Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Where to buy those hard-to-find ingredients (or possible substitutes)

Comments

• @ff,

santi's has cajun seasoning. 180 ata ang isang container about the size of mc cormick's seasonings.
  • hi guys...do you have any idea what brand of pesto sauce is the best and where can i buy it? im cooking pesto pasta this christmas and i don't want to make my own pesto sauce..hehehe..tinatamad ako e..hope you could help me...thanks in advance ;)
  • ff_ff_ PEx Rookie ⭐
    michai, you're an angel! hehe okay I'll visit Santi's one of these days and hopefully may stocks sila. I really want to cook some cajun chicken fingers ala friday's :yum:
  • I've been wanting to make this fried chicken recipe as well as buttermilk biscuits. Sayang walang nabibiling ganiyan dito.
    GilmoreGal wrote:
    I havn't seen buttermilk, but i think i saw powdered buttermilk in Choclate lover's, what are you making? You can always substitute...

Taken fromhere
    Substitutions for Buttermilk
    These subs. are good for baking and batters - not for uncooked foods like dressings.
    For 1 cup buttermilk select one:
    1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • GilmoreGalGilmoreGal PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^ you can always make one, though i'm not sure if it would be the same, here's a recipe i found:

Buttermilk Biscuits
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F,.
    2. Sift dry ingredients together.
    3. Mix in shortening with pastry blender, fork, or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    4. Form a well in center of flour and pour buttermilk in.
    5. Mix flour into this, stirring and working until flour leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
    6. When it comes away from sides without sticking too bad, it's ready.
    7. Otherwise, work in a little more flour.
    8. Place dough on floured surface and knead 5-6 times.
    9. Do not knead too much or dough will become tough.
    10. Roll or pat out to about 1/2" thickness and cut with biscuit cutter or floured glass.
    11. Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet.
    12. Bake at 450 degrees F.
    13. for 8-12 minutes or until light golden.
    14. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
    15. Serve warm with sausage gravy or butter and preserves, if desired.
  • ff_ff_ PEx Rookie ⭐
    btw ganda02, you can try gourmet's or bravo's pesto sauce. these are available on most supermarkets (SM, Landmark, shopwise) or you can drop by at trattoria gourmet (or was it gourmet trattoria? ah basta may trattoria!) sa Shangri-la Mall.
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I've tried all sorts of ready-to-eat pesto; I still prefer mine. :D
  • hi illumina,

would you mind sharing your pesto recipe? :naughty: I have tried all sorts of recipes in the web and the final product tastes like grass .. :lol:
  • selphie87selphie87 PEx Rookie ⭐
    hello po! ^_^ nabuhay na naman po ako... umm... may itatanong lang po ako... kasi gusto namin ng bestfriend ko na gumawa ng "california maki"... at may nakita naman kami na recipe kung pano gawin... kaso hindi namin alam kung san makakabili nitong mga ingredients na ito... may alam po ba kayong market kung saan makakabili kami nito...:

Japanese rice
    cilantro/parsley
    rice wine vinegar
    nori sheets

yan po... sana po matulungan nyo po ako... salamat po! ^_^ :)
  • I was able to buy all the ingredients above sa Rustan's Supermarket.
    Really, all those are easy to find now...be it in a supermarket, or a specialty Japanese grocery store. If you're making California maki, I'm surprised you're not asking about the roe or wasabi.
    deevhud wrote:
    hi illumina,

would you mind sharing your pesto recipe? :naughty: I have tried all sorts of recipes in the web and the final product tastes like grass .. :lol:
    I know this is late.... But just add a lot of garlic to cancel the grassy taste. I think it has to do with the fresh basil leaves we get over in Manila. Tastes like that. :|

Would it be easier to make this thread sticky kaya? There also have been several threads before, just asking about where to buy this, where to buy that....
  • california maki with cilantro or parsley? is that for the decor? coz california maki doesnt have those. go to cartimar and you'll find specialty japanese stores that arent so expensive.

for the japanese rice... short grain rice would do... calrose is a good substitute.
  • does anyone know where to find yeast? preferably those sold in sachets or small packages? i see them sold in packages of 900g, meant for commercial baking. thanks!
    If you're looking for instant yeast, I think they've got Saf-Instant (450 g?) at Cook's Exchange. Keeps for about a year in your fridge. Little cans of dry yeast should be available at a good supermart. But go for the instant.
  • nina9702nina9702 PEx Rookie ⭐
    selphie87 wrote:
    hello po! ^_^ nabuhay na naman po ako... umm... may itatanong lang po ako... kasi gusto namin ng bestfriend ko na gumawa ng "california maki"... at may nakita naman kami na recipe kung pano gawin... kaso hindi namin alam kung san makakabili nitong mga ingredients na ito... may alam po ba kayong market kung saan makakabili kami nito...:

Japanese rice
    cilantro/parsley
    rice wine vinegar
    nori sheets

yan po... sana po matulungan nyo po ako... salamat po! ^_^ :)

hello! :) I found this website helpful when I tried making maki last Christmas: http://www.hub-uk.com/cooking/tipssushi.htm
    If you cannot find sushi vinegar, you can make your own. To make sushi vinegar, combine 1/3 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, and a dash of MSG (optional) in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir to dissolve everything and remove from heat.

The concoction doesn't smell appetizing while you're cooking it, but it makes the rice taste really good. Plus, it's cheap and easy to make ^_^

As an alternative to Japanese rice, you can use our local Sinandomeng. Instead of cooking it with a 1:1 ratio, cook 1 cup of sinandomeng rice with 4 cups of water. :)
  • I would like to try some recipes I found that calls for the following ingredients. Do you know where I can buy these locally? :confused:

* whole wheat flour
    * flaxseeds
    * whole wheat pastry flour
    * steel cut oatmeal ( has to be whole - not quick cooking or instant type)

Thanks!
  • whole wheat flour and flax seeds are available at healthy options just around the cashiers in rustan's makati.....they may also have the othjer two ingredients....
  • or you can also try Santi's Deli or Rustan's Supermarkets.

Santi's
    722-6274, 722-5441
    G/F Richbelt Terraces
    19 Annapolis St. Greenhills
    San Juan

844-1154
    WIC Bldg.
    7431 Yakal St. San Antonio Village
    Makati City

Try calling them to be sure.
  • ^ thank you!