Home PEx Sports NBA

Best Player in the NBA?

JDSJDS PExer
So who is it? The most atheletic? Greatest impact overall on his team? Best skills? Best overall player? Best mindset? Best knowledge of the game? Best Defensive skills overall? Best offensive skills overall? Most explosive player? Greatest potential? There are lots of candidates vying for these positions. One can argue that Duncan is the best overall while another can say that he's a good player and only seems better because of what the people around him allow him to do. I think the great thing about MJ is that he is, or was all of the above at one point in his career. So who is it ppl? and defend the player you choose....

Comments

• nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    This question should be, who's the best player besides Duncan? Tim Duncan is by far the best player today.

Reasons:

-- His game is very mature in spite of being just an NBA Sophomore last year. Why? He spent four complete years in college honing his game. He makes good, smart decisions each time he is on the basketball court.

-- Tim is unstoppable. He can actually sink the 20 footer in addition to his amazing array of post moves. It all looks so easy when he's down on the low block.

-- Tim is an excellent defender. Everyone was saying how David Robinson was able to concentrate on defense last year, but Duncan actually had more blocks per game than the Admiral.

-- I can go on and on, but the most important thing about Duncan is that he plays to win. His emotionless expression on the court is a sign of his business as usual demeanor. This combination of character and talent makes Tim a truly exceptional player.

Runner Up:

Kevin Garnett

• best player now: tim duncan. i agree. he is damn good, doesn't care about all the hype. he just comes to the floor and does everything that has to be done to win.

best player ever: jordan may be it but personally, i still think that THE LARRY BIRD is THE one. for a white guy that can't jump and with that awful back... plus he's as slow as a center. but man! can he play! i feel that if bird were a black guy, he'd whip jordan's ***** ANYTIME. :) i mean, sure. jordan has all the highlites. but did he ever have a play as dramatic as the one bird did in that superfamous steal he had against detroit? inbound pass stolen plus an assist to DJ for the win, with less that 5 seconds to go? only bird could have pulled it off. so there... 'nuff said!
  • Didn't MJ do something similar? His last shot? Stole the ball, brought it all the way to the other side of the floor, made the jump shot over Russell for the championship? and before that didn't he make a layup against two defenders look easy to bring them just one down? I don't mean to take anything away from Bird he's one of my fav too, but i just think Jordan's Hype is justified. HOw bout this....for to judge the greatest ever.... If you can have five of the same player at their peek to make up a team. Who would have the best team? I think the one with five MJ's in it.
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Duncan is the best without a doubt. Nix makes a good point about KG being runner-up but in my mind, it is Jason Kidd.

The best of all time is without a doubt, MJ who is likewise a top competitor for greatest athlete of all time.
  • I think all of your comments are correct!....maybe not in this lifetime!excluding the great mj...i think karl "the MAILMAN" malone is the best player in the nba ever!!!He has been named league mvp twice (and still counting!), all-nba first team for 11 straight seasons (and still counting!), 3 straight all-defensive first team (also still counting), has career averages of more than 25 points, more than 10 rebounds, 5 assists, almost 2 steals and a block per game!He also has the most number of season scoring over 2,000 points (he did it in consecutive seasons!even mj couldnt do it), and he has 2 olympic gold medals. The only thing mj has over him are his rings but that isnt the case!I rest my case!!!
    STYX:

Basketball like any sport is about winning and not accumulating individual stats. If you look purely at stats, then the winner would be Wilt - 30 pts and 20 rebounds a game for his whole career of 14 years. If you look at the complete package, no one beats MJ - 6 rings and all those MVPs and scoring titles. If I were to name the 10 best NBA players ever, Karl wouldn't be among them since he didn't win. And that's despite playing with the all time career assists leader in John Stockton.
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    Even when it comes to individual awards, Jordan's list of achievements outpace that
    of Karl Malone's. Just check this list out and let me know if anyone can come up with a better one for Malone.

NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)
    Member of six NBA championship teams (1991-93, 1996-98)

Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991-92, 1996, 1998)

Six-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (1991-93, 1996-98)

Ten-time All-NBA First Team (1987-93, 1996-98)

All-NBA Second team (1985)

Nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team (1987-93, 1996-98)

NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)

NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)

NBA All-Rookie Team (1985)

Two-time IBM Award winner, for all-around contribution to team's success (1985, 1989)

Three-time NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)

Participated in 11 NBA All-Star Games (1985, 1987-1993, 1996-98), starting 10 times, and missed another due to injury

Holds the NBA All-Star Game career record for highest scoring average (21.3 ppg)

Recorded only triple-double in All-Star Game history, with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists, in the 1997 NBA All-Star Game in Cleveland

Won the Nestle Crunch Slam Dunk in 1987 and 1988, also participating in 1985

Passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to become the NBA's all-time leading playoff scorer (5,762 points) during the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals

Passed Dennis Johnson into fourth place on the NBA's all-time playoff assists list (1,006), in an 88-83 victory over the Indiana Pacers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 1997-98

Scored his 29,000th career point, posting a game-high 41 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists, in a 107-93 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on 4/3

Broke Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's NBA record by scoring in double-digits for the 788th consecutive game, scoring a game-high 33 points, against the Minnesota Timberwolves on 12/30/97

Scored a career-high 69 points in a 117-113 overtime win at Cleveland on 3/28/90

Chicago Bulls all-time leader in scoring (29,277 points), assists (5,012) and steals (2,306)

Holds the NBA record for most seasons leading league in scoring -- 10; highest points per game average (minimum 400 games or 10,000 points) -- 31.5; most seasons leading league in field goals made -- 10; and most seasons leading league in field goals attempted -- 10

Shares the NBA career record for most seasons with 2,000 or more points -- 11; and most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring --7 (1986-87 through 1992-93)

Holds single-game records for most free throws made in one half -- 20 (December 30, 1992, at Miami); and most free-throws attempted in one half -- 23 (December 30, 1992, at Miami)

Shares single-game records for most free throws made in one quarter -- 14 (December 30, 1992, at Miami); and most free-throws attempted in one quarter -- 16 (December 30, 1992, at Miami)

Holds the NBA Finals record for highest single-series scoring average -- 41.0 ppg (1993)

Holds NBA Finals record for most three-point field goals made -- 42; and most consecutive games with 20 or more points -- 35 (June 2, 1991-June 14, 1998)

Holds the NBA Finals single-game record for most points in one half -- 35 (June 3, 1992 vs. Portland)

Shares NBA Finals single-game records for most field goals made in one half -- 14; and most three-point field goals made in one half -- 6 (June 3, 1992, vs. Portland); most free throws made in one quarter -- 9 (June 11, 1997 vs. Utah); and most free throws attempted in one half -- 15 (June 4, 1997, vs. Utah)

Holds the NBA Playoffs record for most points -- 5,987; highest points-per-game average (minimum 25 games or 625 points) -- 33.4 ppg; most field goals attempted -- 4,497; most free throws made -- 1,463; most free throws attempted -- 1,766; and most steals -- 376

Scored a career playoff-high 63 points against the Boston Celtics on 4/20/86, setting an NBA record for most points in a playoff game

Holds single-game playoff records for most free throws made in one quarter -- 13; and most free throws attempted in one quarter -- 14 (May 21, 1991, vs. Detroit)

Shares single-game playoff records for most field goals made -- 24 (May 1, 1998, vs. Cleveland); most field goals attempted in one half -- 25 (May 1, 1988, vs. Cleveland); and most three-point field goals made in one half -- 6 (June 6, 1992, vs. Portland)

Recorded two playoff career triple-doubles, both against the New York Knicks (May 9, 1989 and June 2, 1993)

Notched 28th career triple-doubles, the last being a 30 point, 11 rebound and 10 assist effort against the Toronto Raptors on 4/14/97

Member of the gold-medal-winning U.S. Olympic team (1984, 1992)

As a freshman at the University of North Carolina, hit the game-winning shot in the 1982 NCAA Championship game

