FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Thumbsucking

ChiQuiChiQui Member PExer
My baby's three months old and her mouth and her fingers are such a huge fascination to her. However, she also has started thumbsucking. Any suggestions on how I can stop this?

Comments

• CraZyInLuVCraZyInLuV Member PExer
    i've read somewhere (www.babycenter.com i think) that when babies feel uncomfortable or nervous, they thumbsuck. it's their way of comforting themselves.
    slowly try to reassure the baby of your presence, and gently remove the thumb from her/his mouth.
  • Kaboom!Kaboom! Administrator PExer
    Try a pacifier. It worked for our son.

Peace.
  • JdelaCruzJdelaCruz Place Avatar Here PExer
    Why is there a need to stop it? Is thumbsucking harmful to a baby in any way?
  • jobenjoben Member PExer
    there could be as many opinions on this as there are doctors and grandparents :))

in our case, we share the opinion of my son's pedia to simply allow them to outgrow it. *Forcing* the issue could do more damage than good. Their mouth is their only way of learning about the world around them at this stage. Also, it comforts them. Taking it away will not do any good. Letting them suck their thumbs will do no harm. Some opinion on this is that it will interfere with the proper development of their teeth. At a certain age, it has to stop.

My son had this habit since infancy till he was about 3 years old. We just kept on encouraging him to stop but never forcing. One day he just decided to stop. :)

Now, at 5 years old, he is into nail biting. :(

Our guess is he is coping with School. Hopefully, constant reminder would still work.
  • dudelishdudelish squeak. PExer
    when i was a kid, my parents rubbed siling labuyo on my thumb when i was sleeping. those bas+ards! hehehe...

anyway, after that, i stopped sucking my thumb. it's okay if kids suck their thumbs, but you might want to have them stop when the rest of their friends stop sucking thumbs.

also, keep your kids' hands clean while he's in that stage. it's a force of habit and usually they wouldn't know that their thumb is in their mouth, so if they just had their dog lick their hands.... ew.
  • BuDwEiSeR#8BuDwEiSeR#8 DaleEarnhardtJr:Born2Race PExer
    :imu: I think there's no need to worry about that,mas safe pa nga compare sa pacifier kasi rubber yung paci di bah?so ok lang iyon,normal lang naman sa kanila iyon eh,although yung anak ko hindi sya dumaan sa stage na yan.

dudelishvery violent naman ng parents mo for using labuyo,pwede rin naman kahit black pepper or ginger root,wawa ka naman :wink:
    budweiser1.gif
  • SkaRLaSkaRLa Member PExer
    I was also a thumbsucker when I was young and found it hard to kick the habit. Which is why up to now I have scars on both thumbs. My parents tried everything from putting Vicks, nail polish, sili, etc. - to no avail! I guess I just outgrew it.
  • Fairy_nd_meadowFairy_nd_meadow Member PExer
    You won't believe this but my daughter thumbsucked until she was in the 3rd grade. What made her stop was when we took her to the dentist and the dentist said that she if she continues to thumbsuck, her teeth may get misaligned. I talked to her about it and she never thumbsucked after that.
  • norielnoriel pragmatist PExer
    Originally posted by JdelaCruz
    Why is there a need to stop it? Is thumbsucking harmful to a baby in any way?

Unhygeinic.

On the use of tabasco to trick two year old girl into stopping her thumbsucking and her love for sweets, we found out that didn't work either. She was/is fond of spicy hot stuff just like his dad.

:p
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator ✭✭✭
    While the baby is young, thumb sucking is normal. If the habit persists till the kid is 12 or 13 years old, it will prevent his or her upper front teeth from growing out properly. A space will be found between the upper and lower front teeth, hence the term "open bite".

Persistent thumbsucking could lead to mouthbreathing later on, which could lead to drying of the mouth, stagnation of food debris and eventually tooth decay.
  • Mickey2000Mickey2000 TheFoodBlogger ✭✭✭
    you just need to lookout for something, there's a tendency lalo na kapag baby, they have no idea that it is their own hand , na cho choke sila,so yun lang babantayan mo,kasi kahit na cho choke na nila sarili nila, hindi nila alam tanggalin yung fingers nila sa bibig.
  • dior_addictdior_addict Member PExer
    i have a 4 and a half year old son JASON and he still sucks his thumb while he's sleeping. I talked to him many times about it but it seems like he just cant stop doing it so before he goes to bed i make sure his thumb is really clean.

I know that thumbsucking will affect the growth of his teeth, other than that may kalyo na siya sa thumb but i guess he'll stop it soon. Sometimes when i get up to check him at night di ko na siya nakikitang nag ta thumbsuck palagi, very seldom na nya itong ginagawa. Sana nga ay tuluyan na syang mag stop.

:)
    Good day dior_addict.

Hopefully your child will outgrow the habit. If he doesn't, please bring him to your dentist.

A Pedodontist or a Pediatric dentist is a dentist who specializes in treating the teeth of children and young adults.

If your son's habit persists after the age of 6 or 7, you may want to bring your child to an Orthodontist, a dentist who specializes in fixing crooked teeth.
  • glenchuyglenchuy metrosexual shopaholic PExer
    my kids are 3 and 2 respectively, they thumbsuck like crazy, they suck everywhere and anytime. my 3 year old daughter has callouses on her left thumb bigger than my callouses on my left toe (i'm male) i can't get her to stop.

chile's don't work, she just sucks them (i have no idea how she does that) i've tried putting band aids on, and since she's a big girl she removes them quite easily. our dentist warns me that she's going to have badly formed teeth if she doesn't stop, but i can't do anything, if i scold her, she just calls her grandparents and i get more scolding than her. sigh, doctors say that it's a passing phase, but i'm losing my patience fast, it's just unsanitary and unhygenic to suck fingers. i didn't suck my thumb when i was a kid, i wonder if it's hereditary.
    It's not hereditary.

At a very young age, thumb sucking is normal.

If it persist till the child is 6 to 7 years old, an appliance called a TONGUE CRIB can be placed by either a Pediatric dentist/Pedodontist or an Orthodontist. This appliance is cemented and will serve as a hindrance, preventing the child from putting the thumb into his or her mouth.
  • sakura7_15sakura7_15 Member PExer
    Thumb sucking is normal. It has been proven that those who did not thumb suck smoked in their teens.

It's the baby's way of saying something to you like he's afraid or hungry.

Do not result to pacifier because it will ruin your baby's teeth.
  • blue23mktiblue23mkti Member PExer
    wala kayo sa kapatid ko. she's already in 4th year college and she still have't outgrown thumbsucking! im dead serious.

but she does it naman sa bahay lang namin. syempre kakahiya pag sa school.

ewan ko. sa amin parang ordinaryo na lang pag nakikita namin sya. although paminsan minsan, tinatnaggal ko. pero nagagalit naman sya. medyo childish pa kse ang pag iisip.
  • advancementadvancement Banned by Admin PExer
    People in the province have this brilliant idea of smearing small amounts of pepper on the baby's thumb. This way, he will avoid sucking it (even when there is no pepper) after his tongue gets "burned" a few times. Just be watchful that he doesn't rub his eyes the first few times.
  • marthynamarthyna Member PExer
    i think joben very well explained it.

anyway, your baby will outgrown it.my eldest used to thumbsuck too (till she already had kalyo). actually, hindi thumbsucking ang ginagawa n'ya, fingers sucking. she used to suck her 2 index fingers... and that only stopped when she turned 5.
  • nuper17nuper17 Member PExer
    Help guys, is there anyone here how to prevent my 1 yr old baby to stop her habit of tumb sucking? Nagkaroon na sya tuloy ng kalyo sa hinlalaki nya....any help will be appreciated...thanks :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file