Home PEx News and Tech Technology Today

Phone lines only 33.6K ready?

nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
A computer technician told me something surprising today. He said that it is useless to get a 56K connection here in the Philippines because our phone lines here can only handle a 33.6K bandwith. Is this true?

Comments

• Yeah, I also heard that from some of my friends. I think the phone lines in other countries, particularly in the US, is using a digital connection. Our phone lines is using an analog connection (got the idea, just like the gsm and analog cellphones). That is why we are using modems, it is used to decode the analog signals from our telephone lines to digital in our computer. Well, I'm not claiming to know all this things but somehow this is all I know.
    One friend of mine told me that in the US, though you are connected in a 33.6 kbps, mabilis na rin daw.

[This message has been edited by jp.42 (edited 08-14-1999).]
  • no 56K in Pinas? geez, i just recommended a 56K modem upgrade to a client in Pinas.

here's my experience (same 56K pc-card modem, same laptop):

Manila (surfshop.net) - maxed at 33.6
    Houston (ibm global services) - most of the time it's 31.2 got lucky once or twice with 50K
    Houston (compuserve) - 40 to 44K

when you get used to a connection faster than 33.6, 33.6 would seem slow.

• ha? may 33.6 na? ang huli kong alam, 28.8 lang ang sa Pinas... hey, good news, we're improving... LOL =)

akala mo nakalamang ka na kase may 56K modem ka... bale wala pala... kelan kaya bibilis yung connection? sa states, downloading a file size of 10MB takes only about an hr or less pero dito aabuting ka ng kalahating araw (depende pa sa oras) =)
  • Well, actually our phone lines can now reach speeds over 33.6k, the problem is were upgrading it at a slow rate. Ang totoo lang wala naman talagang 56k speed na modem. Ang pinakamabilis na maabot mo sa 56k connection is about 43k to 46k speeds. Theoretical ang 56k na sinasabi ng mga component manufacturers (They ought to be sued for false advertising). Also, kapag hindi naka-56k ang modem na tinatawagan mo, baba ng 33.6k ang speed ng modem mo.
  • more than a year passed... with the merger of telecom companies, there has to be an improvement! experience ko sa pacific internet is 28k to 33k. di ba ang telephone lines ng PLDT is capable up to 64kbps?64x32=2.048MBps w/c makes up for 1 E1?
  • Actually the V.34 (33.6K) standard and the V.90 standard practically differ in terms of speed. You will have to account for line noise and such things when you take a look at the fact that the last mile, to your ISP and into your homes is copper. Given the fact that we are going through a fiber optic network, it doesn't really matter when you're still stuck with copper.

So realistically, assuming that your ISP isn't stiffing you on bandwidth, your 56K connection will be good for 48k-50k max on a really good day. On the average, it'll should be no less than 40k.

Modems default to the most stable connection speed even if it means connecting at 19200 kbps, if you have it set to do so.
  • Actually, the V90 (56k) specifications allowed by the US does will not really reach 5.6k/sec download speed because of certain technical restrictions.

I use a cheap Ambient 56k host-accelerated modem and I can reach a steady 4.6k/sec on fast hours (well that's what Netscape reports) but I usually average 4.1k/sec most of the time.
  • yup, max speeds only come up to 50k dont expect more for now
    some lines I know only come up to 28k (usually these are under PBX switches) other lines even slower... it depends mostly on your telephone line provider

take a telephone line thats very old and you'll probably get a noisy connection

i'd still buy a 56k modem though... they have a lot more features than slower ones :)
  • Regardless, on my old 33.6kbps modem I was getting download speeds on Pacific of around 3-4k max. On a 56k connection, it would go up to around 4-5kbps.

So I guess that's still an improvement :)
  • nix, its actually true.. the bigger reason is that the lines are low grade or medium grade copperwire. kaya nga pagumuulan, bumabagal yung mga dialups

tapos yung exchanges (POTS) are a mix of hybrid analog and digital.

which brings me to a point, would you ever subscribe to PLDT's aDSL service when the price goes down?
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    According to our Remote Access Server, dialups have reached 54667 bps. These are likely phone lines on the same PLDT switch as our E1R2 lines - 878-xxxx, in Legaspi Village, Makati.

Yes it's true, an E1 has 32 channels of 64Kbps each, 2 used for signaling management. However, these are is some analog-digital conversion involved therefore you can't reach 64K, see http://www.56k.com/basics/ for details.

If you have a leased line connection, or ISDN, which are pure digital, you can multiplex 30 of them on an E1.

About DSL - I'll post on more that.
  • Originally posted by cartman7110:
    kaya nga pagumuulan, bumabagal yung mga dialups.

At nawawala ang cable internet.. hmmnn... brownout.. tapos pagbalik, namatay naman ang phone lines at wala ng cable.. :mad: