[MERGED] Birth Control Pills / Oral Contraceptive Pills

i'm thinking of taking kse birth control pills...kaya lang di ko alam kung ano ang pwedeng maging side effects nito. help me naman oh...
if ever may alam kayo na brand ng pills..tell me na rin

Comments

• IraIra Member PExer
    Different birth control pills have different side effects. Before you start taking them, you should have a baseline pap smear done to see if it's safe for you to take them. If you are prone to cervical cancer based on the pap smear, taking pills may increase your risk of developing it. Please do not self-medicate with pills. Consult an ob-gyne instead, someone who is properly trained to check you up and monitor you, give you advice on different kinds of contraception, and who can instruct you properly on what days to take a particular pill. Do not listen to people who have no medical training about taking these medications.
  • bUtTeRfInGeRbUtTeRfInGeR Member PExer
    huh?! but why? di ba may side effects yan?!
  • pinkmoonpinkmoon parker poser PExer
    Ira: I'm starting to question some medical practices there in the Philippines. I went to our family ob-gyne who was my mom's and my lola's and just about my whole family's ob-gyne and asked him about getting on the pill. I was aware at the time that it's not suited for certain women such as those with a history of breast and cervical cancer in their family or those who are prone to this. He went ahead and gave me a prescription WITHOUT administering a pap smear. I had my first pap only a little over a year ago here in Canada because they're really strict here about that. In fact, when I switched doctors and asked for a new prescription for my pills, he wanted to know the results of my last pap test and was very firm about this. As far as I know that pap was fine, but now I am kind of concerned that my orig doc in the Phils just went ahead and prescribed without doing any tests. Should I still be concerned about this or since my first pap came back OK naman then I can just forget about it?

Also, I know that women on the pill are advised not to smoke because of the potential formation of blood clots which leads to heart attacks (or was it strokes?). What about second hand smoke? I am exposed to this constantly because my husband is a pack-a-day smoker and we work at home. Can this be added to the long list of the adverse effects of second-hand smoke?

And for those who were wondering about the side effects of the pill, I am on Diane 35 (I forget what kind of combination it is exactly) and it is sometimes prescribed by dermatologists for clearing up acne. I didn't have a bad skin problem naman but I figured why not hit two birds with one stone? Plus sabi naman sa akin ng doc hiyang ito sa akin, pero for some women baka hindi daw. Also, they say weight-gain is also associated with the pill pero when I gained a lot of weight recently I asked my doc if it was because of the pill and he said he was kinda monitoring naman my progress and I probably only gained a couple of pounds from it the rest was MY fault :p . Also, you shouldn't just start taking pills without consulting a doctor first. I have a friend who has a strong history of breast cancer in her family and she has already had non-cancerous cysts removed from her breast and she is definitely NOT a candidate for the pill kasi the pills are essentially hormones and they may affect the formation of cysts and cancer. I also had a couple of friends who had hormone problems but went ahead and took the pill without the doc's advice and it had adverse effects on them.

Alam ko diyan sa Pilipinas madali lang bumili ng prescription drugs kasi when I was there last month on vacation I didn't have a reseta with me and I didn't have time to visit my old ob-gyne so I went to Mercury and they just sold it to me (the Diane 35). Here in Canada they wouldn't even sell it to me unless it had already been prescribed to me by a doctor in my province, they won't even honor out-of-province prescriptions. Funny nga eh at one Mercury branch they made me sign some kind of clearance form stating that I promised to bring in a reseta at a later date and that they would be spared if anything bad happened to me because of the medication. They didn't even ask for my phone number for the follow-up to my reseta. Hello! Don't get any ideas from that, in fact, you should be concerned. Only your doctor knows best, sometimes we are the last to know what is going on with our bodies.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    pinkmoon: All the local ob-gyne practitioners I know are also firm about getting Pap smears done before they start patients on any kind of hormones, so I don't think what holds true for your old ob-gyne also holds true to all the other ob-gynes here naman. :) Pills with a high estrogen content (>;50 mcg) increase your risk of developing thrombus, which may dislodge and cause strokes, deep vein thrombosis, heart attacks, or pulmonary embolism. The higher the estrogen content, the higher the risk of complications. Smoking does significantly increase your risk of complications, so it's better if you stop smoking (or just stop using the pill), and have regular BP monitoring, blood lipid profiles, and mammography done.
  • pinkmoonpinkmoon parker poser PExer
    Sorry Doc Ira a bit of miscommunication. I quit smoking over a year and a half ago but I was asking about the effects of secondhand smoke on someone taking oral contraceptives if any. Pero thanks na rin for answering my questions!
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Secondhand smoke is about as bad as smoking firsthand.
  • Hi there!

My partner and I are thinking of using birth control pill to avoid unwanted pregnancy. Would anyone know some (effective) brands of pills in the Manila market today?

Has anyone used it before? How effective is it?

Doc Ira, on the science side, how effective is it? Is there known short- and long-term effect of these pills?

