Home PEx News and Tech Technology Today

Generic Assembled or Branded PC...

Generic PCs are good for the budget against those branded ones but, in terms of quality, definetly, the branded ones are the best.

What do you prefer?

Comments

• batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I don't think you would get much argument that the branded pcs are better mainly because quality control is a lot tighter. However, even among the different branded units, there are differences in quality - eg. Dell, IBM and HP being at the top and the rest being good but not quite as good. Even Gateway and Micron are a bit below these top three.
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    I would definitely go for the unbranded one. Given the speed by which computers get obsolete, I can't convince myself to shell out twice the price (sometimes even more) for the same specs for a computer, and having to do the same again two years from now, just to keep up with technology.
    But I would have to say that it depends on your computer buying habits, and your own personal computeing needs. If you need a system that will simply use for typing, spreadsheets, and a few simple presentations here and there, then I would go for a solid, branded pc that will last me a long time. You wouldn't need to upgrade it every so often. If you're a gamer though, or someone who needs the PC for extensive graphics work, then you might opt for the easily uprgadeable (easy on the pocket I mean) compatibles.
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    moving back into circulation.
  • I use a branded PC (IBM) and I can safely say that in 3 1/2 years of using it, I have had very, VERY few problems with it. In fact, the only problems I've ever had with it were the CD-ROM conking out last year (it was obsolete at 4x anyway, I was glad to replace it) and my new 8.4gb hard drive not being compatible with Windows 95.

I'm thinking of buying a new PC, so I was hoping looking into this thread could also give me some new insights. I use the PC mainly for Internet and games. Would a "chop-chop" PC of mix-and-match parts be a sensible buy in the long run, concerning problems and compatibilities of the hardware? Or should I go ahead and spend a small fortune from my hard-earned savings on a nice new branded package?

I'm tempted to strongly consider the cheaper generic PCs because the specs of the combined parts are really good (AND I get to choose a casing, keyboard and mouse that looks like an iMac's! Hehe.) However, I barely know anything about computer hardware, so....

What would you guys recommend?

Also, where is the best place to shop for generic assembled PCs? And where can I get a Dell computer?

[This message has been edited by exorsister (edited 01-04-2000).]
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    Although this may seem like a baised statement, my own personal favorite PC Merchant is Labworks. Understand that I have no ties with Labworks other than the fact that its owner has been very helpful to me over the past few months when I encountered problems with my PC.

The problem with generic PCs and buying parts and packages from companies who advertise in Buy and Sell and the like is that they use second rate equipment. Case in point, some of the motherboards sold by a particular merchant (I will withold the name) do not have AGP ports. That's crazy if you ask me because all of the next generation video cards use AGP slots! Sure, the price may have been cheap, but with equipment like that, sheesh!

When you do decide to buy generic PC products, make sure that the merchant is willing to walk you through the plus and minuses of every piece of equipment that will go into your PC. Also, remember that after sales service is as good as the actual
    pre-sales service.

Generic PCs are the way to go, for as long as you find a merchant willing to extend to you the proper service every customer deserves.

By the way, when you say that you use your pc to play games, what type of games do you play?
  • My own personal preference is also Labworks. I always used to buy branded PCs (IBM) but I have since swtiched to no-name PCs with quality parts since they provide the best value for my money. It allows you to put together the exact PC that you need (or want), you can specify certain barnds and models (such as the 3D-card, sound card, hard disk, etc.). A disadvantage with no-name PCs though is that you don't have a multi-billion dollar company to run to for support when something goes wrong, that's why you have to make sure that the company who sold you the no-name PC provides good service. I found that Labwaorks provides that, and they can really help you decide on the components to put in your PC since they're familiar with the developments in the industry.
  • Wow, two endorsements for Labworks! I just have two questions: 1) Where is Labworks located? and 2) Does "Lab Works" (the poster/member) own Labworks?

I often ask my foreign Internet friends about what good brands for PC parts are, and they recommend ABit for motherboards, Quantum for hard disk drives. etc. but they're not readily available, if at all, in the computer shops I inquire at. Would I be able to specify parts like those, do you think?
  • exorsister:

Wow, two endorsements for Labworks! I just have two questions: 1) Where is Labworks located? and 2) Does "Lab Works" (the poster/member) own Labworks?

---when we answer questions brought up in the forum, it's usually a combination of ideas from most of the people in the company.

I often ask my foreign Internet friends about what good brands for PC parts are, and they recommend ABit for motherboards, Quantum for hard disk drives. etc. but they're not readily available, if at all, in the computer shops I inquire at. Would I be able to specify parts like those, do you think?

---yes you may have those but we can give you more details thru: [email protected] don't hesitate to mail us and we'll answer you as quickly as we can...

• hi guys,

if you're considering to buy a name brand PC, make sure that it is not proprietary in nature, the kind that you can only buy parts replacement from the manufacturer. It can be costly when it's time for you to upgrade.

i agree that putting together your own generic PC is a better way to go. It gives you more control on what you do and don't have on it, a lot cheaper for the same specs that the pre-packaged PC's offer.

