Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Easy to cook food if you're living alone :)

Comments

• Yung adobo ang pinkamadaling lutuen saka yung mga prito tulad ng pritong itlog saka lahat ng prito
  • SINIGANG NA BABOY!

Oh my gosh that's one food I ultimately love. I always ask my Mom or any Filipino coming here to buy me the Sinigang mix .. yung pang-asim!

Here's a quick way to do it.

1- Buy pork ribs .. have it sliced for sinigang na. Always specify RIBS and tell them na hwag haluan ng batok kasi this part is matigas.
    2- Quart the whole piece of onion (without the skin of course) and drop it sa isang kalderong tubig (mga half of the kaldero would be okay.) Pigaan mo ng kamatis (mash it well with your hands hehe) then drop it din sa water. Throw in (not literally!) the ribs and let boil till tender. Remember to add some patis to the water.
    3- Boil the gabi with the skin on. When it is half-cooked, soak it in cold water to let it cool down then that's the only time you peel it so that your hands wont get itchy and all.
    4- Slice the sitaw .. about an inch or inch and a half would be okay.
    5-Drop in the gabi.
    6-Add the sitaw.
    7-Add in the kangkong leaves when sitaw is cooked.
    8- Enjoy with hot rice!
    5-
  • Originally posted by hangtime
    ...easy to cook food na masarap? i would like to avoid canned food as much as i can.
    Like you, I think that moving out & living all by yourself DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO LIVE ON MICROWAVE DINNERS & CANNED GOODS. So here's one idea...

Try pork chops w/ gravy --- my recipe. Rub the meat with Kikkoman Soy Sauce & various herbs: rosemary, thyme, & oregano. Sprinkle some salt & pepper plus a pinch of sugar. Pop in the oven or turbo broiler. Make sure there's a dripping pan beneath so you can catch all the juices.

When cooked to golden brown, take out the chops & the dripping pan, place the dripping pan with all the juices on the stove top, & add some flour & water to the mixture to make the gravy. You can also add some canned button mushrooms to it.

Bon appetit! :yum:
  • canned tuna... can opener lang and tapos...
    if your not into canned goods different cookings for your egg :D
  • simple fried chicken.

season the chicken with pepper and not too much salt.
    tapos lagyan mo ng kalamansi at patis, yung tama lang ha.
    and then leave it for about 15 minutes and then fry till golden brown.

meron rin nabibiling breading eh if you like breaded fried chicken, lagyan mo ng kalamansi ung chicken and then cover it with the breading. yung breading kasi andun na lahat ng seasoning.
  • Originally posted by roadworthyman
    ...lagyan mo ng kalamansi ung chicken and then cover it with the breading. yung breading kasi andun na lahat ng seasoning.
    Ako naman, I season the chicken parts with salt & pepper, pour freshly beaten eggs over them before I rub them with chicken breading, & then deep fry them. Yummy! :yum:
  • oo nga noh! kalimutan ko yon ah. pero kung ganon forget the calamansi. egg na lang mas masarap pa! minsan pag gusto mo ng garlic fried chicken add smashed,chopped garlic and leave for 15 minutes para ma absorb yung taste ng garlic.

try mo rin yung breading sa beef. i did that once, masarap pala! but before that put calamansi first tapos yung breading na. di ko alam lasa pag nilagyan mo ng egg eh.
  • Originally posted by blue_arden
    Jessica Zafra wrote some interesting ideas in one of her Twisted Series....

2) Grilled Sandwhich: wrap cheese sandwhich in aluminum foil... tapos plantsahin mo... lol... :) haven't really tried this one... katakot....

i won't do this. last time i did it, my shirts started to smell like peanut butter sandwiches!

anyway, adobo, sinigang may taste good but would you really wanna deal with the mess after preparing these? the pans, the knives, the chopping boards... when i was still alone in my flat- i survived with oven toastered spam (it's crispier that way), corn flakes, froot loops, every sandwich you can think of and take out food. i know how to cook but i didn't want to deal with so much mess after 2 months of "cooking".
  • Breaded porkchops and cheezy rice: I'll assume you already know how to cook porkchops. :D Just bread, fry and there ya go! Cheezy rice is yummy yummy. Fry cooked rice, mix in a couple of tablespoons of Cheez Whiz, just keep on mixing until all little rice bits are coated and there you go. *okay*
  • get some kalamansi, knorr seasoning, salt, pepper and chicken pieces. put them all togeher and marinate overnight. bake in a turbo or fry it. cucumber slices with vinegar, salt and pepper goes with the chicken well. enjoy!
  • Adobo... I'll assume u know how to cook adobo... everybody knows that... All things that are fried is easy to cook... u can just put salt and pepper and that's it... but if u still have time u can put more spices and marinate what u're going to cook, spices are dependent on ur taste... Like and pinaka madali, pritong baboy just marinate it sa toyo and then that's it... fry it.. and eat it.. very tasty... or beef steak... marinate it with toyo too and calamansi,, and that's it.. fry it too... just as simple as that... have fun and enjoy ur food... :)
  • Originally posted by roadworthyman
    try mo rin yung breading sa beef. i did that once, masarap pala! but before that put calamansi first tapos yung breading na. di ko alam lasa pag nilagyan mo ng egg eh.
    I've tried beef that was coated in egg before frying & it was good, but I still like plain tapa better.

