FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

UP Technology Management Center (merged)

Ever heard of the Masters in Technology Management Program offered by the UP Technology Management Center? I'm planning to apply for admission in the program but I have yet to hear from those who'd have anything to say about it... Your inputs will be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Comments

• Introvert_SIntrovert_S Advocatus Diaboli PExer
    Hindi ba ito yung mukhang MBA pero, yun nga, more on "technology management"?
  • kidcharlemagnekidcharlemagne no day but today... PExer
    Hi Tom_Riddle, I finished my Masters' in Tech Management in 2000, and I'm glad you're seriously considering to enter the program :D So what to you want to know?

What distinguishes the study of technology management from, let's say, business management is that it takes on a more wholistic approach, a balanced scorecard so to speak, than an MBA program, which focuses a lot more on the bottom line.

You see, the study of tech management considers all the technology-related functions of an organization and how it is put into use to achieve the organization's objectives and bring about greater overall competitiveness. As such it covers a much wider range of factors, issues, and concerns because technology's impact is that deep and overreaching, more than we have ever previously thought.

What the MBA and MTM program do have in common, however, is the key message that the best decisions come from informed choices. That's why you will have a lot of reading, studying, and arguing to do when you get into the program, so be prepared. Writing, speaking and arguing skills will be put to the test in the program kaya masaya, hehehehe!

There's not a lot of mathematical computations that you will do here, although in my time it helped me a lot that I was knowledgable in statistics, linear programming, and accounting principles (financial and management). Huwag kang mag-alala, siguradong marami kang mahihingan ng tulong pag math ang pag-uusapan. Besides, minsan mo lang naman kakailanganin.

I do hope that you finally decide to enrol in the MTM program because you will profit tremendously from it. You will see the world from a broader perspective after you graduate. Good luck and best wishes!
  • pinkrosepinkrose Member PExer
    Teacher ko last sem sa Systems Analysis and Design yung director ng TMC ngayon, si Prof. Maria Sagrario Simbulan. Kung gusto mo magtanong sa kanya, I can give you her UP e-mail addy :redsmile:
  • prof_xprof_x Member PExer
    Originally posted by kidcharlemagne
    Hi Tom_Riddle, I finished my Masters' in Tech Management in 2000, and I'm glad you're seriously considering to enter the program :D So what to you want to know?

What distinguishes the study of technology management from, let's say, business management is that it takes on a more wholistic approach, a balanced scorecard so to speak, than an MBA program, which focuses a lot more on the bottom line.

You see, the study of tech management considers all the technology-related functions of an organization and how it is put into use to achieve the organization's objectives and bring about greater overall competitiveness. As such it covers a much wider range of factors, issues, and concerns because technology's impact is that deep and overreaching, more than we have ever previously thought.

What the MBA and MTM program do have in common, however, is the key message that the best decisions come from informed choices. That's why you will have a lot of reading, studying, and arguing to do when you get into the program, so be prepared. Writing, speaking and arguing skills will be put to the test in the program kaya masaya, hehehehe!

There's not a lot of mathematical computations that you will do here, although in my time it helped me a lot that I was knowledgable in statistics, linear programming, and accounting principles (financial and management). Huwag kang mag-alala, siguradong marami kang mahihingan ng tulong pag math ang pag-uusapan. Besides, minsan mo lang naman kakailanganin.

I do hope that you finally decide to enrol in the MTM program because you will profit tremendously from it. You will see the world from a broader perspective after you graduate. Good luck and best wishes!

Ka-batch mo pala si AMA VP for IT Paulo Paje!
    Originally posted by pinkrose
    Teacher ko last sem sa Systems Analysis and Design yung director ng TMC ngayon, si Prof. Maria Sagrario Simbulan. Kung gusto mo magtanong sa kanya, I can give you her UP e-mail addy :redsmile:

Systems Analysis and Design? Where? What course?
    prof_x: What's it to you? We're talking about TMC here. Anyway, UP shempre! :beam:
    Originally posted by pinkrose
    prof_x: What's it to you? We're talking about TMC here. Anyway, UP shempre! :beam:

Curious ako as to the level of the Systems Analysis and Design course that was taught there at TMC. Will ask one of my friends to get the course outline.
    Di naman sa TMC nagturo si Ma'am Simbulan eh. Sa CBA (College of Business Administration) sya nagturo, so malamang mas madali yung pagturo nya sa min ng Systems Analysis and Design kasi undergrad pa lang naman kami. Pero director din sya ng TMC; madalas namin sya pinupuntahan dun para sa consultation sa project.
  • Tom_RiddleTom_Riddle Member PExer
    Originally posted by kidcharlemagne

thanks for the info kidcharlemagne!

you seem really satisfied with this program... may i know how it has changed you/your career? in what field are you, by the way?

i am really, really, really considering MTM for my post grad now...

what i'm interested to know din sana is, would you advice that i take 9 units per sem although i'm working 7-5 mon to fri in a private R&D institution? what are the courses to watch out for? those electives which are "must takes"?

thanks!
  • kidcharlemagnekidcharlemagne no day but today... PExer
    Hi Tom, glad you've responded.

How's it helped me? A lot.

Una, you'll become tougher because the demands of grad studies are no laughing matter. The first two semesters will put you in a pressure cooker environment if you don't help yourself by reading and planning ahead, so be forewarned.

Ikalawa, you'll learn to put order in your daily life or else... you'll have to deal with the consequences. Maraming nag-drop out sa amin for their failure to strike a healthy balance between work, studies, social life, and family life. But once you do so, the battle's already half-won.

Ikatlo, you'll have new connections!!! Maximize it to your greatest advantage. Networking is the term, I believe...

Ikaapat, na promote ako!!! I now head the electronic publications unit of our agency, and I believe I wouldn't be in my present position had I not gone into grad school. **** pa kasi ako nun :D

Regarding your query, I can't really say because the answer will ultimately have to come from you. But if you're used to working under pressure with people of different persuasions, beating deadlines, and speaking before a group, walang problema.

Huwag mo nang isipin kung aling subjects ang dapat katakutan, if you know what I mean. There's no use worrying about those things we have no control over. Yakang-yaka mo yan!
  • ermanerman soo cute PExer
    hi!

im a tech management grad student from upd and im looking for an entrepreneur who, in anyway, has used technology and other innovations to improve on products and processes. ill be needing this for my case study. i would appreciate any help i can get, and who knows-- i can also provide some key learnings for your business too.

my e-mail address is [email protected] (please do send me an e-mail)

thanks!
  • Any views or comments about this program will be appreciated.

Thank you so much!
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PExer
    Surely there is a program brochure of some sort. What is this course's stated objective/mission?
  • Well it is for aspiring Technology Managers or Policy makers... I just want some info from people who've actually been there and taken the course or people who have at least interacted with those who did. :)
  • shnickyshnicky Extreme PExer
    I think UP has this kind of program. :)
  • yes Shnicky, it is UP's program... :)
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PExer
    wasn't it scrapped after posadas and an engineering prof got the sack?
  • Introvert_SIntrovert_S Advocatus Diaboli PExer
    nope. the program's still alive
  • uptowngirluptowngirl Moderator PExer
    For those interested:

Masters in Technology Management
  • uptowngirluptowngirl Moderator PExer
    Admission Exam was today. *sigh*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file