Home PEx Sports NBA
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Report: K-Mart Wants Out of NJ

Reports: Martin wants out of N.J.; Blazers may be interested

Power forward Kenyon Martin is putting pressure on the New Jersey Nets for a maximum contract extension despite failing the team with the NBA championship on the line just months ago.

The New York Daily News reported that Martin broke off talks with the two-time defending Eastern Conference champions and asked to be traded after the Nets offered a six-year contract extension worth roughly $66 million.

The Oregonian reported that the Portland Trail Blazers were considering a multiplayer deal that would feature Rasheed Wallace going to New Jersey for Martin.

"I don't have any comment on any discussions that I have with (Nets president) Rod Thorn," Brian Dyke, Martin's agent, told Associated Press.

Martin, the No. 1 pick in the 2000 draft, is scheduled to be paid $5.1 million in the final year of his contract.

"Kenyon loves New Jersey, the Nets fans, his teammates and the staff," Dyke said. "This should be fairly obvious by his actions and his charitable works in the community. He has been a valuable part of the Nets' success and wants to feel secure about his future."

The maximum the Nets can give Martin is a six-year, $87 million extension.

Whether Martin deserves that much is debatable.

One of the league's top defensive players, Martin averaged 16.7 points and a team-high 8.3 rebounds in the regular season. He averaged 18.9 points and 9.4 rebounds in 20 postseason games, but he struggled in Games 5 and 6 of the Finals against San Antonio.

He scored a season-low four points on 2-of-7 shooting while playing with the flu in the Game 5 loss. He was 3-for-23 in Game 6 when the Spurs won the NBA title.

The Nets and Martin can negotiate an extension until Oct. 31.

The reported Nets-Trail Blazers deal would have Portland sending Wallace and Ruben Patterson to New Jersey for Martin and center Dikembe Mutombo.

"There have been some discussions, but there is not a trade on the table at this moment," Portland coach Maurice Cheeks told The Oregonian.

sportsline.com

Hmm, Im really surprised at K-Mart, if this report is has some truth to it. First, for all his talents, he is still not worth all that money. He still struggles offensively, and I still dont consider him one of the East's premiere frontcourt scorers. Not yet.

Wallace to NJ? Sounds nice coz Wallace can put that ball in the basket, but its up to J-Kidd to control his tempers. Well, everythings not final yet, so lets see....:)

Comments

• PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    The Nets shouldn't buy in to his bluff and take Portland's offer of Rasheed Wallace and Ruben Patterson. With Rasheed they have one of the best back-to-the-basket player in the league that can also shoot from the outside, while Patterson will provide some perimeter D. They only have to worry about their headcase reps, but Byron Scott can keep these guys in check.

As for Martin, he's overrating his market value too much. I mean, that's like Antoine Walker demanding for the max. Don't get me wrong, I think K-Mart is a good player but not good enough that he deserves a max salary. That payload deserves to be on the pockets of players that plays like an MVP - Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Elton Brand, the list goes on and on. Besides, K-Mart's rebounding numbers are low for a team that misses a lot of shots - not to mention that he plays day-in and day-out against low caliber East teams.

sheep.jpg
  • The issue here is all about money, but I think na hindi pa siya deserving to get that amount of money that he wants. So, kung itetrade nila si Martin to Portland and they get Wallace, they finally got a post-up guy who could light up 20 a night in any given night, unless his tempers explode.
  • Damn...so that "miraculous conversion" from thug to saint was just an act all along. It's the money.

Kenyon Martin and the Jailblazers: business as usual?
  • hmmm...looks like a contract ploy to me. Props to GM Thorn for not caving to his demands. K-Mart isn't really deserving to get the max, yet. Put him in the West and he'd look like an overrated player out there. Heck, he ain't even a top 5 PF out west: TD, KG, Dirk, CWebb, Sheed, Brand ---in no particular order. Not to mention Gasol, Nene and Amare catching up to that list. K-Mart is a great defender but his offensive skills are very limited. He still needs Jason Kidd to look good on offense, IMO.

june_dunk.gif
  • Tmac_1Tmac_1 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Kenyon Martin is becoming the next Allan Houston. Big money, no game. He should prove himself first before asking for the max. I mean, who would pay a guy that much eh choker naman sa playoffs! maybe he should make the all star team first, then tska sya humingi ng ganun.
  • kapal ng mukha ni K-Mart....di pa nga siya nakakascore ng 40+ pts. last season...eh lakingx2 pera na ang gusto niya...he hasn't even made it to the All-Star Team....

he even CHOKED on game 6 last Finals...that will not be forgotten

to Pandaemonaeon:
    ganun ka ba kabilib kay Scott??...OPEN YOUR EYES! HE'S NOT THE COACH THAT YOU THOUGHT HIM TO BE...the brains is not him...he's EDDIE JORDAN

I have visions of Kidd and Wallace "punching the hell of each other" in practice!!!
  • I really doubt if such a trade is really being worked out.

The Nets don't want to break chemistry and I don't see the need for Ruben Patterson. The Nets are loaded at the SF/SG position with Richard Jefferson, Kerry Kittles, Lucious Harris, Rodney Rogers, Brian Scalabrine, Tamar Slay and rookie Zoran Planinic. And the Nets still need Mutombo if ever they face Shaq or Tim Duncan again in the Finals. As for the post presence Rasheed Wallace brings, the Nets have already got Alonzo Mourning to fill that spot. Although Zo's health remains a question mark.

If K-Mart wants the max, he'll have to test the free agent market after next season. There's no point in giving him the max right now when management can wait till next year. K-Mart's gonna be a restricted free agent anyway. In the meantime, K-Mart's got to work on his jumpshot and Coach Byron Scott should do more hands-on coaching and help him out.
  • K Mart does not deserve max and i don't think any team is willing to give him. he is not a franchise player and obviously he does not have enough game to be one. he is above average player at best.
  • K-Mart is a fool to think that someone will give him the MAX.... is he crazy or what???? :confused: he has yet to be an all-star for the EAST that is week in that position and he thinks he deserves the MAX???? :bash:

trade him and show him that he is not the reason why the NETS are suddenly a power house in the NBA.... dumbass!!!!

k!xT3r!!!
    :hiphop:
  • Let's me see my top 12 power forward today

1. Duncan
    2. Garnett
    3. Webber
    4. Nowitzki
    5. Wallace
    6. J. O' Neal
    7. K. Malone
    8. Ben Wallace
    9.Elton Brand
    10Amare Stoudamire
    11. Shareef Abdul Rahim
    12. Pau Gasol

And not to say he has better potential than Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown and Zach Randolph.