Parenting tips

Parents, please share any parenting tips you have.

Here's mine.

1. Talk to your child even while he/she is still in your womb. Have the baby listen to classical music.

2. To raise bilingual kids, talk to them in english and in tagalog (or whatever combination) right after they are born.

3. Kiss your baby in the forehead while he/she sleeps! :)

Comments

• IncXIncX The Hierophant PExer
    i'm not a parent but since this is such a lonely topic i'd add a few things:

* learn to be happy, because if you are a happy person, your child will learn that.

* find yourself... for how else can you raise another life when you yourself don't know what you want (and no, "wanting my children to be succesful" isn't counted)?

* never grow old, and i don't mean the youth formula here :)

* let them learn at least one musical instrument and two kinds of sports. music calms the soul, sports is of course healthy, and will teach the value of "with hard work, comes great rewards."

* talk to them about the shows they just wacthed ... this of course requires you to be interested in whatever they are watching ... remember "never grow old?" this will be put to play here. why should you do this? so you'll know that their view of life isn't distorted.

* smile! :D

-IncX
  • hoochhooch drowsy PExer
    respect your child's opinion and thoughts no matter how silly they may seem to you.
  • BuDwEiSeR#8BuDwEiSeR#8 DaleEarnhardtJr:Born2Race PExer
    yj3b.gif
    Originally posted by sakura7_15
    2. To raise bilingual kids, talk to them in english and in tagalog (or whatever combination) right after they are born.
    I read in some books that this is not advisable bec its confusing,it is much better to start when they are already talking or at least they are in school but not as early as a day old. :)

for tips:

Don't yell at them,it is demeaning and they will lose their self-confidence.

Praise your child in public,correct them in private.

Tell them everyday how much you love them,even if they do some not-so-good things.

Teach your child to obey you bec they respect you not bec they are afraid of you.

If they did something that is bad,tell them it is their hands that is bad and not him.
  • DomDom Global Observer PExer
    is it bad to force a 4 yr old boy to eat and yell at him at the same time?

for example, like this: "EAT NOW OR U WILL GO TO THE BASEMENT!" :rolleyes:
  • sakura7_15sakura7_15 Member PExer
    Originally posted by Dom
    is it bad to force a 4 yr old boy to eat and yell at him at the same time?

for example, like this: "EAT NOW OR U WILL GO TO THE BASEMENT!" :rolleyes:

I think you should explain to him why he has to eat or why you're mad at him. Baka ma-trauma naman yung kid mo kung pagagalitan mo na sha, tapos paupupuntahin mo pa sa basement.

anyway, i heard that strollers are not adviseable anymore...does anybody knnow why?
  • Mickey2000Mickey2000 TheFoodBlogger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    loveforthemouse.gif
    Originally posted by sakura7_15
    anyway, i heard that strollers are not adviseable anymore...does anybody know why?
    Kung naglalakad na rin naman yung anak mo, palakarin na lang, para daw maexercise,hindi yung lagi na lang naka-upo,ako nga naluma na lang yung stroller nya,kasi hindi na nagamit since natuto syang maglakad.:D.Tapos holding hands pa kami pag naglalakad.:)
  • sakura7_15sakura7_15 Member PExer
    BuDwEiSeR#8

dapat 1 language per caregiver. your hub can speak to your kid in english while your wife (dunno if you're a girl or a boy sowee!) can speak in tagalog. That won't confuse the kid because he/she will be able to associate the words with the person/caregiver. :)
  • ChiQuiChiQui Member PExer
    1. Not everything can be learned from parenting books.

2. Every day is a different day. Appreciate every little thing that happens between you and your child.

3. Treasure every moment with your child. They grow up so fast!
  • honeyangelhoneyangel Pasaway PExer
    :~( Treasure every moment with your child. They grow up so fast!

***Too bad i'm not with him to at least have those happy moments togehter. I'm working abroad and have to sacrifice for his future. I was not beside my baby to witness all the FIRST'S in his life, and am afraid he won't even bother to hug and kiss me when i go on vacation to be with him....sigh!***:depressed2:
  • BuDwEiSeR#8BuDwEiSeR#8 DaleEarnhardtJr:Born2Race PExer
    :imu: Spend time w/ them instead of spending money.

budweiser1.gif
  • aajaoaajao Moderator PEx Moderator
    Originally posted by honeyangel
    :~( Treasure every moment with your child. They grow up so fast!

