Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Where to buy those hard-to-find ingredients (or possible substitutes)

Comments

• Originally posted by Mymnosene
    There's a deli in Rockwell that sells hard-to-find stuff. it's beside the tennis courts. :)

Yes, that's Santi's. They also have a branch along Timog, and maybe other places as well.

They have the parmigiano and prosciutto the other poster was looking for.
  • Has anyone encountered the elusive Crisco Shortening in supermarkets yet?

Nokie: Santi's has everything you listed down.
  • Originally posted by Mavi
    Has anyone encountered the elusive Crisco Shortening in supermarkets yet?

Rustans PowerPlant has it, in the 2nd to the last aisle on the right, in the back. It comes in a blue container.
  • Mas mahirap kung wala ka sa pinas, taos miss mo na mga pinoy food. Makaka luto ka man ng adobo, di sya ganon kasarap kasi walang lasa ang bawang sa ibang bansa.

My problem is Kalamansi and Pickle Relish. Di ako makapag bistek kasi wala kong mahanap na kalamansi dito sa Belfast. At yung pickles for the chicken dish, ang hirap hanapin, pero naka bili na ako eventually sa London. Yung kalamansi na lang talaga, bistek na bistek na ko!!!!
  • Unimart in greenhills has Crisco. The regular kind in the blue container as well as the butter flavor in the yellow container.
  • where can i find tamarind juice or how do i make this?

also, where can i buy peanut oil?
  • i think meron tamarind juice in flavours and spices resto (gosh, i am so out of circulation hindi ko na alam if buhay pa itong resto na ito!!! :*) ) or any thai resto that sells stuff. i think pwede din alternative ang knorr sampalok powder

cash and carry has peanut oil (at least last time i checked):rolleyes:
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Rustan's supermarkets also have parmigiano reggiano, prosciutto, and pancetta sometimes. Or delis like Almon Marina, Santi's....

And I've seen pine nuts at Healthy Options, although they're pretty steep.

Now, where can I get jalape?o peppers? :(
  • mavi: rather than buy the uber-expensive crisco shortening, some baking shops have generic shortening that costs P80/kilo.

chocolate lovers - cubao, d. tuazon, jupiter (cheapest)
    cook's exchange - glorietta, rockwell (more expensive but cheaper than crisco)
  • hi guys,
    does anyone know where i can buy HUMMUS? I'm addicted to it and want to serve it a party I'm throwing!
  • hi flingbee, try uncle ed's at UN avenue for your indian needs. =P
  • thanks pink lemonade!
  • Hi Michai, thanks for the tip! I've actually been to Uncle Ed's on UN Ave, ages ago! But hummus isn't an indian dish/dip/whatever, is it? Isn't it more mediterranean/arabic? Uncle Ed's has arabic stuff too?
  • Joey23Joey23 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    santis also
  • saan ako makaka kita ng mint extract?
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Since Terry Selection has been mentioned here...has anyone tried their resto? They serve Spanish and French fare; the menu changes daily, if I'm not mistaken. I want to get feedback and prices before I try it myself.

You can get raw foie gras from Terry Selection, for about 2k per liver. And canned duck confit! And cinnamon sticks and fresh whole nutmeg. And paella and risotto rice. And chocolate liquer. And illy coffee.
  • where can i buy soy beans?
  • to the thread starter: dry sherry is actually a substitute for for shao sing (sp???), a chinese red wine.

I saw peanut oil and dry yeast at Super Sale Club, SM City North EDSA, oil and baking section respectively.

Where can I buy buttermilk?
  • GilmoreGalGilmoreGal PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I havn't seen buttermilk, but i think i saw powdered buttermilk in Choclate lover's, what are you making? You can always substitute...

Taken fromhere
    Substitutions for Buttermilk
    These subs. are good for baking and batters - not for uncooked foods like dressings.
    For 1 cup buttermilk select one:
    1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • ff_ff_ PEx Rookie ⭐
    Crisco Butter-Flavored shortening : I saw one at Landmark's supermarket before

Japanese condiments/ingredients: there are japanese sections on almost every supermarket (SM/Landmark?Makati Supermarket, etc) or you can go to Park Square, sa tabi ng Goldilocks malapit sa bus terminal, there's a japanese grocery store there, forgot ko lang pangalan.

Now where can I find cajun seasoning (powdered) aside from rustan's? (medyo expensive kase yung andun because organic siya, around P300 ata). I went to Makati supermarket naman kanina, mukhang na out-of-stock na sila.