Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Fastfood restaurants are throwing away food

brownpaubrownpau PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
I didn't know this till recently, but I found that in McDonald's and other fastfood joints, they only keep the food in the service bin (or whatever you call it) for a certain number of minutes, after which, if no one has ordered it, it's disposed of. How it's disposed of, I don't know. They call it "quality control."

Those burgers they're throwing away are still viable. How much food are they deliberately wasting to maintain their standards of quality?

Comments

• you have a point there but i think the reasons why McDonald's or any other fastfood restaurants would do that are because one, like what you said, quality control, and two, social responsibility...

let's break down a little bit more...usually, any fastfood restaurant would demand the quality in their food...this is true for fastfood restaurants...but the problem of these kinds of restaurants is that they already prepare the food even before it is ordered...so what if no one orders, for example, a quarter pounder that has been cooked an hour before? would you still serve to your customers? no...so instead, you throw it away...

and that brings us to the second part...throwing away food that is still viable is wasteful...yet, these restaurants like Mcdonalds have a social responsibility to do...what would people think of these fastfood chains if they would give away those unordered food to other people for free...unfair diba? kung nangyari to, there would be people buying these food and in the back of their mind, they know that it will be free once no one orders that particular food...so it is better to dispose of these food and instead of giving it out for free...

remember that these restaurants are trying to keep a reputation and i guess they find this kind of method helpful
  • It's possible that the employees get to eat the food on their breaks. I joined McDonald's Kiddie Crew when I was younger and our "payment" was free food during breaks.

If they are in fact throwing the food out, it would be a better idea to donate the food to poor people. I think the majority of customers wouldn't have anything against that. McDonald's could probably get brownie points.
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Eina:
    If they are in fact throwing the food out, it would be a better idea to donate the food to poor people. I think the majority of customers wouldn't have anything against that. McDonald's could probably get brownie points.

The management of fast food chains are vehemently against donating the excess food they throw out at night to charity. Their reasoning is (and I agree), why would they give poor people food they deem as below their standards already? Just because they're poor doesn't mean daw that they deserve a poorer quality of food. They're willing to give the same quality of food they're giving to paying customers if they're asked, within bounds of reason, of course (syempre, they're a business enterprise. They're not running charity programs). They never really hid the fact that they do junk the food at night--but the leftover food gets grinded and goes to pig farms, I believe. Pinakakain sa mga alaga ng farmers.

[This message has been edited by Ira (edited 09-23-2000).]
  • brownpaubrownpau PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ira - That's good to know. I always thought they just tossed it in a furnace, but to know that they still use it for consumption by living entities helps me preserve my social conscience. They're helping farmers too. :)

When I asked at McDo why they don't give it to the destitute, they cited "security reasons." I understand that. Give a few kids some free burgers, and by closing time you'll have a whole colony of hungry people expecting handouts every night. That's more the job of a charity organization than a quality fastfood chain.