Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Table Manners and Etiquette

Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
How do you act in formal dinners? Do you follow appropriate table manners and etiquette? How do you react to those who breach the rules of formal dining?

For instance, you saw a guy who slit open and spread butter inside a dinner roll and ate it like a pandesal?

Comments

• Formal dining is often associated with the stiff upper class society. But at some point or another, we have to follow it. There will always be balls, proms, debuts, business seminars, formal lunches and dinners and so forth. Even if we don't agree, it reflects on a person's upbringing.

If I saw a person, eating a dinner roll like a pandesal, I'd think he has poor upbringing. Which is why I always make sure to look around when I am not sure about what am I about to do in the company of formal affairs so as to avoid such boo-boos. I wouldn't want to be the subject of humiliation on both my part and of my parents'. They would be the one at fault if I didn't show proper table manners. If I didn't show proper table manners at let's say a formal lunch with my bosses, it would be very embarassing on my part and my bosses would probably think I was uncouth and I might even embarass them in front of their colleagues. It would also reflect badly on the company.

Despite the fact the table manners may seem a hindrance to good eating, we need them. We wouldn't want to be branded as uncouth would we?

[This message has been edited by Akasha (edited 08-23-2000).]
  • Originally posted by Ice Burn:
    How do you act in formal dinners? Do you follow appropriate table manners and etiquette? How do you react to those who breach the rules of formal dining?

For instance, you saw a guy who slit open and spread butter inside a dinner roll and ate it like a pandesal?

I still do follow table manners.

But sometimes if I'm not in the mood, I have my own manners, which I make sure I won't offend anyone.

I don't criticize other people's manners unless if it's too much to take.
  • I'll eat and drink as I please without offending anybody. Magpakatotoo ka!!!!
  • Now that I have braces, I am advised to brush my teeth after every meal, regardless of whether I'm at home or out of the house. How about if I'm in a restaurant or in the ladies room of one of the malls, is it proper to brush my teeth there? I used to find it weird when I see people brushing their teeth in public, moreso in malls and restos. Is this proper?
  • I do too.
    I think I'm so much into it... Talk abt diff. spoons, forks, knives, when to use it, how to do this, how to do that, appropriate stance, distance to the table, etc...gee! I sometimes feel awkward though, cuz I might be doin in it excessively, I don't wanna irk people...

Sometimes, turn-off... but it's fine, not a grave offense.

*paw*
  • RöttenMindRöttenMind PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    we're force to follow, or else, we'll get a failing grade.. joke..
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yup, kaya nga manners eh....

act with the occassion..
  • No biggie.

It's so much better to be natural than to try too hard and miss out on the good company, conversatiom, food. I just arm myself with the basics-- where the napkin should go, which cutlery to use with which dish (Outside going in, right?), etc... Pero pag naging complicated na, kunyari oysters? I ask my mom, or waiter how to use the gadget that they lay in front of me! Or, gagayahin ko yung mga matatanda.

Oh, by the way, I eat my bread rolls using my fingers. So far, nobody seems to mind.

If u find that guy's way of eating his rolls offensive, how did u end up being in his company for dinner? hmmmm..... You know what they say, birds of the same feather.....?
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    just wondering...di ba ganun naman talaga?

eat your roll with your fingers? ganito...pumunit ng little na bread then dub a little butter if you want to then lamunin hanggang maubos ang roll nyo..ops ops ops isa lang ha! remember manners! ahahahhahahahahha

yeah just act natural kaya! dpat sa bahay pa lang eh praktisado na kayo para when your out in the jungle eh normal na ang kilos nyo sa paglamon ng pagkain! wekekekekkekekekek!
  • Originally posted by clawed_out
    just wondering...di ba ganun naman talaga?

eat your roll with your fingers? ganito...pumunit ng little na bread then dub a little butter if you want to then lamunin hanggang maubos ang roll nyo..ops ops ops isa lang ha! remember manners! ahahahhahahahahha

Ganun ba? Ewan. Basta for me it's the most normal way to finish my rolls!
    yeah just act natural kaya! dpat sa bahay pa lang eh praktisado na kayo para when your out in the jungle eh normal na ang kilos nyo sa paglamon ng pagkain! wekekekekkekekekek!

Ye. E, di kung hindi kayo manner-full sa bahay, e di make sure u go out to dinner only with unmanner-full peeps like urself! I'd never have dinner with snobs. What's the point, right?
  • Just don't talk when your mouth is full.

