Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

tortuous aorta

doc pls enlighten me...

my father recently had a chest-xray so we could find out the reason for his persistent coughing. the impression on the xray was he has a "torturous aorta". what does this mean? is it serious?

Comments

• IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    God, I just looooove the way PEx is practically zooming right now, ang bilis. :rolleyes:

A tortuous aorta almost always just means that the patient has hypertension in the absence of any alarming symptoms like loss of consciousness and severe chest pains in someone who's middle age (or older). While there are other conditions that may show as tortuous aorta (e.g. aortic insufficiency, aortic dissection, or Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome), I'd hedge my bet that your dad has hypertension rather than anything else based on the prevalence of this condition.
  • bilis ng sagot... thanks doc!
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    You're welcome.
  • Hi. Please help. I had my chest xray and the result - tortuous aorta. I have difficulty taking deep breath that's why i had my xray. I also have acid reflux and hypertensive. Im taking twynsta 40/5mg for my bp. Is my tortuous aorta something to do with my acid reflux and bp. Normal bp of 120/80 most of the time. Im 46 years old female. Thank you so much.
  • matulis wrote: »
    A tortuous aorta is not related with your acid reflux. It is just a finding that associated with aging and atherosclerosis. It usually doesn't cause any problem.

Thanks much.