Home PEx Sports The NCAA Tourney

Red Cub players

Does anybody know where the 6 star players of last years San Beda Red Cubs will play next year? Will any of the players play for the college team of San Beda or will they be transferring to the UAAP schools of Ateneo, LaSalle and UP?

According to rumors in Atenista.net, Escueta is a lock for Ateneo as a back-up point guard and the team needs to replace Benitez and Quimpo. He is suppose to be a natural fit at Ateneo being a former Atenista and is a younger cousin to Olsen and Nash Racela.

Casio is also a hot property. Is it UP or DLSU? Both teams need a shooting guard who can score from behind the 3 point line. Agbayani and Condevillamar are reliable scorer but not in the mold of Ritualo.

How about the big guys on the team like Arao and Braganza? The big guys of SBC were more polished and better players than the 3 heralded centers of Ateneo.

If all the rumors are to be believed, none of the top high school players of SBC will play for the college team. I will not be surprise if a couple of the players end up playing for one particular school. Several schools were apparently approached about taking the bulk of the team en masse.

Comments

• it is no suprise that the Big 3 (UP, Ateneo and La Salle) are once again in the hunt or prowl for a San Beda Red Cub . . . it is an accepted fact that a player with a Red Cub pedigree is a valuable asset to any college team . . . much like a blue chip stock in your porfolio !!! :teehee: . . . and for a team to have two or three of them in one season is a windfall !!! . . . even Ateneo, itself having a great basketball program of its own wants to have a Red Cub or two aside from the two they already have . . . La Salle may have realized the reason why we lost the championship, we lacked one very important ingredient in our team: a Red Cub . . . UP on its part will lose its prized Bedans due to graduation, the ones that made the Maroons a fighting team . . .

. . . but from i have read from GA.net some months back it seems like that DLSU is bent on acquiring this kid from JRU to replace Mike Cortez (maybe you guys from the NCAA can give us a name) . . . they even have the nerve to say that JRU will be our major source of talent and not San Beda . . . i mean, are those guys in our team serious ??? :confusing:

. . . from what i have gathered, many UAAP teams are bidding the services of those Cubs . . . the situation right now is very fluid and any of these players may end up in any team . . . and some Bedan alumni even are considering matching the offers of other schools . . . well, San Beda would be considered very lucky if some of those highly prized Cubs will decide to don the Red Lions jersey !!! *okay*

. . . just my two-cents worth !!! . . . PEACE !!!
  • Originally posted by greenberet

. . . but from i have read from GA.net some months back it seems like that DLSU is bent on acquiring this kid from JRU to replace Mike Cortez (maybe you guys from the NCAA can give us a name) . . . they even have the nerve to say that JRU will be our major source of talent and not San Beda . . . i mean, are those guys in our team serious ??? :confusing:

. . . from what i have gathered, many UAAP teams are bidding the services of those Cubs . . . the situation right now is very fluid and any of these players may end up in any team . . . and some Bedan alumni even are considering matching the offers of other schools . . . well, San Beda would be considered very lucky if some of those highly prized Cubs will decide to don the Red Lions jersey !!! *okay*

. . . just my two-cents worth !!! . . . PEACE !!!

The players from JRU that you are referring to are Mark Benitez and a player by the name of Gatchalian. Benitez was one of the centers for the Philippine Youth team and was suppose to suit up for LaSalle last year. He did not pass his DEC's exams after JRU supposedly refused to release the players credentials. He is completing high school somewhere else but passed the DEC's already. Gatchalian is a point guard for JRU.

Not only is LaSalle after the SBC players, they are also after the center of the Letran Squires, Peter Walsham. The team is suppose to have 7 to 9 new recruits, none of them from Zobel or LSGH and the recruiters are still waiting for the word on Chris Tiu of Xavier. Some are saying that this years recruiting class may be the best with at least 3 players 6'5" and over in Benitez, Walsham, Bono, Gatchalian at the point, a player or two from SBC and somebody from the South.
  • Originally posted by YFU'ER

The players from JRU that you are referring to are Mark Benitez and a player by the name of Gatchalian. Benitez was one of the centers for the Philippine Youth team and was suppose to suit up for LaSalle last year. He did not pass his DEC's exams after JRU supposedly refused to release the players credentials. He is completing high school somewhere else but passed the DEC's already. Gatchalian is a point guard for JRU.

Not only is LaSalle after the SBC players, they are also after the center of the Letran Squires, Peter Walsham. The team is suppose to have 7 to 9 new recruits, none of them from Zobel or LSGH and the recruiters are still waiting for the word on Chris Tiu of Xavier. Some are saying that this years recruiting class may be the best with at least 3 players 6'5" and over in Benitez, Walsham, Bono, Gatchalian at the point, a player or two from SBC and somebody from the South.