I once had a date who kept talking while eating. He was eating corn and carrots. You get the picture.

And then came dessert. Chocolate cake. He kept talking. And chewing. With his mouth open. You get the picture.

Needless to say, there was no second date.
  • i read somewhere (in an antiquated book on etiquette), that it's okay for girls to wipe their mouths on the table cloth but its not alright to blow their noses in it.

weird...
  • Most of what we call formal dining 'etiquette' are outdated Victorion / Colonial conventions that we have learned to relax substantially over the last few decades.

I personally believe in the "sit down and enjoy the food and the company" motto more than "sit tight and eat properly". I certainly wouldn't take offense on somebody if he couldn't tell a salad fork from a regular fork (I only learned the difference lately, as well).

However, it is always polite to at least try and act properly especially in really formal dinners (like, embassy dinners and such).

Generally, you use your utensils from the outside in (salad fork -> dinner fork -> etc.) Your bread plate is on your left, your water / wine glass is on your right.

When in doubt, let the other guests go first. It's always polite to let the dinner host start the dinner anyway. That way, you can discreetly observe the other guests and simply do as they do.

This is an especially useful tip when dining in non-European / American formal dinners -- such as Japanese, Chinese or other formal dinners.

Another tip: Never stick your chopsticks in the rice (standing). This looks like 'stabbing' the rice and is considered bad luck, not just rude. Instead, if there are no chopstick placeholders, simply lie your chopsticks down flat on the side of your plate or on your rice bowl.

(Yuck naman talaga to blow your nose at the table -- whether on the table cloth or in your hankie.)

Oh, and yeah... Modern etiquette dictates that if you must take a cellular phone call during a formal dinner, stand and leave the table. Or, at the very least, turn away or around and quietly tell your caller to call back -- you're in the middle of dinner.
  • i believe correct table manners must be practiced all the time, like the basics such as: don't make sounds like chewing your food; close your mouth while chewing your food; dont slurp the soup; dont put your spoon and fork hanging (nakatiwangwang) beside your plate; put your used spoon and fork together in the plate after using (hindi rin naka tiwangwang); dont talk when ur mouth is full... etc.....
    everytime we eat, even only at home, im always watchfull with the kids and so strict when it comes to table manners. i always tell them what is proper to do and what is not. sometimes, my son would ask me "ma, can i skip table manners today?" and i would say "no". They have to ask me first whether it is okay to use their hands while eating. Although I kept on telling/lecturing my kids on table manners, they still tend to forget what to do. well, afterall, they are still kids, but i hope that when they grow up, they should have internalized these proper table manners and someday, they would thank me for being strict about it.

my son would ask me why they have to follow or practice proper table manners. i tell them that when they grow up to be important people (a lawyer, a doctor, a governor or whatever) they would be attending formal dinners and functions and it would be a big shame for themselves if they are sitting on the presidential table and they are, let's say... slurping their soup or chewing with their mouths open.

im glad my mom taught me about proper table manners. but mind you, i also eat with my hands sometimes.. but when it comes to formal dinner, im confident with myself that i dont have to look around as to what to do first..
  • at times like this, i'd rather sit at home in front of the television, pigging out on pizza, potato chips, & beer... (or Smirnoff Mule... or SubZero...) :disgust:

well, OK, not entirely true! :D
  • What I'm usually a stickler for is putting elbows on the table which is a big no-no. Also, putting your leg up on the chair... NOPE!
  • yeah it should be followed kung formal dining. it pays to know what to do on such occasions. they can't be avoided. :D
  • While formal (and fine) dining has its many good points, it's primarily a social gathering and I do find it a drag on my fullest enjoyment of the food. Stiff company for the stiffs (which I have to play-act sometimes hehe)

I enjoy myself the most when I can eat with my hands (only if necessary although it gets real messy), let my hair down, chomp on those juicy morsels stuck to the ribs and joints, and doing so in the company of like-minded persons who enjoy the unbridled gustatory treats.
  • junjani23junjani23 PEx Rookie ⭐
    iinom muna ako ng sprite!!!
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Q1:: is it proper to ask for extra sauce if you were served with a dish with a limited amount of sauce? please refer to image below.

newmain.jpg

Q2: is proper to ask for an additional specific sauce if you were served with a fine dining dish with with three types of sauce? please refer to the image below.

photo-copy4.jpg

Q3: and, is it proper to ask for a certain brand of condiment if you were served a steak without any sauce or gravy from a fine dining restaurant?

TIA