Thanks for the info :)
  • IraIra Member PExer
    I've prescribed them to friends, and all the brands I've prescribed for them are effective so far. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) have a theoretical failure rate of less than 0.5% if taken absolutely on schedule, and a typical failure rate of around 3%. Their primary mode of action is to suppress ovulation. They're usually started on either the 1st day or the 5th day of menstruation, then taken daily for 21 days, followed by 7 days either of placebos or no medication, done continuously. If you miss taking a pill at any time, 2 pills should be taken the next day.

Some benefits of taking OCPs (other than not getting pregnant, of course) would be lightening of menstrual flow, decrease or disappearance of dysmenorrhea, disappearance of existing functional ovarian cysts, and improvement of acne. Adverse effects of pills would be heart attacks, thromboembolic disease, stroke, an increased risk of cervical cancer, gallstones, headache, nausea, dizziness, spotting, among others. However, these symptoms are not that common anymore, since these are seen usually in high-dose, purely estrogen OCPs, and the ones available in the local market right now are estrogen-progestin mixtures.

If you and your partner decide to use OCPs, I'd strongly suggest that you bring her to see an ob-gyne first. It is very necessary for her to undergo a routine exam and PAP smear to see whether or not it is fine for her to take OCPs--if there is a problem seen in her P.E. and cervix's cell makeup, it may not be good for her to take pills, and the ob-gyne will give you several alternative contraception methods that would be safer for her.
  • I can't seem to understand the dosage. Does that mean she has to take 21 pills every month? When does the "7 days" come in?

Seeing a Ob-Gyn is not an option for us. First, we are still young and studying. Nakakahiyang pumunta sa doctor just for that.

Thanks a lot! :)
  • IraIra Member PExer
    The pill packages come in packs of either 21 or 30 pieces, and there are labels for each tablet from #1-#30. Depending on the brand, your partner will start taking #1 on either the 1st day or the 5th day. Even if there are 30 pieces, some of them are only placebo, since sometimes it's difficult to remember to restart taking the pills when there are "off pill" days.

As for seeing an ob-gyne, I don't see what the problem is. It's not safe for your partner to self-prescribe contraceptives, since, as you've already noted, it's a little difficult to comprehend the directions about taking it without one-on-one instructions and without a prior physical. And believe me, ob-gynes (or actually, almost all physicians) do not really care whether you're 14 years old or 41. They are not going to report you to your parents. It's part of work, and the work does not ask us to make judgement calls on moral/immoral behavior of patients. Ask for recommendations from older friends about young ob-gynes.
  • LeeYahGrlLeeYahGrl Girl Lurking PExer
    I'm just wondering... is Dianne 35 also used to cure acne? Or is just coincidental that it can cure acne too?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Hormones as treatment for acne is an accepted management of hormonally-induced acne. Some females get acne near the time of their menses because of a drop in their estrogen levels. Low-dose hormonal pills like Diane-35 serve to correct this fluctuation, by maintaining an estrogen level high enough to prevent the development of acne.
  • LeeYahGrlLeeYahGrl Girl Lurking PExer
    So it's possible that a dermatologist would actually prescribe Dianne 35 to keep acne away?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Yes, it is. It's commonly done, in fact.
  • thin_1thin_1 Member PExer
    my cousin got really fat when she started taking birth control pills...y does that happen?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Many studies have been done trying to decide if oral contraceptives cause weight gain. In theory they could, because estrogens may cause fluid retention (which occurs after a month of taking the pills), increased subcutaneous fat in the hips, thighs, and breasts (This type of weight gain is noted after several months on the pill), and increased appetite. This weight gain can be easily shed off thru a sensible diet, exercise, and lowering of the contraceptive dose. However, studies have either been equivocal or show no association between the pill and weight gain. About as many women lose weight as gain weight while taking the pill.
  • nash999nash999 Member PExer
    maam ira,

pede ako ask about IUD? ano ang action nun para prevent ang conception.. will it prevent the sperm cells to reach the eggs? o prevent ang implantation ng fertilized egg sa uterus..

confused..

• IraIra Member PExer
    No one knows exactly how IUDs work. The accepted theory is that it causes inflammation of the uterus, making it more difficult for sperm to enter and at the same time preventing implantation of an embryo. Current evidence does not support the belief that the IUD is an abortifacient -- i.e., it does not end an existing pregnancy. It's inserted during or right after menstruation, and its effectivity is from 1-10 years (usual, around 5 years).
  • aenimaaenima Member PExer
    what is d safest birth control pill available in d market? or the one with the least or negligible side effects?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    The least side effects would be an estrogen-progesterone combination. Sorry, I don't prescribe nor recommend any brand of OCPs online. It's very important to personally see an ob-gyne to get a full physical (including a baseline PAP smear) and to discuss other contraceptive options (depending on your lifestyle) as well as to get proper instructions prior to starting artificial contraception.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file