Named College Player of the Year by The Sporting News in both 1983 and 1984 and won the Naismith and Wooden Awards in 1984
  • OK fine, I think you guys are right about Tim Duncan but the runner up?... Alonzo Mourning
    ZO is the man.. he has the ability to do everything a center is expected to do with a jump shot.... he has the range. He can defend and his intensity and love for the game is unquestionable.
  • OK fine, I think you guys are right about Tim Duncan but the runner up?... Alonzo Mourning
    ZO is the man.. he has the ability to do everything a center is expected to do with a jump shot.... he has the range. He can defend and his intensity and love for the game is unquestionable.
  • Tim Duncan

Iverson, Garnett, Kidd, Carter.

• 1st Michael Jordan

2nd Tim Duncan

• i agree with batang uliran.

mj is the best... ever.

tim duncan may be the next dominating player in the league. but unlike jordan's rule of the basketball world, tim duncan's throne is shaky... lots of would-be kings are tugging on his robe.

watch out for jason kidd. this guy can be unstoppable.
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    best player of all time is MJ opcors!!1

PEro for now i think Payton is the best individual player around. But we all know that the game of basketball is a team game, this just means that duncan is just no a better cohesive team than gary payton. But for me, talent for talend, which is hard to compare because they play different position, gary is better than duncan.
  • I would think that the most tangible testament to duncan's being the best player in the NBA right now is the ring he has on his finger.

Sure, malone is right there, so is alonzo, iverson, kidd, and whoever else. But truth is, the true value of a player is how effective he can be to lead a team to championships. Why do you think MJ wasn't considered the best player in the NBA in his first seven years?

As to questions whether it WAS duncan who led the team to the championship, Robinson himself admitted that he has stepped back for duncan to lead the team.

Before anyone could claim the title, 'Best Player in the NBA', he's got to first be able to show his wares... and the best proof? JEWELRY. Championship Rings.
  • Here's something to ponder since I think Duncan is not pretty to watch.

If you put Kevin Garnett in the same position as duncan where he has a versatile center like Robinson that others have to contend with, wouldn't he produce similar results as Duncan, even better?

Tim Duncan cannot be stopped because most teams cannot afford to double on him or concentrate on him because of Robinson. If Garnett, Mourning, Weber, or any great inside force for that matter had the same luxury, they would also have the same success.

I grew up in Chicago so it's a no brainer as to who I think is the best ever.

Peace.
  • The fact that Robinson is present in the Spurs Lineup should not take away any credit to Duncan's talent. On the contrary, the presence of another good frontcourt player on the same team normally should bring one's numbers down.

Such isn't the case with Duncan. Even with Robinson there, his numbers are truly awe-inspiring.

Come to think of it... if Duncan were in the same situation as the likes of Garnett, he should be performing even better, as he will be the sole focus of the team, unlike the case in San Antonio.

As to his not being 'nice to watch,' one must learn to look beyond flashiness and hype to see Duncan's greatest assets. Tim Duncan's fundamentals are of the highest class, possessed by no other player in the league today. His instincts are hardly questionable, unlike many young players right now.

He won his team a championship in his second year in the NBA.

Can anyone else be branded a better player today?
    The great players make things look boring and Duncan is right there. His fundamentals are impeccable and he is patient and disciplined. His efficiency and "boring" style of play remind me of Kareem and we all know how great he was. There is no question in my mind I would take the workmanlike Duncan over the flashier Garnett anytime.
  • When it come to all around playing style,
    It's Kevin Garnett
    Heres how why:

He can take a jump shot

He can take a jump shot right at your face

He can take a three-pointer

He can take a three-pointer right at your face!

He can Dunk!

He can Dunk right at your face!

He is almost unstoppable!

Runner-up si Tim Duncan

But the best player ever is what your saying:
    hindi ko na kailangan sabihin

Peace :)
  • Si Shaquille O'Neal ang ngayon unstoppable!!
    MVP!
    MVP!
    MVP!
    MVP!
    MVP!
    Sya pala ang best ngayon!

runner-up KG
    unstoppable din!