An interesting thing to note:

Intel made more motherboards than the next eight largest manufacaturers combined, with sales more than 30 million boards, worth more than $3.6 billion! Note that this figure does not include processors or chipsets- only the boards themselves. The boards end up in various system assembler brand PC's you and I buy (Gateway,Dell,Micron), meaning that most of us are now essensially purchasing Intel-manufacturred systems.....no matter who actually wielded the screwdriver.

RJ

:) Peace!

[This message has been edited by ~*~Arje~*~ (edited 01-10-2000).]
  • wow! great info ~*~Arje~*~!

[This message has been edited by Lab Works (edited 01-10-2000).]
  • Labworks, free plug for you!!!

Labworks is along C5 in Libis, inside the TaylorMade compound. Competitive deals and exemplary service, plus there's a GoodAh in which to eat while your PC is being fixed!

- Mikoid

• Thank you Lab Works. My pleasure.

RJ
  • I've bought two unbranded PCs over the past decade, where I chose branded parts to maintain quality and are still relatively cheap compared to branded ones. I rarely had problems with my older PC (other than my then 1GB Seagate crashing), but I'm pretty happy with the more up-to-date one I use now. :)
  • An assembled computer system, meaning you or someone else other than a brand name manufacturer put it together, doesn't necessarily mean it is the cheaper system. It depends on what parts you decide to put in it. If you want the best available sound cards, video cards, CPU and motherboard, memory, hard drives, DVD drives, speakers and everything else in the system you want to have, then it will definitely cost more.

I've assembled my own even though I can get one cheaper from a store. I've decided to go through this route because it gives me satisfaction to know that I can always change anything and it's a realization that I have gained knowledge by doing it more than the average guy.

Just like what ~*~Arje~*~ said, be careful about the proprietary brands because there are no way to upgrade them with common spare parts. If you already have one you'll end up better off just buying a whole new system rather than upgrading them with the manufacturers parts.

I'll give credit to the Brand name computers though as far as warranty and technical supports and quality control are concerned.

For me I'll stick with my own assembled system because I know how and what to do with them if any problem arises. I've only had a problem once and that was easily fixed by getting a new replacement modem. Even my softwares are running great it makes me wonder what all these complaints are about crashing.

"Knowledge is Power."

[This message has been edited by Fortes in Fide (edited 01-11-2000).]
  • as Arje was saying about Intel making those motherboards and you end up seeing them in other PCs, the term for that is called OEM. "Original Equipment Manufacturer" A lot of tech manufacturing companies do this as they make more money at the bottom line rather than selling their parts by themselves on retail. Essentially, even if for example Intel made the board, you'll see the company's name that they OEM'ed the board to.

I, myself would also go for non-brand name PCS because I can select the parts that I want and know exactly the specs for each one of them.

Actually, I don't suggest someone buying a PC this way when they don't really know what each parts specs are and it's compatibility with the other. Well, I mean.. even buying a branded PC, it would surely help to go with a friend who knows his/her stuff... YOU DON'T WANNA BE SUCKERED by a SALESPERSON..
  • I'm in computer sales, but I don't sucker customers into buying things. I'm not your pushy kind of salesman. Mabait na bata ako. :)

However, I can't talk for everyone in my company. Most of the time, the trick is not with what they tell you, but with what they don't. So ask them a lot of questions. Also, you will be very well off if you do research before you plunge into buying a pre-packaged system you don't know nothing about. Arm yourself with knowledge and no sales rep will be able to sucker you into anything..not even the kind that can sell ice to an eskimo.

Hi F in F! It's so nice to see you here. :) There's so many people in this board!

By the way guys, ako rin nga pala si ~*~Arje~*~

thanks.bye.peace!
  • generic pc's are the same as 'clone' or assembled pc's. these generic pc's are 'brand names' given by a computer shop that assembles PC's. A branded PC are branded in a way that they design their own cases and their interior architecture are designed according to what they have studied as superior ventilation cases. The other parts are just the same as the parts of an assembled PC. The difference between an assembled and a branded PC is that a branded PC's computer hardware are carefully selected with the following conditions:

1) Cost Reduction - results to poorer performance or quality (beneficial to the branded computer manufacturer/assembler)

2) Performance gain as compared to other branded PC's - this is benificial to customers who prefer branded PC's

Conclusion:
    In my own opinion, if you are an expert in computer hardware and are fully aware of the compatibility issues and their performance, you can create your own assembled PC that is better in performance and half the price of a branded PC.
  • For me the best thing to do is assemble your PC from scratch. There are a lot of stores now that sell "basic" hardwares like motherboards and processors and it's up to you to complete it. That means you get to choose you soundcard, videocard or 3dcard, hard disk, ram etc. It's really value for money and it usually works if you really know a lot about these stuff so maybe you can ask a friend's help or something. And because all your parts are "branded", it's really not correct to call it a generic PC, because it turns out that it's really better than those brand ones in terms of quality and price.
  • does labworks have a website where i can take a look at their products (and corresponding prices). for that matter, anybody out there know any local computer shop websites?
  • rl:

sorry we do not have a product website. just in case you need anything don't hesitate to mail us at: [email protected]