Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Suggestions For Good Non-fiction Books Please!!!

I think its about time I shifted to Non-fiction books.....

Any suggestions of the good reads?

Thanks

Comments

• For autobiography, I would recommend:

Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes and 'Tis : funny and heart-warming.
    Adeline Yen Mah's Falling Leaves : Cinderella type story. the first few chapters are quite boring but once you get past those few chapters.. ok na siya. *okay*
  • I personally think that the best non-fiction book ever has to be Michael Crichton's Travels.
  • How about Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson? Pretty intriguing read on one of the most enigmatic icons of the 20th century. I am sooo in love with Che! Hehehe. :D
  • what about....

48 Laws of POWER (concise edition)

...very :evil:
  • Katharine Graham's "Personal History" is a good read. :)
  • I also recommend Adeline Yen Mah's Falling Leaves. :)
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    it's a 54-volume compilation which, when ordered brand-new along with a full set of the encyclopaedia brittanica, will cost you at least 150,000. but you can by a set second-hand for as low as 20,000. the works are chronologically arranged from homer to freud. each writer has a separate volume. collectively, the set is know as "the great conversation". there is even a guide as to how the individual works should be read in parallel, much like a PhD course outline. suggested time to read all 54 volumes in synch: 10 years.

NB: i've barely finished reading four volumes.
  • "Selected Non-Fictions" by Jorge Luis Borges
  • Originally posted by harriene79
    For autobiography, I would recommend:

Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes and 'Tis : funny and heart-warming.
    Adeline Yen Mah's Falling Leaves : Cinderella type story. the first few chapters are quite boring but once you get past those few chapters.. ok na siya. *okay*

funny but i thought both these books were kinda sad and a bit of "heavy" reading! :) they're okay tho...
  • Alice Sebold's LUCKY.

I think this is where she based "Lovely Bones" which is also a good book.

In Lucky, she relates how she was raped and how she coped with it. Nicely written. Bittersweet.
  • Malika Oufkir's Stolen Lives.
    It's about a Moroccan family who was virtually imprisoned for most of their lives (20 years or so yata) when their father went against the powers of King Hassan.

Very touching. ;)