Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure

Balikbayans...hate them...love them...one of them?

13»

Comments

• ako_pating wrote:
    another way to spot them is through the balikbayan boxes! hehe, we had to use 2 vans to fetch my balikbayan relatives not because they were too many (in fact, two adults and two kids lang nga sila eh, hehe) but because they brought along 6 big boxes filled with pasalubong. :D

speaking of boxes. nung pauwi na ako from japan, nakakatuwa yung mga kasabayan ko na magbabalikbayan. mao-obvious mo talaga na pinoy kasi ang dami nilang dala na nissin's cup noodles seafood flavor :)
  • and to answer that question from the thread starter if the balikbayans are rich? I think not, really. OFW living abroad are earning a fat pay if you convert them to our currency here, but to think of the expenses they have to incur/cost of living to where they are based and you'll be surprised that even a six-digit converted compensation would just appear as a minimum wage to where they are based. I happen to have visited another country sometime last year and believe me that I can't believe the fact that a Pepsi in can or a bottled water costs around P60, I can't stop to convert every expense in peso for me to scrimp on a tight-budget. Add the fact also that they have to pay for rent, everyday expenses kaya bibilib ka sa mga OFW Balikbayan how they scrimp in order to send or remit to their loved ones here in pinas.

Maybe there are balikbayans who are flashy with what they have but it's their right to do so. It's their hard-earned money. As long as hindi naman sila nakakasakit o nakakasagasa ng ibang tao.
  • and to answer that question from the thread starter if the balikbayans are rich? I think not, really. OFW living abroad are earning a fat pay if you convert them to our currency here, but to think of the expenses they have to incur/cost of living to where they are based and you'll be surprised that even a six-digit converted compensation would just appear as a minimum wage to where they are based. I happen to have visited another country sometime last year and believe me that I can't believe the fact that a Pepsi in can or a bottled water costs around P60, I can't stop to convert every expense in peso for me to scrimp on a tight-budget. Add the fact also that they have to pay for rent, everyday expenses kaya bibilib ka sa mga OFW Balikbayan how they scrimp in order to send or remit to their loved ones here in pinas.

Maybe there are balikbayans who are flashy with what they have but it's their right to do so. It's their hard-earned money. As long as hindi naman sila nakakasakit o nakakasagasa ng ibang tao.

you hit it right on the head. the cost of living here in the US is crazy. a small house here (chicago, il) will easily set you back about $250,000 and that's for a fairly small one. starbucks' drinks here roughly cost about $4.00 for a grande drink. $50,000 to $75,000 salary here is still considered lower middle class. trust me, you guys have it lucky there.
  • kameron4: your from chicago? my cousins are from chicago din!
  • kameron4: your from chicago? my cousins are from chicago din!

yes, i am. the beautiful windy city. :kyle: