Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

after carrying something heavy...

doc ira,

may sakit ba sa puso ang isang tao kapag medyo sumakit chest nya after carrying something heavy? ano kaya ang possible cause nito? thanks a million.

Comments

• IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    It would partly depend on what the characteristic of the chest pain is and the factors like how old the person is and if he has risk factors that make him prone to coronary heart disease, i.e., older age, smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and physical activity. Chest pain after lifting heavy objects may just be something as benign as pulled muscles and costochondritis to something severe like a heart attack.
  • jeevjeev PExer
    thanks doc!

na-feel kasi ng mother ko yung pain after the day she carried pails and pails of water. sa tingin ko nga it's the muscles. tapos medyo masakit din daw likod nya... she's mga 50+ years old, normal naman cholesterol level nya, no diabetes. pero i told her to have an appointment pa rin sa doc kasi at her age, it's safer to have a heart checkup na rin right?
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    If your mom is 50+, and especially if she's menopausal, she should already get a baseline cardiac checkup even if she doesn't feel anything just to rule out any cardiovascular condition.
  • talipandas9talipandas9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What's a baseline cardiac checkup? Is this similar to the tests done for a cardiac clearance prior to a surgical procedure? How is it performed? Is it invasive or non-invasive?

I'm also experiencing some pain sometimes when I carry heavy objects. Sheesh. . now I'm sort of worried too to think that I'm only in my 30s.
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    In the Philippine setting, a cardiac clearance requires a resting ECG, a chest xray, and blood chemistry studies plus a complete history and physical by an internist or a cardiologist to check for risk factors that may cause complications intra- or post-op. These tests are all non-invasive. It is very similar, although not the same as a baseline checkup. A better term I should have used is "screening".

However, you can request for a cardiac checkup c/o your physician, and depending on what risk factors you have, your physician will ask whatever needs to be done--from something as benign as a resting ECG and chest xray to an angiography in the most extreme of cases.