Hey !!! . . . thanx for the info pare !!! *okay*

. . . but im quite disappointed to know that the Green Archers wont take anybody from LSGH nor DLS-Z next season . . . i wish we would take at least one player coming out of Greenhills or Zobel every season . . . coz its a great source of pride among Lasallian high schools grads to know that one our own is playing for the DLSU . . . and i believe that there are talents in both schools that can make it to the Green Archers' roster every year !!! . . . PEACE !!!
  • Originally posted by greenberet

Hey !!! . . . thanx for the info pare !!! *okay*

. . . but im quite disappointed to know that the Green Archers wont take anybody from LSGH nor DLS-Z next season . . . i wish we would take at least one player coming out of Greenhills or Zobel every season . . . coz its a great source of pride among Lasallian high schools grads to know that one our own is playing for the DLSU . . . and i believe that there are talents in both schools that can make it to the Green Archers' roster every year !!! . . . PEACE !!!

Wishful thinking on the part of Zobel and LSGH alumni. The coaching staff and management of LaSalle basketball does not think there are any players from both schools who are good enough to make the team. There are good players but are they good enough to bump the recruits from other schools. I don't think so.

LSGH will have players in the pipeline but they are 2-4 years away from graduation. LSGH has belatedly made a push to upgrade the schools basketball program. SBC and Ateneo used to walk over the secondary teams of LSGH but for the past 2 years the school started to win its share of championship.

Let us wait and see if LSGH can be a source of players for LaSalle like AHS is to Ateneo and SBC to UP, LaSalle and Ateneo. Zobel on the other hand has big problems to surmount. The pool of students is just to small to compete against SBC or AHS unless they allow the girls to tryout for the team.

I am surprised that LaSalle is not able to bring players from the other LaSalle schools. Am I wrong to assume that Lipa, Bacolod and the schools in Mindanao can not produce players good enough to play for LaSalle. Even the other Ateneo schools contribute players to the UAAP albeit not to Ateneo in Rizada and Cutler from Ateneo de Davao who are players for FEU.

Current players produced by LSGH and Zobel on the team are Urra, Gavino and Vainio. Statistically speaking , the lone ex-Atenean in Manalo has performed better than the combined efforts of all 3 players.

Back to the topic. The following SBC red cubs are being hotly recruited by the big 3 schools; UP, LaSalle and Ateneo. They are
    Braganza, Arao, Baldos and Casio by LaSalle, Ateneo will sign Escueta and is after Arao or Agbayani. If Casio does not play for LaSalle, he'll play for UP.
  • I have watched many NCAA games last season and I noticed one LSGH player that is worth watching out for. He plays center, forward for the LSGH team. I think his name is Espiritu. He can easily out play Arao and Baldos of the Red Cubs. The problem is, he belongs to a team which didn't do very well. They don't recruit players from losing teams but a think he is worth DLSU's or any other college teams attention.
  • Originally posted by Googoogirl
    I have watched many NCAA games last season and I noticed one LSGH player that is worth watching out for. He plays center, forward for the LSGH team. I think his name is Espiritu. He can easily out play Arao and Baldos of the Red Cubs. The problem is, he belongs to a team which didn't do very well. They don't recruit players from losing teams but a think he is worth DLSU's or any other college teams attention.

If Espiritu is good, he will be recruited by other schools even if the LSGH team sucks. Look at Gavino and Vainio of LSGH and Urra of Zobel. Their team did not win the championship nor did they make the finals but they were recruited by a number of schools.

As far as outplaying Arao and Baldos, that may be hard to do. Look at the NCAA mythical 5 in the juniors, they are composed of SBC and Letran players. In the race for the juniors MVP, 6 of the top 10 players were on the SBC team. No wonder they won the championship and their players are being hightly sought by other teams to play in the UAAP.
  • Pablo Espiritu of LSGH was taken in as a member of the NCAA selection to be coached by Ato Badolato in the 6'0" and above league organized by FedEx president Bert Lina. Espiritu is sure to go to LaSalle for college as he is a relative of one of the managers of the team. He is set to join the archers' rookie camp although that does not guarantee an immediate spot in the team.
  • tsk tsk...tapos matitira na naman sa Red Lions mga leftovers who are not trained well...

sana naman maging loyal yung mga 6 players na ga-graduate from SBHS para lumakas ang Red Lions ulit...hope they'll follow the footsteps of Boybits Victoria, Carlos Loyzaga, Chito Loyzaga and the like