Home PEx Sports NBA
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Van exel- Jamison trade

The key names in the trade: Mavs guard Nick Van Exel and Warriors forward Antawn Jamison.

The Mavericks are sending Van Exel, center/forward Evan Eschmeyer, forward Popeye Jones and veteran point guard Avery Johnson to Golden State for Jamison, power forward Danny Fortson, small forward Chris Mills and guard Jiri Welsch.

What do you think?

Comments

• Im not sure why Golden State agreed to this trade. Si Van Ex magaling pero matanda na. I understand the warriors need a pg to replace Arenas pero hindi worth it si Jamison na kapalit ni Van Exel.

For Dallas naman, I think its a good trade. It gives them much needed size downlow with Jamison and Fortson. Hopefully madevelop si Fortson sa Dallas.
  • this is an excellent move for Dallas. Getting three ball boys and Antawn Jamison for Nick Van Exel and three ball boys is a steal in fact.
  • Warriors - From what we know, it seems like a salary management move from the Warriors. It was a good trade for dumping a lot of salary now that they're starting over after losing Arenas. Golden State also clears the way for Dunleavy to play the 3, they clear two bad contracts in Jamison and Fortson, they clear Welsch out for Pietras to get time and they get the ending contracts of Avery and Popeye.:up:

But the big problem with this trade is Van Exel plays well and motivated on a winning team but he turns into a malcontent black hole on a losing team. Things could get ugly with him on the Warriors, especially when they once again fail to make the playoffs. As much as I love his game, he doesn't always have the best attitude. To his credit, he was on his best behavior in Dallas. But Golden State is Denver deja vu for him. Speedy Claxton just got royally screwed with this one, thinking he was going to get starter minutes.:shakehead:...Still though, I think the Warriors could have done much better if they were shopping Jamison around. He's been a solid player for years and he's just finally proving why the Warriors traded Vince Carter for him. I think they could have done much better than trading him for an aging point guard with a "horrible" attitude.

Dallas - Mavs improve offensively, but they still don't have any interior defenders (typical Dallas trade. Dump high salaries for longer term higher salaries and don't even address their biggest need.). I can just hear Don Nelson and his staff say, "Our inside defense sucks so let's go add a perimeter oriented tweener!":lol:....This trade gives them four bonafide scorers - Dallas get more firepower and I'd have to say, landing Welsch was a steal. Welsch is a good pickup with huge potential to back up the 1 and 2. But IMO, this trade just made Finley less of a player and again, they didn't address their defense at all. In case Don Nelson still can't figure it out, his run-n-gun squads have not made the finals in any era. I'm just glad he's a bit slow on the uptake.:)

Anyway, I just can't see this trade as a bad thing for the Mavs(Interesting to talk about, but not much in the way of substance. At least Cuban can act like he did something this summer though.;) ). Yeah, this trade doesn't really help the Mavs much, but they certainly didn't get worse and if nothing else Jamison can be used as a trade bait in the future (or maybe even Finley). Besides, if Dirk improves the way he does every summer and Raef shows up this season, the Mavs are gonna be very good regardless.:cool:
  • hindi ba pwede sabay sila ni clax? just like nash and nick the quick? baka lang siguro they needed to clear out an already crowded backcourt in golden state.
  • Originally posted by caloy
    Im not sure why Golden State agreed to this trade. Si Van Ex magaling pero matanda na. I understand the warriors need a pg to replace Arenas pero hindi worth it si Jamison na kapalit ni Van Exel.

For Dallas naman, I think its a good trade. It gives them much needed size downlow with Jamison and Fortson. Hopefully madevelop si Fortson sa Dallas.

maybe golden state is eyeing for a kevin garnett next season...:rolleyes:
  • GS should not have agreed to go thorugh with the trade their breaking up the team that almost got them to the playoffs last year. nawala na nga si arenas papakawalan pa nila si jamison and para kanino??? isang pg na pag napunta sa isang losing team sobrang wala na gana maglaro. i had high hopes for GS this season kahit wala si arenas but now with jamison gone too it's back to the lottery for them...as for Dallas they get another scorer which they already have in finley and dirk...still no inside force sa gitna...
  • The trade was a way of removing Fortson and Mills away form GS but the Jamison move was a bit of a shocker....

