Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Where to buy those hard-to-find ingredients (or possible substitutes)

Comments

• where can i buy dry yeast?
  • where can i buy the wrapper of soft taco? n what is it called?
    soft flour tortilla ba? tnx in advance!
  • Originally posted by mp3
    n what is it called?
    soft flour tortilla ba? tnx in advance!

its called tortilla. there are two kinds- flour and corn.
  • Originally posted by punchy
    where can i buy dry yeast?

for baking ba? you can find it sa groceries.. sm.. unimart.. etc..

CALUMET is a popular brand.. cheap din..
  • BadGiRLBadGiRL PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ang alam ko, you can get five spice from any chinese drug store. gagawin nila yung pag nag order ka.Fresh pa.
  • Originally posted by SuGarPluMBeAvEr

for baking ba? you can find it sa groceries.. sm.. unimart.. etc..

CALUMET is a popular brand.. cheap din..

correction.. RED STAR pala yun brand.. calumet is baking powder, i think.. halos pareho kasi yun packaging.. sorry guys!
  • hello! I just bought a reciepe book (fish dishes) it is a Star Fire book. I think the receipe book is made in London. I dont have any experinces in cooking but my dad knows how. My problem is I dont know some of the ingredients in the receipe and dont know what is the local name of the ingredients.

Right now Im trying to do Chunky Halibut Casserole and Fish Balls in Hot Yellow Bean Sauce. I'll be posting other ingredients I dont know on the next dishes Im going to try to cook. :)

eto yung mga ingredients na hindi ko alam kung anong pangalan locally and hindi ko rin alam kung ano at saan pwedeng bilhin.

1. 450g/1lbs courgettes, trimmed and thickly slice

2. 1tbsp. paprika

3. 300ml/1/2 pint white wine <--- is there a substitute kung walang white wine???

4. 400g can chooped tomatoes <---where can i buy?

5. 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil

6. 450g/1 lb halibut fillet, skinned and cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes <--- ano yung halibut? may tawag ba dito locally?

7. sprigs of fresh basil to garnish <---- whats basil???

eto naman para sa yellow bean sauce ng Fish Balls in Hot Yellow Bean Sauce:

1. Fish or Chicken Stock <--- ano ito????

2. Yeallow Bean sauce <--- ano ito?? saan ba pwedeng bumili?

3. Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry <---- whats this?

thats all for now guys... pasensya na rin kung marami akong hindi alam na ingredients... :( sana may makatulong sa akin... :rolleyes:

Thnx!
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You can boil the fish's head and bones to make fish stock.

You can boil chicken bones and what's left of the chicken after you carve it for chicken stock.

If you don't want to tire yourself, just add maggi chicken boulion (not sure of spelling) cubes to hot water.

By chooped tomatoes, do you mean chopped tomatoes in a can? Why not chop fresh tomatoes instead.

Basil IS available locally, I forgot it's local name. You can most likely buy basil and paprika at the spices and herbs section of most supermarkets, particularly those found in malls.

Dry sherry and white wine are also available at supermarkets found in malls.

For courgettes, I used google and found courgettes It's a relative of the squash (kalabasa). Also, by using google, i found that you might be able to buy yellow bean sauce from a Thailand food specialty store.

Want to know something funny? Well , I don't cook. I just love to eat and watch a lot of cooking shows when I have time;)
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You could also use stock to substitute the white wine, if you're really stumped. You could buy some cheap local white wine though.

The Chinese rice wine might come out cheaper than the sherry. I guess the cookbook placed that as an option, since, you did say it was London-based, and Chinese wine does not come as easily a sherry.

Canned chopped tomatoes are also availble in the supermarkets, but fresh would be just fine.

Fresh basil would be found in the refrigerated vegetable section. I'd dissuade you from using dry here, since the recipe calls for fresh.

You never knew what basil and sherry were?! *shock*
  • how about the courgettes? whats the local name of it? and meron ba sa local market nito?

thnx for the replies! :)
  • courgettes are zuchinni (sp?) and aubergines are eggplants
  • saan bang thailand specialty store ang malapit dito sa manila - quezon city? or saan ba pwedeng bumili ng YELLOW BEAN SAUCE? :)

My next recepie is FISH ROULADES with RICE & SPINACH and FRESH TUNA SALAD

here are the ingredients I dont know on Fish Roulades w/ Rice & Spinach:

1. Lemon sole, skinned <--- meron ba sa supermarket ang lemon?
    2. Fennel Seeds <--- whats this? at where to buy?
    3. DRY White Wine <--- DRY????
    4. Half-fat creme fraiche <---- ano ito? meron ba nito dito?
    5. Parsley <--- been eating parsley rice pero ano ito? at where to buy?

pag "Fish Fillet" ba anong klase ito? kahit anong fish ba??? at ano yung Roulades??

here is the ingredients I dont know on Fresh Tuna Salad

1. Mixed Salad Leaves <--- saan ba makakabili nito?
    2. Baby Cherry Tomatoes <--- tomatoe din ba ito?
    3. Rocket Leaves <---- ano ito????
    4. Groundnut Oil <--- saan ba makakabili nito?
    5. Fresh PARMESAN Cheese <--- anong klaseng cheese ito?

thnx!
  • Most of the ingrdients you listed are readily available in stores like rustans and santis.

Sole can be found in rustans----Dapa is a cheaper alternative but there is a difference in taste.

fennel can be found in the spice aisle of the supermarket.

Rustans also has a nice selection of vegetables for salads---ask the sales clerks they're very helpful.

There are a variety of cheeses and wines at santi's----the staff is also very helpful----sometimes they also have creme fraiche
  • Battousai1, here are some answers to your questions:

1. Dry white wine is white wine that is not sweet.
    2. Creme Fraiche is like sour cream. You can make your own by putting a few tablespoons of either buttermilk or vinegar to whole milk and letting it rest till it thickens up.
    3. Parsley comes in two forms, flat leaf and Italian parsley. Chinese parsley or cilantro is a possible substitute.
    4. Fish fillet can mean a fillet of any fish, but usually of white fish.
    5. Cherry tomatoes are those small tomatoes the size of a large marble or Gobbstopper.
    6. Rocket is another name for Arugula. It is used in salads and has a peppery mustard flavor.
  • where can i buy S & W stewed tomatoes?

or any stewed tomatoes that is slightly sweet.

tnx
  • DaneDane PEx Rookie ⭐
    I'm interested in trying japanese recipes. Where's the best place I can find japanese condiments and seasonings? Aside from Unimart. Thanks.
  • Where can I buy parmigiano reggiano, prosciutto, & pancetta in PiNAS?
  • Originally posted by NOKiE
    Where can I buy parmigiano reggiano, prosciutto, & pancetta in PiNAS?
    They are parmesan cheese, ham and bacon repectively. Baka meron sa Santi's.

Saan meron pine nuts? :confused:
  • Santi's is probably the most oftenly mentioned place in this and I suspect in other threads. Is it a deli? Would they also have kobe steak?
  • There's a deli in Rockwell that sells hard-to-find stuff. it's beside the tennis courts. :)