical furniture cleaner). Nakakatawa nga eh kasi pinagtripan nung mga nagreview sa Guru Reports yung Pledge. But technically, that places Meg's Quick Detailer in the last place.:yum:
  • Originally posted by Kikkomann

    Dimasalang: Are you referring to the procedures I posted? [Kung OO], my procedures are already the standard in auto detailing, if not relatively short/simple as compared to the pros. AFAIK, matino pa weather satin as compared sa states kasi rain and pollution lang ang kalaban natin. Sa U.S., they have rain (severe acid rain for that matter), pollution, snow and salt. Since na ang mga synthetics ngayon ay gawa sa ibang bansa, expect it to perform here in our country pretty well kasi nga na-subject na yun sa mas malalang weather condition. If you really want protection, go for Zaino (Z2 or Z5). Layer it (about 2-4 coats) and top it off with S100 or Pinnacle Souveran... ewan ko lang kung di tumagal ito ng 6 months to a year. Just be sure to use the right tools when cleaning your car (wash mitts, MF towels, etc.)

    About sa Dawn: maraming gumagamit nito, esp. when prepping up a car for detailing. Highly concentrated kasi sya at medyo tough sa tar and grime. Pero a detergent is still a detergent, kahit na anong gawin natin. Di ko alam kung saan makakabili nito sa Pinas pero If I'll be buying one, sa kusina pa rin namin ang bagsak nito.:D Agree po ako sa sinabi mo na di dapat regular ang paggamit nito when cleaning cars.

    FYI lang: Meguiar's Quick Detailer did pretty bad in the latest Guru reports about waxes. It placed second to the last (last yung Pledge- typical furniture cleaner). Nakakatawa nga eh kasi pinagtripan nung mga nagreview sa Guru Reports yung Pledge. But technically, that places Meg's Quick Detailer in the last place.:yum:

    Im not saying your procedure is all wrong...just saying it is over kill if you do the procedure every couple weeks or even once a month. Unless you have a complete show car or a high dollar automobile, then the following would be ok. Not everyone wants to spend the whole day washing, preping, and waxing a car.

    I used Zaino when I had my red car and used it for a few months on my black car. Ive had about 10coats on the red car..and you can see the thick layer on top of the paint, made it look like the car was covered in glass. Zaino is by far the greatest product you can ever get..extremely durable. It is $$$ to order all those products. Im going togo back to Zaino once I get a beater and keep my real car at home. If anyone wants to see pics of my red car with Zaino let me know.

    Are you sure we are talking about the same Quick Detailer? I think you are talking about Meguiars spray on Quick Wax. Alot of my friends have show cars, they compete and win alot...and some have been nice enough to be on the covers of magazines. They all use Meguiars Quick Detailer when they shine their cars at home, at the shows, or preping for some shoot.

    I dont subscribe to the guru reports. I used to be really anal about keeping my car constantly clean...my garage has bottles and bottles of different products used once just to see if I liked them. Now Im just plain lazy to try the latest or greatest. Zymol has been doing well for me...not the greatest but it can hold its own.
  • Dimasalang: Ah okie. Maybe I failed to mention that the steps I follow are not to be done on a regular basis.:) Applicable lang ito siguro dun sa mga praning na praning sa kalinisan ng kanilang sasakyan. But still, doing these steps on a regular basis can be a big waste of time and sometimes (sabi nila), can be already harmful to yur car's paint finish.

    About the Meg's Quik Detailer: Yes, I am talking about Meguiar's Quik Detailer (the spray on Quick Wax).

    Btw, taga-Pinas ka ba? Or you ordered your Zaino over the net? :confused:
  • Kikkomann

    I ordered my Zaino over the net. They do not have a physical store and they do not advertise! They are only word of mouth, they do have very very few distributiers. They are praised on every car enthusiast website. No store carrys their products. The distributiers are hard to find as well and they seldom give good deals. I spent $75US for a partial kit..and it was all i needed. Just order off the direct site.

    www.zainobros.com
  • Originally posted by Dimasalang
    Kikkomann

    I ordered my Zaino over the net. They do not have a physical store and they do not advertise! They are only word of mouth, they do have very very few distributiers. They are praised on every car enthusiast website. No store carrys their products. The distributiers are hard to find as well and they seldom give good deals. I spent $75US for a partial kit..and it was all i needed. Just order off the direct site.

    www.zainobros.com

    Yes I know that, but they do advertise (sa web lang nga lang). I tried to mail their president (Sal Zaino) about dealership here in the Philippines. Hintayin ko na lang siguro reply...

    Oh well, I guess I have to wait for my brother to order a kit for me via the web. Wala akong credit card eh.:( Sayang talaga...

    Btw, mura na yung kit na nabili mo. Isang package/kit lang ang nakita ko sa site nila and it costs around USD89++.
Sign In or Register to comment.