The Warriors agreed to the deal so that they can have a salary cap that Mullin can work with on 2005. They will get Van Exel who will replace Arenas but I don't know how he will fit in with the Warriors....

Allas will get a 4th scorer who has a MAX contract!!! all they did is load up their team with scorers but still has no defense to speak off.... and why trade your playoff hero to a player that has yet to make the playoffs..... is this the weak response of Cuban for the other West teams during the off season??? :confused:

k!xT3r!!!
    :hiphop:
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by mArShY
    maybe golden state is eyeing for a kevin garnett next season...:rolleyes:

but the question is will kevin garnett sign with the warriors?
    i don't think so!
    he doesn't want to be in "minnesota" again!
  • StJamesStJames PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Of course each trade has its pros & cons. People are saying that Dallas didn't actually improve defensively with this trade but what did they lose anyway? Van Exel is not noted for his defense while the other 3 are basically non-entitities. At least with Jamison, they got someone who is taller (and can snare more rebounds than Van Exel), more athletic, younger & can score as well. Fortson & Welsch are just bonuses and who knows what sort of contributions they make? Work ethics are a bit questionable but hey, who knows? Van Exel wasn't exactly a role model when he joined Dallas.
  • I think GS are applying what Dumars did to Deitroit which is to dump salaries and get whatever they can get. Hey it works but we gotta remember Detroit is in the East where a mediocre team can look good. But Mullin overlook the fact the best teams are in the West right now and you ain't gonna get a playoff ride without talent. I mean they got studs like Richardson, Dunleavy perhaps but these ain't no elite players and i don't think they have it potentially either. The way i see is they going to pile up losses and management will start wondering what the hell they were thinking and having Van Exel will certainly help the cause. He is type of player with low tolerance for losing and he can't carry a team like Warriors on his back. Well, i'm being a pessimist but knowing the Warriors, there is no reason i can not. Arenas was such a potentially great player for them. I wonder they did not do everything to retain him. After such a great promise, they got the nerve to break it apart.

Well for the Mavs, they got Jamison who like to have plays called for him, he demands to have touches and shots and he's going to ***** if he won't. I dunno how Nellie going to accomodate that but he has to. And the big 3, you know they shoot without pulses. Fortson is a bullstrong inside but you always wonder because he has difficulty fitting in on a Dallas like team with uptempo type and run and gun style. He tend to complicate better on grind out kinda team. Najera has done a good job with fitting in and there's no reason Fortson can do a better job if he's willing to work harder. If he can get on tract, he can really provide a lot of small things like dirty work and hussle than can make a great impact.
  • Originally posted by peacelove143
    hindi ba pwede sabay sila ni clax? just like nash and nick the quick? baka lang siguro they needed to clear out an already crowded backcourt in golden state.
    --->I don't think it will happen. They already have J-Rich and B. Sura in that department. If Claxton only knew that he won't get starter minutes in GS, something tells me that he would've had signed elsewhere.
    Originally posted by color_s_Kaboink
    but the question is will kevin garnett sign with the warriors?
    i don't think so!
    he doesn't want to be in "minnesota" again!
    :lol:

--->Damn right!:lol:....Regardless of how much money the Warriors has to offer, what big-time free agent is going to want to come to Oakland? What has the Warriors organization done in it's history that would make a player think that other than getting paid, they will be joining an organization that is dedicated to, and has the front office to put together a winner?
  • wow nalugi ang warriors!!! at ang lakas na ng mavericks!!! pero nasan pa rin defense nila??? no defense, no championship. sorry.
  • Monday's deal sent Danny Fortson, Antawn Jamison, Chris Mills and Jiri Welsch to Dallas and Evan Eschmeyer, Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Popeye Jones and Antoine Rigaudeau to Golden State. Here's how the teams will be affected:
    • Mavs -- Pro: Added even more offense with Jamison slotted in at small forward, and if Fortson can find his form of two years ago, the team will have another legit rebounder to complement Dirk Nowitzki. Welsch, entering his second season, showed some all-around talent during summer league play ... Con: Without Van Exel and Johnson, Dallas now has just one point guard in Steve Nash, and though Johnson didn't play many minutes, he was a respected leader on the bench and often viewed as an unofficial assistant coach.
    • Warriors -- Pro: Golden State likes Mike Dunleavy, Jr., and trading Jamison creates a starting spot for the second-year swingman. Van Exel joins Speedy Claxton to fill the void at point guard left by the departed Gilbert Arenas and Earl Boykins ... Con: Van Exel wanted to stay in Dallas, and he may not be pleased with the prospect of joining a non-contender. Meanwhile, none of the other four acquired players are expected to have an impact role.

It was a good move for Dallas, the only problem they're facing now is who will relieve Steve Nash, they have no legitimate point guard to replace Nash when he gets tired.
  • maybe they dont need a legit back-up to nash. maybe finley, jamison or dirk could be a point forward (ala grant hill or anthony mason). welsch can play the point.

as for clax, he would probably reprise his san antonio role in gs.

as for problem child jamison, nellie will find a way, trust me.
  • Originally posted by sixxx
    --->Damn right!:lol:....Regardless of how much money the Warriors has to offer, what big-time free agent is going to want to come to Oakland? What has the Warriors organization done in it's history that would make a player think that other than getting paid, they will be joining an organization that is dedicated to, and has the front office to put together a winner?

If he goes to OAKLAND, he might do an OAKWOOD. ehehehe. :glee:

:dj:
  • Poor Speedy. Ain't the Warriors promised him to be their starting PG, before he signed? He could've stayed in SA and seriously contend for another title.

speaking of promises, try to join PBA-GG 5 and I promise you won't regret it. :D

june_dunk.gif
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    Hey, it's not like Dallas is getting any other offers on the table involving a defensive-minded big man.... so why are you guys griping about "no D"? They had a chance to improve some areas: go younger, improve rebounding, and add a low post threat with this trade so they went for it.

Besides, they'll probably trade some of their expendables/spare parts (which is now possible because they have a short term contract in their disposal) for a team that has a quality big man and would like to dump salary. Some candidates being considerd right now are Theo Ratliff, Marcus Camby (yet to complete a season in his career which is a risk) and some of the undersized centers in the LEASTern conference like the foul happy Kurt Thomas.

sheep.jpg
  • Originally posted by Pandaemonaeon
    Hey, it's not like Dallas is getting any other offers on the table involving a defensive-minded big man.... so why are you guys griping about "no D"? They had a chance to improve some areas: go younger, improve rebounding, and add a low post threat with this trade so they went for it.

Besides, they'll probably trade some of their expendables/spare parts (which is now possible because they have a short term contract in their disposal) for a team that has a quality big man and would like to dump salary. Some candidates being considerd right now are Theo Ratliff, Marcus Camby (yet to complete a season in his career which is a risk) and some of the undersized centers in the LEASTern conference like the foul happy Kurt Thomas.

sheep.jpg

--->Who are the expandable players that bear trade value? Chris Mills?:lol:...Among the big men mentioned, only Camby(2yr/15M) is realistic.

Ok now from what i've seen posted in the other thread - Lafrentz/Chris Mills for Theo Ratliff/Nazr? Where does this rumor come from?:confusing:...Lafrentz has six years left with an average of $10M. So he and Mills are $67M guaranteed salary combined. Ratliff and Nazr are $36M combined. Paying $31M more is NOT salary dumping for the Hawks. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    for me ... both teams will be at a losing end... okay na si antawn and nick with their previous roles... unless gagwain ng mavs na trade bait si antawn or one of the big three.
  • again....

Dallas makes a trade which improves their offense but not thier D (again:rolleyes: )

yeah, yeah as if you guys are going to convince me that Fortson is a defensive stopper:rolleyes: