Home PEx Hobbies Music and Radio

Alice Peacock

how did I first hear about her? Well, I got a newsletter saying that she has a song called "Bliss" that features John Mayer (oh come on bear with me). So, I checked it out. "Bliss" is a great song, she really didn't even need Mayer (who was her back up vocals :D ), that song stands on its own.

So I checked out her website : www.alicepeacock.com and was happy to find out that you can actually listen to ALL of her songs from her first ever self titled album. I had been listening to it for months until I finally bought myself a copy of her album back in March (or was it April? ).

What can I say about her album? Well, maybe some of you might be reminded of Sheryl Crow when you first hear her voice, but she deserves a second listen, and a third and so on, eventually, you just might discover that she sounds like nobody but herself. She's very talented, she plays the guitar in her band (from my understanding) and the songs in her album are great - she'll take you on a "blissful" ..bitter sweet ride of lost loves, current flames, America's fantasy...even a journey to a the heart of an Alabama Boy

" I'll start with me" may sound a little preachy but hey, it grows on you.
" Some things get lost" just breaks my heart :)
" Boy in a backseat" reminds me of sweet puppy (barf inducing) love

and that hidden track that I don't even know what the title of it is, it's absolutely lovely, I want to call it Northen Star but I don't think that's the title.

she had just acquired another fan in me and I like to spread the word about her :)

But anyway, feel free to check her out here at her (beautiful) website www.alicepeacock.com. and tell us what you think.

thanks.

Comments

• her bio from Aware Records

( I've always been partial to Aware records artists) :) Reason being, these artists are genuinely in the industry because they want to share their talent and they love what they do, and not because they want to make money out of it.

Biography

For Aware/Columbia recording artist Alice Peacock, the key to creating great music is being real and truthful. "If you write from an honest place, good things will happen," she says. No kidding. On the strength of her sole self-released CD, Real Day, Peacock earned high critical acclaim, sold nearly 10,000 copies, established a national touring presence, and won herself a major label recording deal. And her amazing D.I.Y. success story is obviously just the beginning for Alice Peacock.

From the first notes of her self-titled Aware/Columbia debut, Alice Peacock, it's clear that something captivating and memorable is at work here. The music gathers influences from pop, rock and folk into something greater, and the songs speak to the listener with the sweet and smart voice of a dear friend. The sound is both modern and rooted in a rich musical past. And Alice's songs talk about the essential stuff of life - love and loss, struggle and triumph, inner thoughts and human existence - in a fashion that gets the listener singing along with melodies and choruses which feel like old favorites from the first listen.

Alice Peacock features such famed friends, she has made over the course of the recent past, as Indigo Girl Emily Saliers, Aware/Columbia labelmate John Mayer, singer-songwriter Kristen Hall, new folk icon John Gorka and drummer Charley Drayton (known for his work with Keith Richards, The Divinyls and The B-52's, among others). Yet the star of the show is clearly Alice and her songs. She has been compared by critics to such luminaries as Joni Mitchell, Sheryl Crow, Shawn Colvin, Rickie Lee Jones and Mary Chapin Carpenter, and reflects the influence of rockers like Neil Young and Tom Petty. But Alice Peacock is clearly her own woman with a trademark voice, style and song sensibility all her own.

Peacock's rapid rise to musical prominence began just a few years ago when she released her first album, Real Day, all on her own. But her musical background extends almost to the cradle, and her knack for creative communication is all but genetic. Raised in a family of six children in White Bear Lake, MN, even as a toddler she was so consumed by the music from her transistor radio her father dubbed her Radio Free Alice. As Peacock now recalls, "he said I looked like I was waiting for news" as she listened to her favorite Top 40 radio show. "It was my secret little thing. I knew all the words and would sing along with my favorite songs. That's how I learned how to harmonize and sing in different vocal styles and eventually develop a style of my own."

Music of all sorts played in the Peacock household: show tunes, folk music, old time string band and bluegrass; the family radio was usually tuned to the eclectic mix heard on public radio. One of Alice's older sisters was a fan of 1970s singer-songwriters and country-rock; the other dug the Stones and Led Zeppelin. "There's a part of me that is a little Robert Plant and a part that is a little bit Carole King," Alice says with a chuckle. Her parents were devout yet independently-minded Christians, so religious music also played its part in her artistic development, and as a teen Alice would drive to nearby St. Paul to participate in the African-American gospel services at Pilgrim Baptist Church. Her parents also both played guitar, and Alice's father had acted in regional theater in his native California while her mother was a film actress in Germany and the U.S. as a child, all of it an extension of a creative streak deep within Alice's family background. Her maternal grandmother, Gritta Albecht Gnass, was a cabaret composer and singer in pre-World War II Berlin, and was also the first female test car driver for Mercedes-Benz. Alice's grandfather, Fritz Gnass, rose from a workman's past as miner and dockhand to appear in Fritz Lang's monumental film M and become a member of Bertold Brecht's Berliner Ensemble before the Nazis sent him to a concentration camp for his radical activities.

Although Alice played piano and sang while growing up, she followed the family's dramatic bent at Lawrence University and studied theater. Yet she also audited a major's worth of music classes, sang with the school's jazz band, and was the lead singer of a local rock band. She spent her summers working at Wisconsin's American Folklore Theater, where she was mentored in her many artistic interests by the late Fred Alley, an actor and playwright whose off-Broadway musical of The Spitfire Grill won him a Sondheim Prize. Thanks to Alley, Peacock learned that singers and songwriters weren't just faraway folks you heard on records and the radio. "He put out his own record the summer after my freshman year in college," she remembers. "I thought, wow, look at that, I didn't know you could do that."

After graduating, Alice spent some time in Los Angeles, where she appeared in national TV commercials, and San Francisco, where she was a backup singer in the house band at Slim's, the famed showcase club owned by Boz Scaggs. She also finally picked up the guitar and, using open tunings she stumbled upon herself, began to write songs. "I said at a very young age that I didn't want to later look back and say, what if I had given it a shot? Music for me is my salvation as well as a gift. It is what has comforted me in my low times and kept me happy."

Looking for a place where she could hone her act and get in front of audiences, Alice chose Chicago, the central city of her Midwestern homeland. She started playing open mikes, studied guitar (including lessons at the legendary Old Town School of Folk Music from alternative country hero Robbie Fulks), and eventually formed a band. When she found voiceover work in commercials thanks to her singing abilities, it enabled her to quit her day jobs, start writing with such Nashville rock and roots songwriters as Tom Littlefield and Angelo, and eventually record Real Day.

Even before the album was officially released, Alice's obvious talent had a magical effect on listeners in pivotal places. She sent a demo CD to Amazon.com for its Advantage Program for independent acts and ended up one of Amazon's Top 10 Emerging Artists. Bruce Warren, program director of Philadelphia's influential public radio station WXPN, bought the CD from Amazon, and duly impressed, called Alice to advise her on how to release it professionally herself.

Real Day earned Alice raves not only from the local Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times, but also such national publications as Performing Songwriter and Dirty Linen as well as local papers across the country. She was picked up for booking by one of the premier agencies on the acoustic music circuit, Fleming-Tamulevich, and began almost two years of barnstorming singer-songwriter venues across American, opening for artists like John Gorka and Lucy Kaplansky. Gorka even took Peacock under his wing, having her join him onstage and becoming one of her most fervent supporters.

The success of her first album gave Alice the wherewithal to cut a second one in Minnesota with the production help of an old friend from her college days, Joel Sayles. She was set to release it again - with a rave review by Dave Hoekstra in the June 2002 issue of Playboy on the way - when an offer came that she couldn't refuse. Gregg Latterman of Chicago's Aware Records, the innovative company behind the rise of Train, Five For Fighting and John Mayer - had been following Peacock's rise, and picked up the disc for his Aware/Columbia imprint.

Ask Peacock if she feels blessed by such quick and considerable success in an age where it seems like almost everyone has their own CD on the market, and she doesn't shy away from the obvious. "I feel lucky and grateful," she enthuses. Yet she also knows that her hard work on both her craft and career helped enable her brilliance to shine through in a very crowded marketplace. "I do believe you have to be present to win, and work hard and follow through. And I've also had to have the courage to not be afraid of being successful."

But success as Alice defines it isn't merely jumping from do-it-yourself to a major label in the course of a single record. Nor is it earning press raves like "as bracing as a shot of good whiskey, stunning maiden effort, could well be the finest indie recording I've ever heard and enough attitude to single-handedly take on the Dixie Chicks at their own game."