I must try the chicken breading on beef, too --- ok 'yong idea mo, roadworthyman! *okay*
    Originally posted by shallow
    ...would you really wanna deal with the mess after preparing these? i didn't want to deal with so much mess after 2 months of "cooking".
    To save time & energy during my work days, I cook a lot of food on my days off. I'd make a lot of adobo, sinigang na baboy [w/o the veggies], kaldereta, etc.. I'd break them up into servings of two, put them in plastic food containers, & then freeze them. That way, when I get home after work I just have to heat them up in the microwave or on the stove top & add vegetables.

As for rice, I have a Tiger steamer/rice cooker. It's the type of rice cooker that you can keep plugged the entire day & your rice wouldn't dry up because it uses steam instead of direct heat to keep the rice warm preventing spoilage. I would cook about four cups of rice in the morning --- my roomie & I consume less than half for breakfast & then we finish off the rest when we get home for dinner.
  • Originally posted by egg
    As for rice, I have a Tiger steamer/rice cooker. It's the type of rice cooker that you can keep plugged the entire day & your rice wouldn't dry up because it uses steam instead of direct heat to keep the rice warm preventing spoilage. I would cook about four cups of rice in the morning --- my roomie & I consume less than half for breakfast & then we finish off the rest when we get home for dinner.

kelangan pala ganito binili naming rice cooker, laging naspoil rice namin kapag di nauubos e... doesnt it consume more electricity?!?!

adobo makes for lasting food nga, keep it with the oil lang nga, you'll have to do this when you have a little more time to cook :D
    and time to clean the dishes hhehe
  • Originally posted by mpxcz
    kelangan pala ganito binili naming rice cooker, laging naspoil rice namin kapag di nauubos e... doesnt it consume more electricity?!?!
    Yup, it's the best steamer/rice cooker I've ever had. *okay*

You know, I'm sure it does consume more electricity than the regular rice cooker because I keep it on most of the time; though I don't know how many kilowatts. To economize, I only keep it on at least nine hours a day & only on my work days because that's when I'm always on the go.

*The ten-cup Tiger steamer/rice cooker costs something like P3000++ last I checked at Western - Festival Supermall. There are other brands, but I can't seem to recall any of those I've come across.
  • GollumGollum PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    try checking out monterey. they have lots of packaged, ready to cook, marinated meats (beef/ chicken teriyaki, tapa, pork chops)...

i just want to share a few tricks i learned from friends. if you want to give your chops a japanese twist, try visiting your local japanese deli. buy lots of japanese crumbs. you can use it to coat pork and chicken. coat the meats in a plate of all-purpose flour, dip them in egg batter, and then coat them in a separate plate with the japanese crumbs. deep fry the poor things (in low heat kasi the crumbs tend to brown easily), and you now have pork/chicken tonkatsu. you can also use the crumbs for onion rings, shrimp (ala-tempura), and any food you want to coat. now as for the dip, ask me again in a few years. i still don't know to make the sauce for this. however, i can recommend mayonnaise mixed with a bit of wasabe. sarap!!!

also, there is this fried rice mix (parang thai/ indonesian yung brand) na i usually buy at gloris (food haven for single folks short on cash living alone in quezon city). you just saute the mix in oil. saute frozen mixed veggies in the sauteed mix. add some rice. then add 1 egg (am i starting to sound like the knorr commercial?) .

btw, the main thing it to stock up on condiments and spices. you can make all sorts of dishes with these. diskarte mo na lang kung ano timpla mo.
    sorry, double post... :D
  • Originally posted by Gollum
    i just want to share a few tricks i learned from friends. if you want to give your chops a japanese twist, try visiting your local japanese deli. buy lots of japanese crumbs. you can use it to coat pork and chicken...
    Gollum, this 'sounds' yummy... I'll try it. :redsmile:
    Originally posted by Gollum
    ...i can recommend mayonnaise mixed with a bit of wasabe. sarap!!!
    Btw, I found a recipe for that:

WASABE MAYO DIP

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. wasabi paste

Whisk together the mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, & wasabi paste. Blend well until sugar is dissolved.

Best served also with blanched asparagus.

*Makes 1/2 cup.
  • here's another recipe for chicken.

its for chicken fillet cut. season the chicken with salt and pepper. leave for a few minutes. then dip in slightly beaten egg. then put some bread crumbs. then fry it over low - medium heat. dont use oil ok. masmasarap pag butter ang gamit mo for shortening.
    Originally posted by egg

WASABE MAYO DIP

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. wasabi paste

Whisk together the mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, & wasabi paste. Blend well until sugar is dissolved.

Best served also with blanched asparagus.

*Makes 1/2 cup.

hey, thanks egg. i'll try this too, although what i did was just mayo, a little sugar and wasabe to taste. :D
  • Originally posted by Gollum
    hey, thanks egg. i'll try this too, although what i did was just mayo, a little sugar and wasabe to taste. :D
    You're welcome, Gollum. :redsmile:

I hope it turns out great with your Tonkatsu recipe.