***Too bad i'm not with him to at least have those happy moments togehter. I'm working abroad and have to sacrifice for his future. I was not beside my baby to witness all the FIRST'S in his life, and am afraid he won't even bother to hug and kiss me when i go on vacation to be with him....sigh!***:depressed2:

hey, don't be sad. you're a real hero to your child. ;)
    while it is normal that your child will be not so at ease with you at first, he will learn to develop the "son instinct" that bonds him to you. you have the same blood, anyway.
    just see to it that when you get your vacation and have the chance to be with him, alot more time with him. although pasalubongs for him can not be neglected, it is your presence, your quality time with him, and the bonding that you will have to develop that will have to count most. :)
  • foxxxxyfoxxxxy Uh Oh! PExer
    Parents shouldn't fight in front of their kids.
  • sodemntoughsodemntough Member PExer
    Never spank your child when you are angry.. Because you end up hurting your child more... If your child did something bad give yourself enough time to calm down.Pag feeling mo calm ka na then puede na kayo mag usap..
  • honeyangelhoneyangel Pasaway PExer
    Originally posted by aajao
    hey, don't be sad. you're a real hero to your child. ;)
    while it is normal that your child will be not so at ease with you at first, he will learn to develop the "son instinct" that bonds him to you. you have the same blood, anyway.
    just see to it that when you get your vacation and have the chance to be with him, alot more time with him. although pasalubongs for him can not be neglected, it is your presence, your quality time with him, and the bonding that you will have to develop that will have to count most. :)

Thanks aajao, at least i'm relieve now....:spinhalo:
  • hoselhosel Ex-GreenCard Holder PExer
    Originally posted by BuDwEiSeR#8
    :imu: Spend time w/ them instead of spending money.

budweiser1.gif

Right - quality time and make it fun!

:)
  • sodemntoughsodemntough Member PExer
    Being a parent can be a joy, but it's also a tough job. No parent is perfect. We all make mistakes. Even loving parents sometimes do things they don't mean to do, like slap a child or call a child a bad name. But if you think you're having trouble controlling yourself, get help so a pattern of abuse doesn't start.

There's not just one right way to raise children. And there's no such thing as a perfect parent--or a perfect child. But here are some guidelines to help your children grow up healthy and happy:

There's not just one right way to raise children. And there's no such thing as a perfect parent--or a perfect child. But here are some guidelines to help your children grow up healthy and happy:

Show your love. Every day, tell your children: "I love you. You're special to me." Give lots of hugs and kisses.

Listen when your children talk. Listening to your children tells them that you think they're important and that you're interested in what they have to say.

Make your children feel safe. Comfort them when they're scared. Show them you've taken steps to protect them.

Provide order in their lives. Keep a regular schedule of meals, naps and bedtimes. If you have to change the schedule, tell them about the changes ahead of time.

Praise your children. When your children learn something new or behave well, tell them you're proud of them.

Criticize the behavior, not the child. When your child makes a mistake, don't say, "You were bad." Instead, explain what the child did wrong. For example, say: "Running into the street without looking isn't safe." Then tell the child what to do instead: "First, look both ways for cars."

Be consistent. Your rules don't have to be the same ones other parents have, but they do need to be clear and consistent. (Consistent means the rules are the same all the time.)
  • advancementadvancement Banned by Admin PExer
    Say this prayer:

Build Me A Son

Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is a afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory.

Build me a son whose wishes will not take the place of deeds; a son who will know Thee-and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowelede.

Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for thoses who jail.

Build me a son whoses heart will be clear, whoses goal will be high, a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men, one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.

And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, and the meekness of true strength.

Then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur
  • MaireMaire Member PExer
    My son has light spots on his face. Does anyone know what causes this and how to treat it? I give him a multi vitamin every day and Ive been using moisturizer, but nothing is helping.
    I hope I posted this correctly. This is my first time on this thread.
    Thanks
  • advancementadvancement Banned by Admin PExer
    Try Tinactin.
  • MaireMaire Member PExer
    Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file