Rather, it's about getting to the heart of what matters in her words and melodies, and then conveying what she discovers on record and stage in a manner that "not only wins the ears of listeners, but their hearts and minds as well. That's my whole journey: figuring out what's my truth and maybe writing about it. And if people can identify with it, then that's wonderful." And a listen to Alice Peacock the album should convince you how wonderful Alice Peacock, the artist and person, truly is.
  • it's joy
    it's ecstasy
    it's truth
    it's destiny
    and even know it's not enough
    to tell you how you make me feel
    there's only one word for this
    it's bliss

:walkman2:
  • she's a having a private show at Cafe Du Nord, SF on July 29 and the only way for me to have a chance at it is to enter my name to win tickets..

pick me pick me pick me!!! :D

• alpaalpa PExer
    hey reena... can i join you?:D

i'm using my imagination
    building a re-creation
    making it talk like you
    love me like you do
    you show up picture perfect and you shine
    even in my mind

• reena! thanks for recommending alice peacock a couple of months ago. i cant get enough of her ever since! unfortunately, her CDs not available here in manila. :(
  • oh yay! Hi Tonette hi Jaq thank you for posting in here :)

Tonette, now I have that song in my head :D

Jaq, I'm sure they'd release it soon :)

when I first heard Bliss on the radion 2 weeks ago, hahahahaha, I flipped out. I know, it's pathetic. But as soon as I heard the first few "sounds" of the song I turned up the volume and I kept saying " WOOHOO!! She's getting airtime!! She's on the radio!!!!!" hehehehehe :)

I also heard Bliss at Red Robin.

• alicesplash1.jpg

• alpaalpa PExer
    Hi Reena, Hi Jaq :wave:

Jaq, I'm also hoping they'd release her album here in manila. *crosses finger*

Reena, she's getting airtime? cool!:D pretty soon she'll hit manila.

I'll be the one
    Who makes you cry
    I'll be the first
    To say goodbye
    You'll look for me
    And I'll be gone
    I will be,
    I will be the one
  • hi Tonette I LOVE that song!

this song is a bit sappy but heavy with sentiments, it's irresistable (for me that is :D )
    and the piano playing fits perfectly to the mood of the song

some things get lost
    some things just disappear
    but not my love for you
    I'll keep that close and near
    some things just fade
    like scars and dreams
    I've got your heart
    right here with me

• alpaalpa PExer
    Originally posted by Triglyceride
    hi Tonette I LOVE that song!

this song is a bit sappy but heavy with sentiments, it's irresistable (for me that is :D )
    and the piano playing fits perfectly to the mood of the song

some things get lost
    some things just disappear
    but not my love for you
    I'll keep that close and near
    some things just fade
    like scars and dreams
    I've got your heart
    right here with me

i agree, the piano adds depth and mood to the song. i love the intro... it reminds me of sarah mclachlan.:)
    also, it's one of those songs were you don't actually listen to the lyrics. you focus more on the melody and feeling it gives you.
  • hi Tonette :wave: , if I remember correctly, according to Hazel, she gets radio airtime at 99.5 RT, she just don't know what song of hers they play. So not surprisingly, she has already made her way to our shores :walkman2:
  • uy seriously theyre playing her songs sa RT na? maybe i should pay more attention na.
  • hi Jaq. Yup, I wish I knew what song they are playing. Hazel said it's definitely not Bliss.

....you're my northern star
    that's what
    you are....

• alpaalpa PExer
    Really?!?!?!?! WOOHOO!!!!

I hardly listen to radio these days. But since AP is getting airtime, I might listen to RT on weekends. Heck! I might even request her songs. :D
    I'm also thinking of emailing her and request that she should release her album here in philippines. Meron kaseng Ask Alice sa message board dun sa website nya. :*)

Question: Does she have a music video?

EDIT: Sana imagination or i'll be the one yung narinig ni Hazel
  • hi Tonette :wave:

about her music video, I'm not so sure about that. But I don't know of any at the moment. And I think you should ask her, she'll be delighted I guarantee it!!! I've already registered :D

hey I'm not the one you're looking for
    I can tell you I'm so much more...

• alpaalpa PExer
    Originally posted by Triglyceride
    hi Tonette :wave:

about her music video, I'm not so sure about that. But I don't know of any at the moment. And I think you should ask her, she'll be delighted I guarantee it!!! I've already registered :D

hey I'm not the one you're looking for
    I can tell you I'm so much more...

i already did. title of my post is "a fan from philippines"... para buksan niya agad.
    she seems nice. lahat nung questions and suggestion ng fans nya sinasagot niya. can't wait for her reply. i'm such a geek! :*)
  • hey reena! just dropping by...:D

• hi PJ hi Tonette

TONETTE..OH MY GOSH, she responded to your question! Go check it out. WOOHOOOO!!! :bounce: la lang :D

geeks rule! :D
  • alpaalpa PExer
    REENA!!! SHE RESPONDED!!! WOW! I'M SO HAPPY!

no good news... pero at least interested siyang pumunta dito. woohoo!
  • uy seryoso? makapunta nga sa site niya.