Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

internal exam

do i need to undergo an IE if i already had a transrectal ultrasound? i haven't had sexual contact, thus the gyne requested for a transrectal ultrasound. but the next gyne i consulted for the analysis of my ultrasound wanted me to undergo IE, which i refused.

Comments

• IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    It depends on what you're being worked up for. If your ob-gyne suggested that you undergo an internal exam just for a general checkup, then you don't have to. However, since you were asked to undergo a transrectal exam, then I assume you have a more serious problem than just a regular checkup, and that your transrectal exam results did not give a diagnosis with 100% certainty. Ob-gynes generally do not want to do an IE on virgins (it just sets them up for a lawsuit), and only in cases when there is really a need to will they suggest it. It's your right to refuse an IE. However, if the only reason why you do not want to undergo an IE is because you want to keep your hymen intact, you should maybe think about which is more important for you--your health or your hymen. It's really for you to decide.
  • it was just scary and the thought of being poked around doesn't appeal to me. but i know, my health should always come first. thanks!
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    You're welcome. Relax. Internal exams are never ever pleasant to any woman, but your doctor will make you less uncomfortable, especially since she knows that you've never experienced an internal exam before.